9. Hospital Visits

Suicidal Me: "Kill Me, Baekhyun"

 

For the past five days, Baekhyun visited me more than Chanyeol and Jongin combined. 'Those two jerks. Are they really my friend? At least Jongin came by twice... Chanyeol hasn't visited yet. Did he not care about me?'

 

"What are you thinking about?" Baekhyun interrupted my thoughts, sitting in the chair next to my hospital bed and peeling a ripe red apple with a knife.

 

Today as well, he was making himself useful by taking care of me. Why was he being so nice?

 

"Nothing important..."

 

A strange silence hung in the air with the only sound coming from the apple gushing its juice all over Baekhyun's hand as he violently carved its skin off with a sharp knife.

 

For some reason, everything Baekhyun did looked... so scary.

 

Why was he here anyways?

 

"Can I ask you something?" I decided to ask him what was up.

 

Baekhyun stopped carving and looked up at me. "What. You wanna fight?"

 

Huh? I pulled my blanket up to my nose. "N-No..." Then, I thought for a moment. "Are you here... to fight me?"

 

He gave me a weird look before returning his attention to the apple which was dying in his grasp. "Is that your question?" It was obvious this was his first time cutting fruits, so why?

 

"Actually, I wanted to ask why you're being so... weird."

 

"What's so weird about cutting an apple?" Finally done with murdering the poor apple, he put down the knife and neatly organized the dead chunks of fruits on a clean plate.

 

"No, no, it's weird because you're the one cutting it for me." I explained, carefully watching him wipe his hands.

 

Heat rushed up Baekhyun's ears as they turned slightly pink. "W-Who said I was cutting this for you?"

 

Surprised at his sudden change in voice, I couldn't help but let out a small chuckle. "Okay, I won't eat any of the apple." Leaning deeper into the white pillow, I hid a smug look behind the blanket.

 

"No... you..." Baekhyun seemed hesitant. "You have to eat... it... and get b-better."

 

Okay, this was definitely weird.

 

Unable to hold back my curiousity anymore, I sat up suddenly. I had actually gotten a lot better so it didn't really hurt much. "What are you up to, seriously? I thought you wanted to--"

 

"The doctor said you needed rest. Stop stressing over unimportant things and rest." Gently, Baekhyun pushed me back down onto my back... I repeat, gently.

 

"Unimportant?" I frowned. "Be honest with me..."

 

Baekhyun pulled back away from me to refuse my words. "N-No..."

 

Just as I was about to get back up and interrogate him further, a knock at the entrance of my hospital room caught my attention.

 

"Am I interrupting something?" The tall visitor peeked into the room and cocked his head.

 

Yes, but it was okay because it was Chanyeol.

 

"What are you doing here?" My words came out cold and distant.

 

Chanyeol caught onto the reason why I was upset and smiled, revealing a large white plastic bag from behind him. "I brought steamed buns?" The tone in his voice was begging for my forgiveness.

 

Without a word, I reached over for the bag in his hand when Baekhyun suddenly intercepted and took my steamed buns instead. Then, he put it on the counter and silently shoved a crumpling apple piece in my hand.

 

My steamed buns...

 

Chanyeol pouted curiously at Baekhyun's behavior and took a seat at the foot of the bed.

 

"Eat it." He commanded without acknowledging Chanyeol's presence.

 

Scared, I did as told. 'Why am I such a wuss...?' I cried internally for my steamed buns.

 

Chanyeol puffed out his cheek at the lack of welcome and started massaging my foot that was the closest to him with the blanket still covering it. After noting what the tall one was doing, Baekhyun picked up the knife against and brutally started carving into a kiwi.

 

"Sorry I didn't visit earlier, and sorry about this whole incident." His head was down, staring at the blanket lump (where my foot was) in his hand.

 

Although I was upset that he didn't visit, Chanyeol had nothing to do with me getting hurt. Besides, I was thankful he protected me from Baekhyun even though he had no duty to do so. "I forgive you." Swallowing my apple, I answered dully and kicked up my foot in his grip, aiming at his face. "Ow..." That still hurt.

 

Chanyeol laughed and shook his head, and Baekhyun stuck a kiwi piece in my mouth.

 

"Ugh!" I spat it back out. "It's still hairy. Did you peel it right?" Grimacing at the boy next to me, I froze when I saw that he was glaring at me.

 

What. What did I do?

 

Letting go of my foot, Chanyeol reached into his pocket and pulled out a vibrating phone. "Oh, I should go. My girlfriend's waiting for me outside."

 

"Oh." I blinked a couple of times in his direction. "Is she the same girl that I know?"

 

"Nope, a new one." Blasting a bright smile at me in satisfaction of his new girlfriend, Chanyeol got up and pat down his clothes. "I'll visit again." He walked over to pat me on my head before waving at Baekhyun as well.

 

After Chanyeol's footsteps faded down the hallway, I tossed the chunk of kiwi at Baekhyun. "You can stop cutting fruits, you know."

 

For a moment, Baekhyun's gaze lingered over my expressions as if observing me for something. Then he opened his mouth. "Do you want the steamed buns now?"

 

I nodded weakly.

 

"They're hot." He warned me as he pulled out a white box from the bag and opened it, exposing the steamy buns to the cold hospital air. One bun was handed to me with three layers of wax paper covering it. 

 

I took it and carefully split it open to release a round of steam from it. "Thanks..."

 

Baekhyun was staring at me again, and I could tell without even looking at him.

 

"By the way," Looking away, he put away the rest of the buns, "I may not be visiting tomorrow."

 


 

It's been a while! I've been a bit absorbed in my new fiction The Girl who Kidnaps Idols.

I wrote a really long chapter and decided to split it into the two parts. I post the next chapter in a couple of days :]