The Dream Starts

Special to Me: Fickle Visions

One time, in some movie, the main character said that when you feel like you are falling in a dream, you'll immediately wake up. I guess that happened to me.

Usually, I don't remember anything I dream. It was different now, because it felt too realistic. I was surrounded by complete darkness, and I couldn't move any part of my body. I was just floating there, until suddenly something disturbed me, and I plummeted down. I woke up on the floor next to my bed.

~

As I blinked my eyes drowsily, Soomi scrambled out of bed running as fast as she could to the bathroom. I groaned from my upside-down position, pulling myself up.

The clock read 6:40 in bright red lights. It was about time I got up anyway, so I stood and stretched, taking the sleep out of my eyes. Yawning, I made my way over to the kitchen of our house and took out a bowl and cereal from the cupboards.

Little steps came from behind the closed door at the end.

"Sehun," I poked my head in.

He was sitting on his toy chest, playing with a flashlight made of some monster he liked. He looked at me with a blank expression and then continued switching the device on and off.

"Honey, it's time to eat," I took him in my arms and carried him back to the table, where he eyed the cereal warily.

"Hang on, I'll get the cards..." I ran back to his room and took the index cards from his bedside table. Holding up the milk card, I asked, "Does Sehun want a lot or a little?"

Sehun instead shoved the card away, taking a spoon and scooping up the flakes dry and crunching them. He didn't like milk, he liked his cereal dry with a glass of orange juice on the side. This was only a routine so he could feel comfortable.

Soomi emerged from the bathroom, looking completely drained.

"No more babies, ever. I will get my tubes tied or something," She groaned, clutching her stomach.

"Do you want me to make you anything?" I asked worriedly.

"Does it look like I want to barf again?" She narrowed her eyes.

I rolled my eyes at her hormones. She ran a hand through the top of Sehun's head and frowned, "He's getting a haircut today. You're still taking him, right?"

I nodded, "You get to spend the whole day with Daddy! We can go watch that new movie if you're a good boy, ok?"

He wasn't paying too much attention to the conversation. Instead, he finished his bowl and got up to place it on the counter where Soomi followed to wash it off. Both she and I survived mainly on coffee but I urged her to eat more now, since she was pregnant with our second child.

"Do you want me to do anything this morning? You need to eat, and maybe resting is a good idea too."

Normally, she would fight me on this, but she just handed me a list before taking out a green apple from the fridge.

"Go to the grocery store and pick up some food on that list. Then get Sehun's haircut and go to the movies."

I kissed her cheek before pushing her into the bedroom again. After tucking her in I rubbed her stomach as a way of telling my future daughter "goodnight."

Sehun liked to take baths with me.  I didn't mind this, I actually preferred it this way. When he was alone he just sat until the water turned cold. At least this way I could scrub him down.

After drying his hair and brushing his teeth, we got inside the car and sped off. The grocery list was still in my pocket and we walked inside the supermarket. After making sure he was holding onto my shirt, I grabbed a cart and walked through the aisles placing the needed food inside.

An old woman stopped me as I was crossing the vegetables, "Sir, would you like a free fruit smoothie?"

I smiled and thought my son would like it. But when I looked down he was gone. Panicking now, I whipped my head around to see him reach for a stack of cups in the next aisle. I knew what was going to happen within seconds and ran to cover him from the calling stack now hitting my back.

As soon as it was over, I gripped his shoulders and faced him.

"Don't let go of me again, ok?"

The anger he saw must've scared him, because he broke down in wails, tears streaming down his face. I could feel the stares from people nearby and wondered what they thought of me. Did they think I was just some kid who couldn't control his own child?

"Shh baby, Baba's here. Don't let go of me again, ok? You made me really scared."

But it was useless, he kept crying. In defeat I picked him up and placed him in the cart while I started picking up the fallen cups.

"Sir, it's ok, I've got it." The janitor came to shoo me away.

"It's my fault I can-"

"Believe me sir, you've done enough."

The look he gave me was complete disapproval. I felt so embarrassed that I just pushed the cart containing my food and my kid to the check-out line, hoping to get out as soon as possible.

We made it home to put the groceries away before going to the barber. Suho was so sweet that he accepted all of Sehun's quirks as he cut his hair. I was thankful we ran into him first.

"So what do you do for a living? I don't think I've ever asked."

I groaned inwardly. At the moment, Soomi was bringing home the bacon. Whatever she couldn't get was from both of our parents. I didn't even go to college.

"Kind of in-between jobs. There's not much I'm really good at."

"Weren't you a big partier as a student? Minseok tells me you DJ-ed."

I rolled my eyes. I heard once that girls found DJs hot so I became one. And then I got a girl pregnant.

"I don't go to high school parties anymore."

"But have you ever thought of DJ-ing for a club or something? They pay really well. All you need to do is sit back and watch the scene, really," Suho said as he carefully snipped Sehun's bangs.

"I'll think about it," I said lightly.

We said goodbye to Suho and walked down the street to the movie theater, Sehun holding my hand tightly. He was excited for the movie, even though his face didn't show it.

"Um, one adult one kid for the kiddy monster movie," I said, giving the guy a twenty.

"Not necessary, because you're so pretty, the movie's on me."

As I lifted my head to tell this jerk exactly how PRETTY I could be, my jaw dropped.

"Kai...?"

_____________________

sacrificed my sleep for this :(