The Christmas Spirit

Shinee's Stories of Love---One-Shot Collection

 

Title: The Christmas Spirit
 
Character/s: Onew, Rinrin (OC)
 
 
 
-Lee Jinki-
 
He scribbled on his notebook while staring at the crown of her head blankly, to her curly black hair then to her face, he sighed in contentment as he rested his chin on his fist on his desk.
 
It was his daily routine for the past few months when he met this girl, I mean seen. He would stare for a very long time, look away when she moves her head, then sigh every time she smiles, he was contented at that, he never attempted to approach or talk to her, because every time he does, something not so good happens to him.
 
He thought it was a curse, he is going to be alone for the rest of his life, he would never have a girlfriend until he dies.
 
He would usually sulks thinking of such things, and then he would eat chicken until his stomach feels like exploding.
 
He caught a glimpse of her smile this time, he smiled to himself.
 
"Yah." A familiar low voice called, but he didn't mind it, and kept on staring at her face.
 
"Yah." Another call, much closer now, again he didn't mind it, and kept on staring at her dreamily.
 
"Yah." a hand landed on Onew’s head hardly that he didn't have the chance to ignore it this time.
 
"Ouch!" Onew cried as he cover his head with his hands and ducked his head on his desk, he finally looked up and saw Jonghyun staring down at him with his thick brows furrowed.
 
"Yah, Bwoyah??" He exclaimed.
 
"I just woke you up hyung, you're day dreaming again." Jonghyun said. "Awake now, hyung?" He added while smiling sarcastically down at the older boy who has been staring at his dream girl again.
 
"Aish." Onew grumbled caressing his head.
 
"This is what I call the literal dream girl." Jonghyun uttered, Onew looked up at him curiously.
 
"Mwo?" He asked, Jonghyun wrinkled his nose and pointed his forefinger at the one Onew had been staring at, Park Rinrin, who was chatting and laughing with her their other classmates.
 
"Yah, don't point at her." Onew panicked as he took Jonghyuns arms down and made a face.
 
"Ah~ this is so childish." Jonghyun complained scratching the tip of his nose. "Why don't you just talk to her?" He added turning his gaze back to Onew.
 
"I already did." Onew sighed. Jonghyun's eyes winded excitedly and kneeled down at Onew.
 
"You did? So what happened?" He gushed.
 
Onew didn't answer for a moment then sighed wistfully.
 
He remembered the day he attempted to talk to her, but he ended up greeting the ground and tripping again, He didn't have the chance to talk to her 'cause she already left, or he would shutter when he's near him.
 
"Nothing." He announced staring at the air, Jonghyun made a face and smacked Onew’s shoulder.
 
"Ouch, Yah!" Onew snapped. 
 
"What, 'nothing' huh?" Jonghyun shot at him.
 
"Aish~ why are you so affected? It doesn't matter." Onew grumbled. Jonghyun gave up and stood up.
 
~Juliette Oh~ Jonghyun's cellphone suddenly roared from his pocket.
 
"Hyung, just go and talk to her now! I'm going to take this call, Fighting Ondubu!" Jonghyun cheered forming a fist upward gesture while he took his phone from his pocket with his free hand.
 
"Eo?...Wae?!" He yelled on the phone, Onew watched him as he leave him alone on his table, he looked back at Rinrin again and a breath, maybe he could try again today, he thought.
 
He slowly stood up, his chair was making a creaking sound as it moves, he could hear his own heavy breath and footsteps as he was approaching her for the second time.
 
He was now standing behind her and her friends, he took a deep breath and ready to say his first 'hello' to her.
 
"A--"
 
"Okay, go back to your seats, I'm giving a test today." The students chorused a disappointed 'ohh~' as the teacher came in and cut Onew's second attempt to talk to Rinrin, Onew froze, his mouth still hanging open.
 
Rirnin turned behind her and was surprise to see Onew's mouth hanging open. 
 
"Jinki-ssi? Gwenchanayo?" She asked gritting her teeth stopping herself from laughing at him.
 
Onew felt ice wash all over him, when he realized that his mouth was still hanging open.
 
"A-a-a-ee Gwen-gwenchanay-y-yo." He shuttered, and gulped as he turned away from Rinrin to go back to his own seat, but his right foot caught on the wiring on the floor making him fall, yet again.
 
 
----
 
 
"Hyung, what happened?" Jonghyun asked looking at Onew with sympathy, who was resting his head on his arms and sulking on what happened to him this morning.
 
Onew didn't move.
 
"Hyung?" Jonghyun called again, poking his head but he still didn't move.
 
Impatiently, Jonghyun groaned and grabbed Onew's head and forced him to face him, he snorted upon seeing Onew's face that was forcing to keep his eyes shut, his mouth pouting and his nose wrinkled. 
 
Jonghyun let go of Onew's head to laugh, but Onew's head hit the cold hard table making a loud thud and making Jonghyun flinch.
 
Onew felt pain on his forehead and he started to move but his head not leaving the table, he rubbed his throbbing forehead with the back of his palm, and groaned inwardly.
 
"Hyung, why don't you just tell me what happened and stop acting like a guinea pig." Jonghyun complained.
 
"Guinea pig?" Onew suddenly looked up and gushed. Jonghyun flinched.
 
"Aish~ I should have mentioned guinea pig earlier." He rolled his eyes.
 
"What about guinea pig?" Onew asked.
 
"They're big but too small to be big, so they can't move, so they're lazy like what you are now." Jonghyun explained.
 
"But guinea pigs are cute!" He argued.
 
"Fine, fine, fine they're cute, but what happened to you?" Jonghyun said impatiently.
 
Onew frowned again and attempted to rest his head on the table agian but Jonghyun caught it and held it up.
 
"Yah, don't you dare." He threatened. "Now, what happened?" 
 
Onew pouted and sighed.
 
"I was unsuccessful again for the second time, I just can't talk to her." He said.
 
"And why is that?" Jonghyun asked.
 
"I---" He paused and eyed Jonghyun suspiciously, "But don't laugh."
 
"How can I laugh? This is serious." Jonghyun assured.
 
"I--I always trip when I try to approach her and I shutter when I want to say something." He admitted sheepishly. It was silent for a moment until Jonghyun finally cracked up, the exact thing Onew has been waiting to happen.
 
"I knew it, I shouldn't have said it, why to you????" He complained glaring at Jonghyun who was laughing his lungs out.
 
"You are so clumsy." Jonghyun commented in between his laughs. Onew made a face and waited for Jonghyun to finish laughing his lungs out.
 
Jonghyun cleared his throat, and looked up at Onew with his still amused expression.
 
"Mianhe hyung, I can't help it, it's really funny."
 
"No it's not." Onew grumbled.
 
"Okay, it's not, but don't you think you have a problem? Maybe you need a doctor." Jonghyun suggested.
 
"Doctor? What do you think of me? Retarded?" Onew grimaced.
 
"Not exactly, but maybe it could help."
 
"You think I'm retarded." 
 
"No, not exactly."
 
"You think I'm retarded."
 
"Okay, fine I think you have a problem but I didn't say you're retarded, maybe you just need a help, maybe you have a trauma from the past, have you ever been rejected?" Jonghyun explained and asked.
 
Onew thought for a moment.
 
"No, I've never confessed to anyone before." He admitted. Jonghyun puffed his cheeks forcing himself not to crack up again. He cleared his throat.
 
"Yah, Kim Jonghyun you think this is funny?" Onew shot.
 
"Ani, hyung, just unusual." He said smiling at Onew. "Okay, but I really think you need to visit a doctor or a professional...or a fortune teller." Jonghyun chuckled. Onew glared at him.
 
"Anyways you're gonna have to help yourself, I gotta go now, I have soooooo many things to do." Jonghyun took his bag beside him and left Onew alone in the cafeteria.
 
Onew sighed as he watched Jonghyuns back until it disappeared into the crowd.
 
'Stupid dinosaur, he thinks he's better just because he already has a girlfriend, you'll see Dino, I will win Rinrin's heart I will show you..........but, how'
 
Onew smacked his head and groaned, he just can't afford to lose this time, he has to win Rinrin's heart to prove Jonghyun that he doesn't need professional help.
 
 
~~~
 
 
“Sonseangnim, Is there something wrong with me?" Onew asked the psychiatrist.
 
He shook his head, and made a clucking sound with his tongue.
 
"Jinki-ssi, are you like this to all girls?" He asked, looking intently at Onew.
 
"I don't really talk to girls." He admitted, shaking his head.
 
"You don't have female cousins your age?" 
 
"I do have, but they live in the province so we don't really have the chance to meet." He explained, the doctor shook his head.
 
"Sonseangnim, is there a problem?" Onew asked again, worried.
 
"Actually Jinki-ssi, you don't need me at all, maybe you're just too in love with this girl and your afraid to get rejected." The doctor explained smiling kindly at Onew.
 
He blushed.
 
"But, does tripping and shuttering count as a fear of getting rejected?" He asked, the doctor chuckled.
 
"Maybe it's just an automatic defense mechanism, why don't you try again, ask her, talk to her." The doctor suggested, Onew nodded.
 
 
~~~
 
 
The doctor didn't help at all, he just asked him to try again, but how can he do it when he's too scared to trip and shutter again.
 
"Aish, why did I visit the doctor anyway?" He grumbled, kicking a soda can on his way home.
 
"Ah chicha, leave me alone!" Onew stopped after hearing a female's voice, he panicked and tried to find where the voice was coming from, until he passed by a dark alley and found a dog snarling at a girl who was crouching above a big trashcan while pleading for the dog to leave her alone.
 
Onew whistled to call the dog, and it immediately turned to his way and ran towards him, it wasn't actually a big scary dog, in fact it was small, cute and cuddly, just a little aggressive, the dog barked at Onew, but he glared at it, they stared at each other then dog finally left.
 
"Will he come back?" The girl asked in a cracking voice in the darkness.
 
"If I call him again." Onew said. The girl sighed and finally went down from the trashcan, she patted her skirt and went to Onew.
 
"Thanks." She smiled at him, only then Onew realized that the girl was familiar, her smile and the curly black hair.
 
"Jinki-ssi!" Rinrin gushed. "I didn't know it was you, gomawoyo!" she added, Onew froze from where he was standing.
 
"Jinki-ssi? Gwenchanayo?" Rinrin asked when Onew didn't answer.
 
"A-a-a-ee gwenchana-y-yo." He replied, Rinrin giggled.
 
"Jinki-ssi, why are you shuttering?" Rinrin asked, in between her giggles, Onew smiled hesitantly.
 
"A-annyeongha-haseyo." He said, he finally said it, his first hello to her. Rinrin was surprise but she giggled.
 
"Annyeonghaseyo." she gushed bowing slightly, and smiled at Onew. "Ah, Jinki-ssi, since you helped me tonight, do you want to have dinner with me? I'm so hungry, don't worry my treat." She invited. "Please, I just don't want to eat dinner alone." She pleaded.
 
Onew felt like exploding, he nodded. Rinrin jumped and grabbed Onew's arm and pulled him to the nearest store where they were standing.
 
Onew was flabbergasted and didn't know how to react, maybe he was just dreaming, is this really Rinrin pulling his arms and just invited him to dinner?
 
They came in the store and started to choose their dinner, she went to where the bento's was located still pulling the surprised Onew behind her.
 
"Jinki-ssi, chose anything you want, it’s a thanks offering, go on." Onew nodded faintly and glance at the bentos and back to Rinrin's face.
 
"Are you really Rinrin?" He asked absently mindedly.
 
"No." She answered immediately, Onew's eyes winded, making Rinrin laugh.
 
"Of course I'm me, am I too pretty tonight that you didn't recognized me?" She jested and giggled. "Go on choose, anything you like." Onew sighed and started to choose on the displayed bento, then he picked the one that he is most likely to pick.
 
"Chicken fillet?" Rinrin wondered.
 
"N-ne." He said, she smiled again.
 
"Okay, I'll get chicken fillet too." She said and picked the same one Onew picked. 
 
Rinrin paid for the bentos at the counter while Onew waited outside the store, and tried to dial Jonghyun's cell phone but his hands were shaking like crazy and Jonghyun's cell phone was busy. 
 
"Why are you busy??" He yelled on his phone.
 
"Jinki-ssi, why are you yelling at the phone?" Rinrin came with the plastic bag on her hands. "Is there a problem?" She asked, looking at Onew's cell phone.
 
"Nothing, i-i-t's not w-working." He shuttered again. Rinrin glared at his phone and leaned closer.
 
"Yah! work!" She yelled on the cell phone and giggled. Onew blushed.
 
"He will work now." Rinrin said. Onew checked on his phone that was really working and looked up at Rinrin who was staring at his face.
 
"H-he, I-it worked." He sighed, forcing a smile.
 
"Why do you keep on shuttering Jinki-ssi? Are you cold? Maybe we should look for a warm place to eat this dinner, kaja!" Rinrin again took Onew's arm and pulled him behind her.
 
They stayed at the small diner near the store where they bought the bentos, and started to eat their dinner.
 
"Is it really fine to eat an outside food here?" Onew asked worried.
 
"Of course, we own this place." Rinrin said.
 
"Jeongmalyo? So are your parents here?" Onew asked, and he noticed he wasn't shuttering now, maybe it really was cold outside.
 
"Aniyo, Oppa stays here more often, he makes the food, do you want to try our munchkins? But you're gonna have to pay." She said, smiling at him while she stretched her palm out.
 
Onew nodded and rummaged in his pocket, but Rinrin chuckled and pulled her hand.
 
"I'm just kidding, don't worry you can try the munchkins, for free, everything is free for you today because you helped me." She gave him a sweet smile, making Onew blush for the second time.
 
Rinrin took the munchkins from the kitchen and handed a box full of round chocolate munchkins coated in white sweet powder with a pink marshmallow on top to Onew.
 
"G-gomawoyo." He uttered after receiving the box and took one and stuffed it inside his mouth.
 
"How is t?" Rinrin asked, Onew smiled widely, and nodded. Rinrin giggled.
 
"Jinki-ssi, how old are you?" She asked, Onew swallowed the munchkin and answered.
 
"23." He said and stuffed another one inside his mouth.
 
"Jeongmalyo? Uh, so should I call you oppa?" Onew choked, and swallowed the whole munchkin without chewing, He held his neck and coughed.
 
"Oppa, gwenchanayo?" Rinrin asked and patted Onew's back making Onew flinch, he kept on coughing.
 
"I swallowed the munchkin." He said in a weird voice. Rinrin laughed.
 
"Oppa, your voice sounds so wierd." She commented, making Onew smile, Oppa, she called him OPPA.
 
"Rinrin-ah, I'm closing now, tell you friend to go home." Rinrin's older brother called.
 
"Ne Oppa." She yelled back.
 
"Oppa, you should go home now, it's also getting late, I'll see you tomorrow." Rinrin said and left Onew on the table and ran to the kitchen.
 
Onew went out of the diner glancing behind him incase Rinrin was going to come out from the kitchen but she didn't, He was disappointed but he was still happy, he was able to talk to Rinrin, eat dinner with her, and she even called him oppa, he felt like flying, and it’s all because of a dog.
 
"Dog-ssi, Kamsahamnida." He clasped his hands together and looked up, but before he could release his own hand he tripped on small rock on the way and fell on his knees, at least he didn't trip in front of Rinrin.
 
That night Onew stayed awake until the sun came up.
 
 
~~
 
 
"Hyung." Jonghyun came up behind Onew who was drifting to sleep while waiting for Rinrin to arrive. Onew flinched and looked at Jonghyun sleepily.
 
"Why do you look so not fine to me? Didn't you sleep?" Jonghyun asked.
 
"I wasn't able to." Onew replied.
 
"Oh~ Thinking of dream girl again, Aigoo." Jonghyun cooed. Onew glared up at him.
 
"Oppa." Rinrin popped in front of the two boys, while she held her hands behind her and smiled at them both.
 
"Oppa?" Jonghyun repeated and turned to the now blushing Onew curiously.
 
"Annyeonghaseyo." She bowed slightly. "Aren't you Oppa's friend? Annyeonghaseyo, Rinrin ieyo." She greeted Jonghyun, he smiled and bowed in return.
 
"New friend, ah~ I have to go outside I'm gonna call someone." Jonghyun excused and elbowed Onew then he finally left.
 
"Oppa, how was your sleep?" Rinrin asked.
 
"I-it was fine, I slept well." Onew replied.
 
"Then why do you have dark circled around your eyes?" She asked pointing at his eyes.
 
"Ah, maybe it's because of the lights." He lied. Rinrin hummed nodding her head and leaned closer at Onew.
 
"Oppa, I saw something last night." She started.
 
"Huh?" Onew wondered.
 
"I saw you tripped again last night." She chuckled. "But don't worry I won't tell anyone." She added and then went to her friends.
 
'She saw it?' Onew shouted inside his mind and face palmed.
 
 
~~~
 
 
"Uhm, why didn't you tell me, 'Oppa'." Jonghyun teased, mimicking Rinrin's small voice but it was a failure.
 
"Aish, I knew this would happen." Onew complained.
 
"You don't want to be teased? Hehe, Hyung, you're growing up!" Jonghyun gushed, and let out a low laugh.
 
"Exactly like this." Onew sighed sipping on his coke.
 
"Why don't you ask her to be her date for Christmas Eve? It's two weeks away, you have to hurry! Next week will be our Christmas vacation, you may not see her anymore!"
 
"I know, where to find her." Onew grumbled.
 
"Aigoo, Hyung are you a stalker or something? You already know where she lives!" Jonghyun exclaimed leaning closer to Onew.
 
"Aniya!" Onew told Jonghyun what happened the night before, about the dog the munchkins and the reason why she started to call him Oppa.
 
"Thanks to the little dog then?" Jonghyun laughed. "Hyung, what if it was the Christmas spirit sending you the greatest gift for Christmas!"
 
"Jeongmal? You think so, was it Santa’s spirit then?" Onew asked excitedly. Jonghyun frowned.
 
"I was referring to the Christmas miracle not Santa clause, Aish~" Jonghyun sighed. "Anyway ask her now or regret later." Jonghyun pushed.
 
"Fine, fine, I will find a way to ask her."
 
 
~~~
 
 
Onew took a deep breath and inserted the small note on the thin hole of Rinrin's locker. He sighed before running behind the lockers and waited for Rinrin to come and get her things inside and see his letter.
 
Rinrin came running to her locker while chatting with her friends, Onew listened intently.
 
"Wah, Rinrin-ssi, that's a date invitation on Christmas Eve! How sweet!" One girl gushed.
 
"Rinrin-ssi, why not accept it and see who he is!" Another one suggested, Onew nodded.
 
"His name is unknown how lame, secret admirers are not so popular at this generation." One commented, Onew frowned.
 
"Why don't you just see who he is?" Onew nodded again.
 
"But I'm already planning to ask someone else." Rinrin finally said, Onew felt ice wash all over his being.
 
'She already has someone she likes?' Onew thought, he didn't have the nerve to listen further to the conversation as he realized that Rinrin only sees him as a friend and not to someone to be dated. He left and went to his classroom to duck his head on his desk and sulk again like he did when he fails to approach her, but now it was a total obvious failure, she likes someone else, Someone maybe better than he does.
 
He came inside the classroom and ignored Jonghyun who was calling him and went to his desk to duck is head and sulk.
 
"Oppa." Rinrin, exclaimed as soon as she came in the classroom and went t Onew.
 
"Oppa, can I ask you something?" Rinrin happily approached him.
 
"No, Leave me alone." Onew said, making Rinrin pause and looked down.
 
"Oh, Okay, Mianheyo." She sighed and went back to her friends.
 
Jonghyun came over him and smacked the back of his head, but he didn't mind the pain on his head but all he felt now was the pain in his heart.
 
"Yah, why did you do that?" Jonghyun snapped. Onew didn't move but he whispered just enough for Jonghyun who was beside him to hear.
 
"She likes someone else." He announced. Jonghyun gasped, and patted Onew's back lightly.
 
"I can't say it's alright, right? but maybe it wasn't really for you." Jonghyun said wistfully sympathizing to his weeping heartbroken friend.
 
 
~~~
 
 
Onew didn't go with Jonghyun after classes and went to his locker to retrieve his things, but he was surprised when he saw a small pink paper fell on the floor from his locker, he looked around him and picked up the letter.
 
Onew read: 
 
Annyeong! I won't tell my name, but you can just call me Tofu, Are you free on Christmas Eve? Cause I am, can we go together? Meet me at Namsan tower at 8 O'clock pm, I will wait for you ^____^
 
 
He was surprised to read an invitation letter on Christmas Eve, and he planned to ignore it but he decided to just go, maybe this could help him forget Rinrin.
 
 
~~~
 
 
The night everyone has been waiting for has finally came, the night of the Christmas Eve, however Onew wasn't really excited about meeting this girl or even the Christmas eve all in all, but still he dressed up and bought flowers for Tofu, as she wants’ to be called.
 
Onew wore his maroon sweater and red and white scarf and wore the red bonnet Jonghyun gave him as gift for Christmas, and wore a green with white gray and red stripe gloves.
 
He sighed as he examined himself in the mirror, he should have worn this at his first date with Rinrin, but he can’t he was wearing it for someone else, for a stranger named Tofu to be exact.
 
Onew left the house forcefully and took the taxi to go to Namsan Tower.
 
When Onew arrived he suddenly remembered that the girl didn't really write the exact area where she's going to wait for him. 
 
"Aish~" Onew grumbled, smoked coming out from his mouth.
 
He tried to look around, but how would he know if she was the girl? 
 
She would recognize him right? Onew sighed in relief, how would she send me a letter when she doesn’t even know my face, he thought and smacked his head.
 
"O-oppa." A familiar small voice called behind him softly, Onew turned around and saw Rinrin behind him looking down at her shoes.
 
"Rinrin-ah." Onew exclaimed. "W-what are you doing here?" He asked.
 
"Waiting for someone." She said still not looking up at him, her hands on her back.
 
"Oh~, your date." Onew sighed, "Isn't he here yet, why don't you look for him?" Onew asked.
 
"He's already here." Rinrin announced. Onew looked around but no one in particular was looking at her way.
 
"Where?" Onew asked looking down at her.
 
Rinrin looked up at him and pointed her index finger to the tip of his nose.
 
"Here." She said, Onew froze, here? was she...
 
"Tofu?" Onew hesitated. Rinrin nodded.
 
"Wha--"
 
"I was going to ask you personally, but you send me away, do you remember? you told me to leave alone so I did, I thought I did something wrong, so I didn't say my name in the letter and Tofu is the first thing that came into my mind when I was thinking of how to introduced myself." She explained, Onew was astound and didn't know what else to say, so he's the one Rinrin has been planning to ask.
 
He did all the drama and crying for nothing!
 
"I thought you were going to ask someone else." Onew said.
 
"Someone else? I can't even think of anyone to ask but you." Rinrin stated, looking up. Onew blushed.
 
"So do you accept my invitation, if not it's fine there are so many Christmas to come I can ask you again if I like." Rinrin shook her shoulders.
 
"Of course I accept." Onew gushed, making Rinrin jump and took his arm again.
 
"Anyway, why did you think I was going to ask someone else?" She asked.
 
Onew thought for a while.
 
"I don't know." He said, Rinrin chuckled.
 
"By the way, Oppa do you remember the dog that you saved me from?" 
 
"Of course." Onew replied, still can't believe what's happening tonight, he was wearing the right clothes for the right person tonight. "Waeyo?" He asked. Rinrin smiled and let go of his arm and brought his fingers to to whistle.
 
After a moment a small familiar dog came running towards them, Rinrin picked him up and showed it to Onew.
 
"I realized he was an orphan, he keeps on wandering around the street so I decided to keep him, we talk about what he did to me last time and he promised not to bully me anymore as long as I keep him, isn't he adorable?" She gushed brushing the fur of the little dog.
 
Onew took it and patted its head.
 
"You talked?" Onew asked surprised. Rinrin nodded smiling at the both of them. Onew chuckled.
 
"What's his name?" Onew asked again.
 
"I don't have one yet." Rinrin pouted. Onew thought for a moment.
 
"Spirit, his name is Spirit." Onew announced, Rinrin's brows furrowed.
 
"Spirit? Waeyo?" Onew smiled at her warmly.
 
"Christmas Spirit, he just brought me the best Christmas gift ever." Onew said, looking at Rinrin's eyes intently making Rinrin blush for the first time.
 
- E N D -
 
 
 
 
Here's the chapter seven!! 
 
Starring Onewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....
 
Up next my Lovely Jonghyun..<3