Alone on Christmas?

Shinee's Stories of Love---One-Shot Collection

 

Title: Alone on Christmas?
 
Character/s: Jonghyun, Hyegun(OC)
 
 
 
 
-Choi Hyegun-
 
It was a sunny afternoon five months ago when Hyegun choose to sit on a table beside the window of her favorite fast food in town and to wait for her boyfriend Jonghyun who was ordering food for the both of them.
 
"Hey." he whispered on her ear, Hyegun flinched and looked behind her to see Jonghyun smiling while carrying a tray.
 
Jonghyun settled on the seat across her, and placed the tray in front of him. Hyegun frowned when she saw only one plate of food on the tray.
 
"Why only one? Where's mine?" She pouted, Jonghyun chuckled.
 
"It's for you, yeobo." Jonghyun said.
 
"But how about you?" Hyegun wondered, he smiled.
 
"I'm already full." 
 
"Full, you already ate without me?" Hyegun complained and took the plate but Jonghyun slapped her hands.
 
"Yah!" She exclaimed.
 
"I'm going to feed you." Hyegun blushed.
 
"F-feed me?" She asked making sure she heard it right, Jonghyun nodded and scooped the meal with a spoon and put it in on front of Hyegun's face. "Open up." He ordered.
 
Hyegun hesitated then opened to receive the food.
 
Jonghyun chuckled fascinated by seeing her blush.
 
 
~
 
 
Three months ago, when Jonghyun surprised Hyegun with a bouquet of twenty five white roses on her door step smiling as if he owns the universe.
 
"What's this for?" Hyegun asked, surprise was still drawn on her face.
 
"Nothing important, just thought of you when I saw the flowers." He says.
 
"Aigoo~" Hyegun sighed taking the bouquet and smelling the beautiful flowers.
 
 
~
 
 
Just a week ago, He took her to the Theme park and spent the whole day together, nothing was happier that time.
 
Hyegun glared at the ceiling while waiting for Jonghyun to wake up, they were at the usual fast food they used to eat every lunch, where Jonghyun would feed her and now, sleep while with her, not even bothering to ask how she was.
 
Hyegun sighed, and collected her things beside her and prepared to leave, but Jonghyun grabbed her arm and pulled her to sit beside him.
 
"Where are you going?" He asked looking up at her sleepily.
 
"Anywhere, I'm bored here." She shot. Jonghyun didn't say anything and let go of her arm shutting his eyes again.
 
"Go." He ordered, she felt like crying at what he said, she didn't wait and charged outside the diner to stomp her feet and growl in anger. She glared back at the restaurant and thought of the days they have been spending hours inside while talking about things about their life and laugh together with the jokes they would tell each other.
 
It was a good eight months of being a sweet and perfect boyfriend but he was now acting like a monster.
 
She bit her lower lip and pulled her tears in, sighing for a very long moment, she finally left the fast food and walked her way to anywhere her feet would take her.
 
It was dawn when she realized that she had walked a long way, then she caught a glimpse of the sparkling little lights in the streets, a sign that Christmas is approaching, she faked a laugh.
 
"Christmas." She sighed, and yanked her back on her shoulders and walked faster, ignoring the loud bamming of Christmas song on the stores she would pass by, her tears falling down from her eyes.
 
 
~
 
 
Hyegun ran as fast as she could but she was too slow to be fast enough.
 
Due to not having enough sleep the night before, she woke up late and now trying catch up with the time, she hustled to get the door of her classroom and sneaked in, good thing she took the back door, and no one noticed her came in.
 
She sighed when she was settled on her desk near the window, and took her notebook and started to take down notes.
 
"Hey." she heard a whisper on her right ear, she turned to her right and found her friend Teayeon smiling at her.
 
"Wae?" She asked. Taeyeon didn't say anything but handed her about five pieces of folded paper in different colors.
 
"Bwoyah?" She asked again taking the papers from her friend’s hand.
 
"Just check it out." Taeyeon smirked, Hyegun checked and read the paper one by one, it were actually date invitations, but why does she have so many?
 
She looked at Taeyeon who smiling at her.
 
"What do you think?" She asked, wiggling her eyebrows.
 
"What do I...think?" She repeated, Taeyeon made a face.
 
"About the letters, am I not popular?" She boasted. Hyegun snorted and chuckled.
 
"I think it's really early it's just the first week of December, aren't they seem so excited?" Hyegun asked and shook her shoulder.
 
"Aish~ what's important is I won't have any problems about not having a date on Christmas eve." Taeyeon aid and looked away, Hyegun was astound at what she said and thought of Jonghyun, she was right, she won't have any problem choosing a date on Christmas eve because she has a lot of invitations.
 
Hyegun looked down on her notebook and sighed heavily.
 
 
~~~
 
 
"Call or not to call?" Hyegun chanted while staring at her phone blankly, arguing with herself whether or not to call Jonghyun.
 
She wanted to see him, but she didn't know if he wanted to see her too.
 
"Whatever, I'll call." Hyegun finally decided after a long moment of thinking and arguing with herself, and dialed Jonghyun's number on her cell phone.
 
She stared at it before pressing the call button and put on her ear, it rang twice and Jonghyun finally picked up.
 
"Eo?" He asked, sounding as lazy as before.
 
"Can we meet today?" She hesitated, it was quiet on the other line, she waited and was about to tell Jonghyun that she changed her mind but Jonghyun spoke.
 
"Where?" He asked, Hyegun's hope flared up, and told him to meet him at the usual place they meet, at her favorite fast food, she looked forward on the meeting this afternoon.
 
 
~~
 
 
Hyegun has been waiting for more than twenty minutes for Jonghyun to come.
 
Thirty.
 
Forty.
 
One hour has passed but Jonghyun was still out of sight, Hyegun sighed in disappointment and decided to just leave.
 
"Sorry I'm late." she turned around and saw Jonghyun looking down at her, his hands stuck in his pocket.
 
"Oppa." She huffed. "Why are you late? I've been waiting for like forever." she exclaimed making a hand gesture.
 
"You should have just left." He said, this surprised Hyegun a lot that it left her speechless, she scoffed.
 
"Is that all that you say to me? I've waited for more than an hour here for you Kim Jonghyun, if you you don't want to see me, tell me, don't do this to me!" She yelled in frustration and didn't wait for Jonghyun to say anything else that can hurt her, she charged away but stopped and looked back.
 
"By the way, I was here to tell you that I'm breaking up, I'm sick of you." She lied putting up a tough expression and left the diner.
 
 
~~~
 
 
She slammed the door behind her threw her bag on her bed screaming 'I hate you' and kicked her shoes from her foot hitting and breaking the glass vase oh her study table.
 
Her tears were streaming down her face.
 
"What did I ever do to you?!" She screamed harder throwing herself on her bed and sobbed oh her pillow.
 
This was supposed to be their first Christmas together but he just ruined it big time.
 
Taeyeon’s Christmas eve date invitations crossed her mind and she felt a surge of jealousy towards her friend.
 
She was going to be alone on Christmas.
 
She sobbed harder, letting all her anger out, and hitting the pillow with her fist.
 
 
~~~
 
 
It was lunch time the next day and Hyegun decided to eat alone but Taeyeon won't leave her alone, so she let her tail her and just talk while she ate quietly.
 
"Aigoo~ I received another invitation this morning when I checked my locker but just one, anyway I never knew I'm these popular." She gushed and looked up dreamily clasping her hands together.
 
Hyegun ignored her.
 
"Yah, Hyegun-ah, what are you going to with Jonghyun-oppa?" Taeyeon asked, looking at Hyegun with so much hope in her eyes.
 
Hyegun shook her head. "So who are you going with?" She asked to shift Taeyeon’s attention, and fortunately it worked, Taeyeon started to tell and tell.
 
 Hyegun just listened but didn't really understand what she was saying, she was just too absentminded.
=
 
Hyegun went immediately to her locker after their class has ended hoping to get home early, she didn't wait for Taeyeon that has been talking to the guy she was going with on Christmas eve.
 
She opened her locker and was surprised to see a small pink paper lying inside, her name that was written in silver ink was the first thing she noticed, she took the paper and opened it.
 
The message was short and not written by hand but was printed, she read;
 
 
                                                  Hyegun-ssi, 
                                                              Annyeong, can I talk to you informally? 
                                                              I just want to be friends if it's okay with you, be safe on the way home ^_^
 
 
"That's all?" She breathe scornfully and shook her head crumpling the piece of paper and throwing it back to her locker. She closed the door of her locker and yanked her back pack to her shoulder and left the school.
 
She walked her way home inhaling and exhaling the smoke of her breath that was forming because of the negative twenty degree weather and stuck her hands in the pocket of her coat.
 
She kicked the white powdered snow that was blocking her way until she was finally in front of their house.
 
She stopped when she saw a bouquet of red roses on their door step and picked it up.
 
She looked for a note, but there was none she snorted and threw the bouquet on the nearest trashcan and went inside the house.
 
On the next day she found another bouquet of flower on their doorstep but this time it weren't roses, and this time there was a note, saying good morning again the note was not written by hand, and yet again she threw it away.
 
She found another note in her locker again when she opened it, she didn't bother to read it and threw it away.
 
It wasn't the letter and flowers that she wanted to receive at the moment, in fact she doesn’t want to receive anything, just an apology from Jonghyun if possible, but maybe it wasn't.
 
He didn't even bothered to catch up on her the day she broke up with him, he did nothing but watch her leave. He didn't bother to do anything at all.
 
The day passed and on each of it, she would either receive a letter or a bouquet of flower, she tried to read the letters she receive from the mysterious person but she doesn't feel happy at all, he just remind her that Jonghyun let her go on a very special season, that now seems to feel like nothing to her.
 
It was two days before the Christmas Eve when she decided to go out of their house.
 
Like the usual, a bouquet of flower greeted her on the doorstep, she sighed and picked it up and noticed that something was lying underneath the big bouquet of flower, it was another one, but was smaller and has fewer red roses on it, actually there were only three roses with a small note stuck inside.
 
Curious, she put down the bigger bouquet and picked up the smaller one, she read the note and was surprise to see that it was hand written, and it was from some she didn't thought of sending her flower.
 
 
                                                          Meet me at the Namsan Tower on Christmas eve, Please.
                                                                                                                                       Jonghyun
 
 
She stared at it for a long moment, the words echoing inside her head.
 
"Meet me at Namsan Tower? Are you kidding me?" She scoffed picking up the bigger bouquet and throwing the smaller one in the trash bin. "Meet my ." She cursed, looking down at the flower she just threw.
 
She turned to the other bouquet of flower that was resting on her arms, it also has a note, lazily, she read the letter, again it was printed and not hand written and it was obviously from the unknown person, and it says to please meet her at a restaurant on Christmas eve.
 
She was bothered by the letter, this person wants to meet her on her favorite restaurant, the place where she spent most of her time with Jonghyun before.
 
"Why of all places in Seoul?" She grimaced, and thought for a moment, this could give her a reason not to meet up with Jonghyun, this could piss him off, and this person has been patient and wasted so much of his time to stuck a letter in her locker and leave a bouquet of flower on her doorstep almost every day, why not give him a little credit for the effort, it doesn't mean she would meet up with him after Christmas eve.
 
She made up her mind and decided to meet up with the mysterious person rather that meeting up with Jonghyun who will be waiting at Namsan Tower for nothing.
 
 
~~~
 
 
It was six o'clock of the twenty-fourth when Hyegun decided to get dressed, she felt nervous but didn't know why, she thought it was just because she was meeting a stranger and maybe she was excited.
 
She shook the thought out of her head and combed her brown hair, looking at herself in the mirror intently.
 
"Why are you so nervous?" She breathe, not knowing what to do with her hair, she tied hair up but decided it was too cold to put her hair up and decided to just let it down.
 
Sighing to wash the nervous feeling away, she took her leather coat from her bed and charged out of the house.
 
She wasn't surprise to see another bouquet of flower on the doorstep, but tonight it looked special than the other one's she received before, there was note again.
 
 
Looking forward on seeing you tonight. <3
 
 
She smiled, maybe she shouldn't be nervous at all.
 
She took a deep breath and took off, carrying the bouquet on her arms.
 
Hyegun arrived in front of the diner at seven twenty-six.
 
Her eyebrows furrowed when she noticed that the lights inside the diner that was usually bright was now dark, it was almost seemed close, she grimaced and approached the door and noticed a 'close' sign hanging on it.
 
"Closed?" she exclaimed, her shoulders dropped.
 
"You came." Hyegun turned around expecting to see an unfamiliar face that she would assume to be the mystery person that was sending her flowers and letter, but it wasn't.
 
"Jonghyun?" He didn't move and just stared at her for the longest time, Hyegun rolled her eyes tried to get away from Jonghyun but he caught up with her and pulled her on her arm that was holding the bouquet of flower.
 
She was forced to face him, but avoided his eyes and struggled to release herself from his strong grip.
 
"What's this all about?" She snarled on his face when she can't get of.
 
However he looked at her softly in her eyes.
 
"Let me explain." He whispered, she glared at him and looked away.
 
"Let me go." she ordered.
 
"Listen to me." 
 
"Fine, just please let me go." She pleaded, he immediately let go of her arm but kept close to her. "What do you want?" she asked, not looking at him.
 
"Please come with me for a moment." He said, she glanced at him and rolled her eyes.
 
"Come with you? Wha--"
 
"Just a moment." he interrupted. Hyegun sighed and crossed her arms to her chest.
 
"Fine." She whispered, Jonghyun smiled faintly and took her hand, but she shoved it away.
 
"Don't touch me." Jonghyun frowned and bit his lip.
 
"Okay." he said, leading the way to the diner, Hyegun frowned and stopped on her tracks.
 
"What are you going to do there? It's closed." 
 
"Just follow me." she followed quietly behind him, till he reached the door and pushed, it moved and was now hanging open, he held the door and mentioned her to go inside.
 
She glared at him before going in but she didn't go further inside for she can't see anything, she felt Jonghyun followed behind her and closed the door.
 
"Wha--" The lights inside the diner came to life cutting Hyegun's words, it was not as bright as the usual but it was just enough to reveal the small round table standing alone at the center of the room, Hyegun gasped inwardly when she saw the table decorated in a very special way.
 
"I can't think of any way to bring you here tonight, I'm sorry if I lied." Jonghyun whispered behind her, she turned around gave him a questioning look, and glanced down at the bouquet of flower she was holding.
 
"It was you?" She mouthed, hesitating.
 
"I'm sorry." He repeated, his face was painted with so much remorse. Hyegun didn't know what to say, or even feel, she felt betrayed at the same time she was flabbergasted.
 
"I didn't realize you were that mad at me to break up with me." He commented smiling faintly. "I didn't know how to tell you that I was planning something like this, I want to keep it a surprise but you...you're just…so…impatient." He added.
 
"Why didn't you just tell me?" she shook her head.
 
"I told you, I want to keep this a surprise, but you just broke up with me." He explained.
 
"What about you, sleeping when you're with me? Huh? Does that count in this surprise thing?" Jonghyun let out a wistful laugh, and took something from his right pocket that looked like a small remote control, he pressed the red button and after a few seconds a soft music started to play.
 
Hyegun listened carefully to the music, then without a cue, Jonghyun inhaled and started singing.
 
Her tears fell down from her eyes as she listened to the song that was meant for her, the song that Jonghyun created and sang in front of her, for her.
 
Jonghyun took her free hand and kept singing his heart out, mentioning her name in the song while he looked straight into her eyes.
 
The song ended as Jonghyun touched her face and wiped the tears that were streaming down from her eyes.
 
"You're such a stubborn." Hyegun sobbed softly. Jonghyun chuckled.
 
"If I didn't keep it a surprise you wouldn't be crying of happiness right now." He said, she finally smiled and let out a low laugh.
 
"You made the song?" She asked, he wiggled his eyebrows.
 
"Like it? I recorded the piano myself." He boasted. "That's why I keep sleeping when we meet up, I'm always sleeping late because of that song." He smirked.
 
Hyegun snorted. "How did you know I was going to meet 'mystery guy' rather that you?" Jonghyun shrugged.
 
"I don't know, I just felt you hated me that much, and I know you didn't want to see me, and I figured that you wouldn't come here if 'i' asked you to, so I used 'mystery guy'."
 
"Aish~" Hyegun sighed and realized one thing. Jonghyun didn't change after all, he would never change, except that he became better, sweeter that before. It was just her that was impatient.
 
"I really thought I was going to be alone on Christmas." She pouted, Jonghyun chuckled and took her waist.
 
"You are alone." He stared into her eyes. "With me." he smirked and winked.
 
 
- E N D -
 
 
Key Oppa is next!!