{4th summer}

Summers with Hae (I remember…)

 

{4th summer}

 

I remember the first time we fought… I would have laughed remembering it, our little misunderstanding but now I utterly see no point in smiling much less laugh…

Wait for me Donghae

 

---

 

I have this cousin that came with us this summer. His name is Eunhyuk and he’s older than me for a couple of years, but even though we have that we were close because he’s my only male cousin.

 

Eunhyuk is an adrenalin junkie and he’s into skate boarding and now he’s bugging me to ride wild waves but I can’t because for starters there’s no wild waves in the beach here and I at surfing so I told him I’ll let him meet my friend who surfs; Donghae.

 

I went to Donghae’s house alone because by the looks of my cousin I don’t think if Mr. Lee sees him he’d allow Hae to go with us. Everything in my cousin screams trouble, but he just looks like it but he never used drugs, he just drinks alcohol and occasionally smokes, but my mom made him promise not to do it when he’s with us. His face has piercings and he has tats which I envy, by the way.

 

I noticed that Mr. Lee’s police mobile isn’t in the driveway so I figured I’d go straight to the front door and ring the bell. Donghae answered and I gave him a hug and welcomed me in. I told him about my cousin and his plan of surfing.

 

“Oh” He said. “Okay” but he seemed disappointed

 

“Why, is there any problem?” I asked.

 

“No, I just had plans for us this summer... but never mind”

 

“If we still have time we’ll do it. I promise”

 

“Je manqué toujours de temps” He said and I didn’t understand it, because it was just a mumble I’m not even sure if I was meant to hear it.

 

“Huh?”

 

“It’s French. I just said Okay, sure” He said

 

But I didn’t believe him though I just nodded. I’d try to read a little French.

 

---

 

When we arrived on the beach surf boards in hand, we meet my cousin by the small outdoor raw bar and he seemed to have gained new friends. Girls; there weren’t girls like them who hang around the beach when I’m here with Donghae, where the hell did they all came from?

 

“Hey you’re back” Eunhyuk said and we did our weird hand shake. He smelled of alcohol but I let it pass because He seemed sober.

 

“Yeah this is my friend Donghae, He’s the one I told you about” I said to him and gestured towards Donghae. He shook his hand and smiled at Donghae.

 

“Oh, Hi nice to meet you” My cousin said, well did I mention that my cousin is bi-ual? Well he is and by the looks of it He seemed to think that Donghae is cute. Eccck Pedo er!

 

“So let’s go surf?” I said to him cutting him off.

 

“Uh… mind if I pass?” He suddenly said.

 

“What? I thought you wanted to surf?” I tried not to look angry.

 

“Well these girls invited me into a house party” He said and cocked his head towards the girls sitting on the bar area in their bikinis. Well Him!

 

“Well that , we have our plans dude but we put if off because you wanted to surf!” I said to him, I’m going to burst and just punch my favorite cousin on the face for ditching us.

 

“I’m sorry Okay. You guys can come with us right girls?” He said and the 3 girl’s looked at each other and the blonde one who seemed to be their leader stood up the stool and walked towards us.

 

“Um your cousin is okay to come but I don’t know with the cop’s kid” She said and flipped her long curly hair. Total .

 

They all looked at Donghae. They are ing afraid that Donghae might talk to his dad, are they going to do something illegal in that house party that’s why they wouldn’t want Donghae to come along?

 

“He’s no trouble” I said immediately coming to Donghae’s defense. He wouldn’t tattle tale.

 

“I don’t think so; His father is the police here” The other girl who’s been sitting on a bar stool with the others was the one who talked and the other girls just nodded in agreement.

 

“But-” I said but Donghae cuts me off.

 

“It’s okay. I should go home anyways” He said and walks away, He jogged on the sand towards where we came in from where our bikes we’re parked. I saw him enter the room where they keep the surf boards.

 

“Hey” I called him; He was tying his surf board inside, beside all the other boards.

 

“You go back to your cousin Kyuhyun. I’m fine” He said but he doesn’t sound fine.

 

“Hey I told you we’d hang out, let’s do what you planned for us this summer it isn’t that late yet and then we could have dinner back at my place, we could call your dad at the police station”

 

“It’s already late for it. I’m just going home, my dad hates to eat alone” He said when he passed by me through the door. He headed for the bikes, removing the locks.

 

“Hey don’t be like this” I said while restraining him to unlock the chains in the bike. He sighed and stood up, he face me.

 

“Can’t you see? No one likes me around because of my dad, and I’m used to it, I just have to be, because it always has been like this. I have no friends except for adults” He said.

 

“I’m your friend” I said not really bothering masking the hurt in my voice. I thought we we’re friends already because I consider him my friend.

 

“During summer, yes, but what about when you’re not here?” He said with his voice raised an octave.

 

“That’s why I keep coming back here because I know you have no friends”

 

“Is it pity?”

 

“What? No, it’s not like that!”

 

“I thought so. Well Good Bye”

 

“Well if you thought I befriended you because I pity you, then you for thinking so lowly of me! I befriended you because I thought you we’re different from them but now, I think you have proven me wrong” I said and kicked and punched the wooden wall of the storage area of the surf boards.

 

“Do you think I have many friends back home? You we’re the only one closest to being a friend to me, that’s why I keep coming back here in this small town because I have a friend here but right now I feel like .” I faced him, He seemed shock with my outburst.

 

“I’m sorry” He just said and He was looking at my fist which hurt really bad but I didn’t care.

 

“Whatever Donghae” I just said.

 

I left him and went with my cousin. I didn’t stay there long, the people at the party are there to get wasted and get laid. I can’t take it so I just went home and slept.

 

That night as I lie awake on bed, I wondered if I will come back here for the next summer.

 

I spent my summer reading books and painting at the attic of my grandparent’s house. No one knew I was there all summer and I didn’t see DongHae again.