2. Lie and Live On

Suicidal Me: "Kill Me, Baekhyun"

 

'He's coming. He's coming. He's coming. Oh no.' I flapped my arms in the air and then quickly brushed my hair down to cover my face. There was no way I was going to give in this easily and let him see me. Actually, I was regreting how I spent the day worrying about what he could have possibly done to me when I could have devised a plan to destroy--I mean--avoid him.

 

With my head down, I turned around as indiscreetly as possible and took quick long strides down the hallway. My eyes focused on the speckled tile floor as the image of Byun Baekhyun charging after me urged me onward. 'This is pathetic, Sarang. Are you really going to let him effect you this much?'

 

Yes. He was scary.

 

"Stop." Someone demanded from behind me. That someone was obviously Byun Baekhyun.

 

I paused for a split second, wondering whether I should listen and get this over with or run for my life. Well, I had already stopped, so I decided to turn around as casually as possible.

 

Casually. Casually. I had done nothing wrong. I was not running.

 

I peeked through my jungle of hair to find Baekhyun staring at me just inches from my face. "Sht!" Surprised, I swore to myself.

 

"Sht?" He did not look happy. Of course, even I wouldn't smile and thank someone who just cussed into my face. "Was that directed to me?" Byun Baekhyun asked in a dangerously threatening tone.

 

Taking a step back, I stuck my hand out in front of me and shook them to deny everything. "No, no, of course not. How dare I?" Seriously, I would not have minded getting on all fours and kissing his legs if it would get him to forget about detention and me. Heck, I even thought about lying and saying that Jongin had forced me to write his name. 'Sorry Jongin, but I'm more worried about me more than you right now.'

 

"Yes, and how dare you write me down for detention." With an unpleasant grin on his face which I still found attractive even in a situation like this, he reached over to brush my hair back. "Let me see that ugly face of yours." Okay, he was still attractive.

 

Immediately, I pulled back. "W-Wait, I just had double eyelid surgery!" That was a stupid excuse, but I had to say something to keep him from seeing my face. "It's all swollen and cut up. You do not want to see it."

 

He pulled his hand back and made an adorable little 'oh' with his mouth.

 

Well, that was cute.

 

I meant... that was close.

 

Apologize. Mother always said to apologize when I've done something wrong. Yes, laugh at me. I don't care. You have no idea how scared pantsless I am. "Look, Baekhyun, I'm really sorry abou--"

 

"Shut up." Byun Baekhyun cracked his neck, cutting me off in the middle of my very important apology statement. "I'm in a really bad mood, okay? Let's make this quick."

 

Quick? How quick? Make what quick?

 

I saw Byun Baekhyun roll his hand into a fist. "Choose while I'm giving you the chance, okay?"

 

I kept my mouth shut, unsure which choices he would give me. Death or death?

 

"Hurry the fck up and say something."

 

Byun Baekhyun, you think you're all that just because you're scary. You told me to shut up earlier, and now you're cussing at me to say something? "Okay..." Stupid Sarang, and you answer just because he tells you to. What. Are you going to bark if he tells you to as well?

 

The boy nodded in satisfaction, a look of frustration still lingering on his face. "One, you let me beat you until you die. Two, you act the role of my girlfriend for a day."

 

What. Of course I would choose two. I didn't want to die. "T-Two..."

 

"Your grade, class number, student number and name." He ordered. Obviously, he was asking so he could come find me later.

 

"Grade 2, class 5, student number 21, Kim Taeyeon."

 

I did it.

 

I lied to the monster Byun Baekhyun.

 


 

Jumping into the air, I landed loudly next to a boy sleeping on a mini sand pile behind the outdoor gym bushes. "So this is where you are when you're skipping class," I growled in disgust. "Doesn't it get itchy here?" The question was directed at Kim Jongin, my close friend and childhood playmate, who sat up at my surprise visit.

 

"Oh god. I thought you were Coach Park." Kim Jongin sighed, placing his hand lightly on his neck, obviously startled and out of breath.

 

I laughed at his behavior while holding back the urge to take my camera phone out to capture a momento of this preciously proud moment. Honestly, it was near impossible to shake this boy. I was quite impressed with my achievement. The only other time I have seen such a panicked expression on his face was when his mother got into a car accident and when I, the class idiot, got a higher exam score than him last year.

 

He swore under his breath, believing that would help himself calm down. "What are you doing here? This is a secret place only I know about," he commented, making an arrogant emphasis on 'I' while popping his chest out.

 

"I don't know, Mr. Secretive," I disguised an incoming laugh with a cough, "I was thinking about what to do about the Baekhyun monster when I heard a snore and a couple of whimpers from behind the bush. I got curious what kind creature was resting here and found you." I poked his chest teasingly.

 

"Him again," he chuckled, just the way I found attractive. Flicking a tiny pebble at my head, he attempted to hit me. "Did he kill you yet?"

 

I dragged my feet through the sand at him, trying to get some dust in his face. "Jerk, do I look killed?"

 

"No ma'am..." Brushing the flying sand away, he coughed. "What's what the huge sunglasses?" Finally noticing the pair of sunglasses on my face, he wrinkled his nose in distaste.

 

"It's a long story. Wanna hear?"

 

"If it's a long story that involves Baekhyun, then no."

 

I raised an eyebrow in his direction and wet my lips once before asking him something I've been wanting to ask for a while now. "You're going to save me of anything happens, right?" My throat dried up soon after the question rolled off my tongue, and I my lips once again. What was I feeling nervous about?

 

He didn't answer and just gave me a stupid look. The sound of proper students not skipping physical education and playing soccer distracted him for a moment. I could tell by the way his eyes rolled up when one of the teams started cheering.

 

I kicked the sand with my foot once more.

 

"I'll think about it," He mumbled, snapping his attention back to me and getting up to avoid my sand attack.

 

Think about it? 'Go, Sarang! Quick attack!'

 

I jumped and tackled his long legs. "Think about it? Is that what you just said?" Truthfully, I was a little disappointed. When we were little, Jongin would always say cheesy lines about how he would protect me like a man should while I told him it was impossible because he was only six and shorter than me, but I wasn't going to let it get to me. He had been like this for a while now, but I still had my way of getting Jongin to listen. He was ticklish. Especially around his stomach.

 

"St... Sto... Sar.... you... I... op..." Unable to form coherent words, Jongin flailed around like a fish... with arms, and I was enjoying this. Shoving my hands up his shirt, I started wiggling my fingers until the boy was squeezing out the laughter he was holding back.

 

"Are you still thinking about it?" I teased, seeing the tears forming at the crease of his eyes. This was my payback for his late ambiguous reply.

 

The tan boy grabbed my wrists and pryed them off him. "Byun... Byun Baekh...hyun is here..." Panting, he pointed behind me with a shake of his head and his nose.

 

Cautiously, I turned around to spot a very disturbed looking Byun Baekhyun watching the two of us lying on the sand pile--our hands in Jongin's shirt.