6. Savior

Suicidal Me: "Kill Me, Baekhyun"

 

 

With my eyes closed, I waited for the impact, but nothing came.

 

When I opened my eyes, the sight of Byun Baekhyun biting the bottom of his lips in frustration at a taller boy who was holding onto Byun Baekhyun's elbow so he could not punch me. 

 

"Park Chanyeol?" What a surprise. I thought Jongin would come and save me, but instead, it was Chanyeol--an oppa who used to play with me. I had not seen him since he moved to Canada three years ago. "When did you come back?" Feeing completely at ease with the appearance of a tall dependable friend, I accidentally shouted into Byun Baekhyun's face.

 

Byun Baekhyun glared at me and then backed away from me. "You guys know each other?" Releasing me from his hold, Byun Baekhyun questioned Chanyeol.

 

"You know Chanyeol?" I was surprised that these two knew each other.

 

Byun Baekhyun was feared as one of the most vicious and merciless delinquent, but Chanyeol was respected as a gentle and trustworthy former school monitor. Don't get me wrong, though. Chanyeol was a pretty stubborn guy and could beat down a bull if he felt like it.

 

"Yea," Chanyeol answered in place of Byun Baekhyun. Oh god, it's been so long since I heard his voice. "And Baekhyun, I wouldn't touch Sarang if I were you."

 

My face burned pink and melted at his sudden words. Back when Chanyeol and I were in junior high, I had a long crush on the boy. On the other hand, Chanyeol already had a girlfriend back then. 

 

"Why wouldn't I?" Baekhyun raised an eyebrow in suspicion, wrapping an arm threateningly around my shoulders. "Do you know what this girl has done to me?"

 

 

"Of course I don't, and I don't care." Smacking the other boy's arms off of me, Chanyeol pulled me behind him like he always used to when we were kids.

 

Obviously irritated, Byun Baekhyun glared at me but did not make a move even as the bell that signalled the end of class rang.

 

"Oh, it's the bell. Lunch time, right?" Cheerfully, Chanyeol acted as if Byun Baekhyun was not even there and lead me towards the cafeteria. "I was getting hungry. Let's go."

 

I was planning on going to the nurse's office... but I had some catching up to do with Chanyeol.

 

--

 

Jongin joined Chanyeol and me at the lunch table. "What are you still doing here?" He was directing his question at Chanyeol.

 

"You were the one who invited me, Jongin." Chanyeol laughed, wiggling his eyebrows as if hinting something.

 

I stared at Jongin who looked strangely flustered. "You were the one who called him here?" Then, I stopped to think for a moment and turned to Chanyeol. "Wait, you told Jongin that you were here, but didn't tell me?"

 

It looked like Chanyeol was going to say something when suddenly Byun Baekhyun, slamming his lunch tray on the table, squeezed in between Chanyeol and me. Jongin stucked a roll into his mouth and slowly chewed it while keeping on eye on all three of us.

 

It was apparent that the whole lunch room was focused on our table. It was already the school gossip that Byun Baekhyun had targeted me as his next punching bag yet here he was, trying to sit beside me during lunch.

 

After giving me a curious look, Baekhyun quietly started nibbling away his lunch. "When are you going home, Chanyeol?" He asked the taller boy.

 

"Why? So you can beat Sarang up?"

 

I almost choked at the thought. Please do not leave, Chanyeol. "Why don't you just transfer here?" I offered which earned a pinch on my thigh from Baekhyun. "Ouch! Baekhyun, pinched me, Chanyeol." Shrieking loudly, I told on him.

 

Chanyeol glared at the boy in between us, and Baekhyun gave a groan as Chanyeol pinched him in the exact same way. "Ow..."

 

Revenge was sweet.

 

--

 

School was almost over, and Byun Baekhyun had been persistent to the point it was more annoying than scary now. However, I was probably not scared because I had Chanyeol by my side.

 

Stretching away all my worry with a groan, I quickly exited the school building. Cautiously, I scanned the area to see if Byun Baekhyun was anywhere nearby. Nope.

 

My bodyguard Chanyeol had disappeared earlier after some unknown argument with Jongin, so I had to be more careful. Well, it wouldn't matter anyways because I had managed to get out of class earlier than the others with the excuse of being the class monitor, so there weren't anybody out of school yet.

 

Hurriedly, I dashed across the school field and out the gates.

 

Safe!

 

"Are you Sarang?" A male student I had never met before greeted me just around the corner. Behind him were two other students.

 

Unsure whether to answer 'yes' or 'no,' I just stood silently.

 

The short stout one behind the first nodded to himself. "She looks like her to me. You're the one who Baekhyun has targeted, right?"

 

The first male student grabbed my shoulder and squeezed it tightly. "Let's get this over with."

 

"What?" I pulled away from the boys. "Did Baekhyun hire you guys or something to beat me up?"

 

Two of the three strange boys snickered quietly. "No, but we're in a mood. We thought you would be a nice stress ball. Plus, Baekhyun doesn't like you, so it'll make us look better in front of him." With that, they grabbed my wrist and started pulling me behind a conveninent store.

 

I was unable to shout for help due to one of the boys wrapping his sticky and dirty hand around my mouth.

 


 

Despite his math teacher's pleas, Baekhyun ran out the school building as soon as one of his classmates reported to him about Sarang's early departure.

 

Damn. It was the perfect chance too since Chanyeol was gone. He just had to find her.

 

There was the sound of a muffled scream from the alley way between the school and the convenient store. He approached the cramped space and spotted three boys and a girl. One of the boys had the girl by her hair and the others were blowing at their fists.

 

Upon closer inspection, he realized the girl was Sarang.

 

"She has enemies other than me?" He shook his head with a hint of pity without realizing it was his own fault.

 

Coldly, he turned his back on the four. He wasn't the type to get involved in other people's business.

 

Since he had gotten out of school early, Byun Baekhyun decided to get something to eat on the way home. He heavily kicked a crushed can on the street. Honestly, he didn't really hate Sarang.

 

Yes, she put him in detention, but that helped him do his homework for the first time in months. Yes, she made him look like a fool in front of his friends, but after a moment of thought, he agreed that he had been a bit harsh on her.

 

Those three boys looked like they were from another school, judging from the fact they had some private school uniform on.

 

Byun Baekhyun stopped in his tracks and turned back to the school with a worried expression before running back towards the convenient store where Sarang was.

 

Even though, he wasn't the type to get involved in other people's business...