{2nd summer}

Summers with Hae (I remember…)

 

{2nd summer}

 

I remember the time you gave me your dad’s bicycle. It meant a lot to me that you gave up something that you treasure. I felt important.

 

---

 

“What are we doing here?” I asked Donghae, We we’re in a yard and we we’re sneaking to the back, over the fence of the house.

 

He brought me here because He said he was tired of the beach and wanted to do something else. I was looking forward for more surfing because I wanted to beat Hae at it but He seemed to be not in the mood to spend another summer in the beach.

 

“Where just going inside” He said.

 

“Are we allowed to just break in here? I mean we can get caught you know” I said to him. I didn’t want to cause any trouble because in a small town like this, if I get in trouble my parents will know about it in a blink of an eye and I’m sure as hell I don’t want to spend my summer grounded.

 

“Relax this is my house, I’m going to show you something”

 

“If this is your house why are we sneaking?”

 

“Because if my dad sees us, he’s going to keep in and I don’t want that, so come on!”

 

I followed him through the back yard and into a door. It was dark inside when He closed the door behind him. I heard a click and the room was suddenly bright.

 

The garage was small, with a car parked. On the sides were tools and other things that are stored in a garage normally.

 

I saw Hae walk towards a corner with something that was covered with a gray tarp. “There they are” He said and smiled back at me. “Help me here Kyu”

 

I walked over to help him remove the dusty sheeting. When we finally have it removed I realized that under the covers were bikes.

 

“Ta-da~” He said with matching gestures of the hand showing off the bikes.

 

“Bikes?”

 

“Yeah, they’re my mom and dad’s. My dad and I use to ride them around town but he’s always busy with work ever since mom died, he never rides with me.”

 

“Oh, Is it alright that we use them?”

 

“Of course, let’s clean them first then let’s have it test driven”

 

We cleaned the bikes, removing the dusts and trying to see if the breaks still works and the handle bars are movable. We put oils on the chains and after everything we decided to go for a spin to see if the bikes are still on good condition.

 

We snuck the bikes out the way we entered. The bikes are great so Hae gave me a tour around town. He showed me the park, the only mall they have there, a fishing pond, a bookstore, I found out that Hae loves to read and He nagged me to read his favorite books.

 

We went to his aunt and She treated us hotdogs and French friends from her grocery store. Hae also introduced me to a couple of people which I forget the names after they have been said. I’m not pretty good at remembering names.

 

I noticed that all his friends were adults and no teens, like our age. I can see why he didn’t have friends his age, because he was an old soul. Hae doesn’t mind what other people say and he thinks differently, but I like him. I don’t like to spend time with kids my age too because all they have brought me was trouble, but Hae was different maybe that’s why we became friends.

 

Before I left I gave him our home phone, but he said he doesn’t have a telephone at home and even if he does have his father will kill him for long distance calls and a payphone was an hour of bike ride but I still gave it to him.