{5th summer}

Summers with Hae (I remember…)

 

{5th summer}

 

I remember when I came back the next summer and you weren’t there anymore. They said you moved to the city. I was hoping that we could start over but I guess time ran out.

 

Je manqué toujours de temps…

Trans: My time always runs out…

 

---

 

I breathe in deeply and then rapped my knuckles on the door of Donghae’s house.

 

Tap

 

Tap

 

Tap

 

No one answers. I tried to peer through the window but it was dark like a cloth has been draped over the glass from the inside. I knocked again.

 

Tap

 

Tap

 

Tap

 

Still nothing, I guess no one is home. I tried coming in from the back, the back door is closed too and no sign of anyone inside. The garage too was closed and I tried to look inside the window and as expected there was no car inside.

 

I’ve been coming back in their house and the place stayed deserted. I was feeling more and more depressed. Has he moved out because of me? There was something else too. Worry, Yes I was worried about my friend and hurt too because he didn’t even called me or left a note. He just disappeared.

 

I rode my bike around town and tried to find the police station, maybe I could ask where Officer Lee is and Donghae. When I arrived on the station, there was an old guy on the information desk.

 

I asked him about Officer Lee and I told them I was friends with his son. I introduced myself and He seemed to have smiled when I said my last name. He asked me if I was in anyway related to the Cho Family and I said I was a grandson.

 

“I came to their house and it was empty. I was wondering where they went” I said to the officer.

 

“So you’re Hae’s friend?” He checked.

 

I nodded

 

“Well Officer Lee left a couple of weeks ago, He’s on in an indefinite leave. He and his son are in the city right now” The officer said, my shoulders slumped.

 

“Sir, Officer, do they have a phone number or something so I could be in touch?” I asked, I didn’t want my friendship with Donghae to end up just like this. If we are going to part ways I would like it to be in good terms. I’m not sure if I would still be here if they come back and next summer is way too long to wait and talk to him. I want him to know that I was Sorry and that I forgive him and that we could still be friends if he wanted to.

 

I just hope it’s not too late yet.

 

“I’ll refer you inside” He said and he made a call and lets me go inside various office. I got the number and an address too. I can’t go there but I can send a letter or something to him. He still knows my number back home and the number at my grandma’s house. We could talk over the phone.

 

I biked fast home eager to dial Donghae’s number, I have to talk to him, too many days have been wasted because of our silly misunderstandings and both of us have been too stubborn to talk to one another. I’m backing down, I’m giving up, I need my friend, and the summer is awfully lonely without him.

 

---

 

Ring

 

Ring

 

Ring

 

“Hello Lee Residence” A thick deep voice answered the phone. It’s Mr. Lee I guessed.

 

“Hello” I croaked, I was fidgeting on the sofa. “Good evening Sir, can I please speak with Donghae?” I said after clearing my throat.

 

“Who’s this?” He asked.

 

“It’s Kyhyun Cho, Officer Lee” I introduced myself

 

“Oh, Donghae is… sleeping” He said, He seemed to be hesitating.

 

“Oh I’m sorry” I said “I guess I’ll just call him tomorrow instead. Please tell him Sir that to call me if he can.”

 

“Sure thing”

 

I gave him our phone number just to be sure if Donghae lost my number. But no call came and I can’t contact them anymore. Did He hate me so much that he wouldn’t even talk to me anymore? That he’d go out of his way (or hometown for that matter) just so he couldn’t see me again?

 

I just stayed on the attic and after a few days of sulking up there every day, someone knocked on the floor door of the attic. I just ignored it but the one who’s knocking was really insistent and I can’t concentrate with my sketch with the noise.

 

“GO AWAY!” I shouted but I heard the door creaked, it was being opened. I regret not latching it awhile ago. Some people don’t know the meaning of go away.

 

“I said-” I was going to say go away but I saw someone I’ve been wanting to see and talk too. It seemed unreal but yeah Donghae came and he was staring at my works, my paintings and sketches.

 

“Hi” He said.

 

I stood up and just hugged him and say sorry. He forgave me and he said he was sorry too. Everything was just a huge misunderstanding.

 

I noticed he was thinner. Loss a few pounds and paler, I told him he changed so much.

 

“Well I just need some sun. I missed the beach”

 

We went to the beach and just made sand castles just like the first time we met. We started over. He told me that they just visited someone in the city and that was the only time his dad could be on leave. He didn’t have time to contact me because he lost my phone number and when his father told him about my phone call they we’re already returning so he didn’t have time to call too.

 

He spend time on the beach until the sun finally sets, sadly tomorrow I’ll be going back because school resumes the day after tomorrow.

 

“I’ll be waiting for you”