{6th summer}

Summers with Hae (I remember…)

 

{6th summer}

 

I remember flying kites with you and staying at the attic and you read while I paint… those are the memories that will stay with me, the happy ones.

 

You are my best friend

 

­---

 

We we’re seated under the umbrella on the sand, while watching our kites soar up the blue skies. We are just there, quiet. Donghae is playing with the sand, writing on it, or drawing.

 

“How did you learn to paint and sketch?” He suddenly asked me. He was still playing with the sand creating waves with his hands. He didn’t look at me.

 

“I don’t know but when I was handed a sketch pad, I just started painting and drawing” I answered while looking up to our matching kites.

 

“When?” He urged.

 

“In 3rd grade I guess” It was the first time was interested in arts and that was what he remembered. His teacher gave them an activity to just draw something and I ended up having 3 stars for it.

 

“No one thought you?”

 

“When my mom saw my work my parents enrolled me to some classes”

 

“Did you have a live model?” He asked and I laughed. “No, that class is for the pros”

 

“You consider yourself not pro? Jeez what am I then? Is there something beyond a newbie? I draw like !”

 

I laughed at his statement. When our laughing dies out I asked something more serious.

 

“Do you miss your mom? Or having a mom?”

 

Donghae sighed with he smiled so I guess the topic for him is okay. He looked up to the sky, staring beyond the flying kites. “In some point yes but my dad, he really tries so hard to be a mother and father to me at the same time I love him and there’s nothing I could wish for, my dad could be hard on me sometimes but it’s all because he loves me and I know that mom is in a happy place now. A peaceful one with no sickness, I don’t want her to suffer”

 

I just nodded because seriously there’s nothing more to add to that.

 

“What are your plans for college?” He asked me stirring out of the heavy subject.

 

“I don’t know, maybe architecture or fine arts” I said but I haven’t decided on what to take yet.

 

“Where? You know the University here is pretty good too” He said and he was grinning ear to ear. I fisted a hand full of sand and playfully threw it at his outstretch legs.

 

“Hey are you suggesting I live and study here instead?” I mocked a horrified look.

 

“I’m just saying, you know… options are good. It’s time for a change don’t you think? Small town life is exciting you know!” He said and threw sand at me too.

 

“Exactly! Maybe the city is your next adventure Donghae, You know... options are good.” He laughed and wrapped his arm around my neck playfully choke me. After our laughed died down I said “Ow well I don’t know for sure what school I’ll be going to, I just want to enjoy the summer and think about it when I have to”

 

“No worries” He said.

 

“Exactly” I agreed.

 

“You? What are you going to take up in college?” I asked him.

 

“Maybe, Literature If I get to college” He said and there was sadness in his voice though he is smiling but it never reached his eyes.

 

“Huh? What do you mean? Is it financial?” I asked,

 

“Nothing. No Worries remember?” he said. I’m sure my father could help him get to college, Donghae is smart, and he can pass a scholarship or something. I’d talk to dad about it when the right time comes.

 

“Okay fine.”

 

Donghae got hungry so we go back to our house and my grandma prepared us some pudding and coconut smoothie. My parents and little sister was out town shopping and watching a movie and grandpa is out fishing.

 

After eating grandma’s famous pudding we headed to the attic. Donghae just sat down on the carpet with bunch of throw pillows around him, he seemed deeply occupied with the book he is reading.

 

I was continuing a sketch I’ve been doing but when I saw Donghae slumped down on the floor I just had to change my paper and started to sketch him. It has became a routine for us that summer, go to the beach then go home to eat, sometimes we bond with grandma and grandpa playing card games and when my parents are there they would play with us but most of the day are spent up in the attic, He reads and I sketch. I’m happy now that everything went back to normal.