5. Panic

Suicidal Me: "Kill Me, Baekhyun"

 

With a large sunglasses perched on my nose, I snuck into my class where Jongin was waiting for me with a strange look directed at me. "What's... going on?" He questioned, probably referring to my text message that urged him to come to school early today.

 

I wrung my jacket around me tightly, taking a seat next to him with my arms crossed. Other than us, only two early birds of the class occupied the near empty room, Class had not started yet, and already, blood was rushing out my face from nervousness. "You have to hide me." I explained everything that happened yesterday, including my sudden outburst at Byun Baekhyun.

 

A bewildered scoff, and then Jongin groaned and rubbed his neck in frustration.

 

"You said you would help me," I whined, grabbing onto his shirt sleeve and hanging from it.

 

After a moment of thinking, Kim Jongin clapped his hand in revelation and patted my head. "Okay, okay, I got this."

 

"Really?"

 

Jongin nodded and got up. "I'll be back. Be alive until I come back, okay?"

 

Surprised, I got up after him, "What? Where are you going?" but Jongin was already gone and out the school building. The two other students who just happened to witness our mini drama frowned in my direction. I gave an awkward greeting and took a seat back down, burying my head into my arms.

 


 

Okay, I had no friends other than Jongin. I was not afraid to admit that, but even with my only buddy gone, I had no time to be bored.

 

"Did you hear? I heard Bae--"

 

I turned in the direction of the speaker.

 

"--min choked on yesterday lunch, so he couldn't come to school."

 

Rolling my head back up at the ceiling, I sighed in relief. All day long, anything that sounded like "Byun Baekhyun" or just "Baekhyun" kept me on the edge.

 

"Hey, right now in the hallway, Bae--"

 

Baekhyun? I swung my head back down and stared at the boy shouting at his friends.

 

"--sketball coach Young got caught smoking."

 

Oh, basketball.

 

"Baek--"

 

What? Panicking, I leaned over my desk, startling the talking girl.

 

"--on today... What?" The girl asked, feeling slightly creeped out. "I was just saying the lunch has bacon today."

 

I replied with an apologetic laugh and sat back down, playing with the sleeves of my jacket. This was killing me just like the day when I wrote Byun Baekhyun's name on the detention list. 'Maybe I should drop out... or transfer.' The clock kindly pointed out for me that I still had four hours until dismissal.

 

"Are you feeling alright, Sarang? You're sweating a lot." The homeroom teacher asked me with a mix of suspicion and worry.

 

Suddenly, I got an idea. Wrinkling my forehead, I faked a pained groan. "No... I don't feel so good." I had no idea when Jongin would be coming back with his great 'solution' of his, so I decided to save myself.

 

Still hesitant, the teacher gave me a pass to head to the nurse's office.

 

On my way to the clinic and I thought outloud to myself, a habit I had when I was alone. "If you think about it... Byun Baekhyun thinks you're Kim Taeyeon, and that you're in grade two." Nodding to myself proudly, I complimented my own lying ability. I was actually in first grade, not second. "He's probably searching all the second grade classes for Kim Taeyeon."

 

Holding back the laughter threatening to explode at the thought of that Byun Baekhyun furiously looking in the wrong classrooms for the wrong person, I slapped my thighs. It was just too hilarious. He was probably sweating from the heat of his anger and his hard work without realizing how false and useless his knowledge of me was.

 

The nurse's office was just around the corner. Once inside, I could just fake sick and stay inside for the rest of the school day. "Sorry Jongin, but I guess I didn't need your he--"

 

"Not Kim Taeyeon... huh?" Byun Baekhyun stood at the blind spot of the corner, glaring in my direction. "Not in second grade?"

 

I froze. He really was sweating and red with rage, but it wasn't as hiliarious as I thought it would be seeing him in the flesh. I finally understood what all those movies and novels meant by being too terrified to even scream or breath.

 

Even when Byun Baekhyun grabbed my shoulder violently, I couldn't blink. No, I didn't even know I was not blinking.

 

"You embarassed me, Byun Baekhyun, in front of Sohee, and you lied to me." He gritted his teeth. A wet strand of hair dangled in front of his flushed face. Sighing, he sharply cracked his neck--his obviously infuriated gaze never leaving my face.

 

I opened my mouth to say something, but could not find any word to excuse myself out of this situation.

 

Byun Baekhyun pushed me into the wall with his hands still tightly gripping my shoulder. It hurt, but I had lost my privilege to complain. His other hand rolled into a hard fish and pulled back behind his head at an angle, ready to hit me at his mercy.

 

Even with his fist aimed at my direction and his other hands crushing my shoulder, I couldn't do anything.

 

Then, Byun Baekhyun threw his punch at my face.

 


 

._. Hm...

 R.I.P. Sarang.