4. Danger Seeking Mode

Suicidal Me: "Kill Me, Baekhyun"

 

Right now, we were at Baekhyun's house. This Sohee girl he was trying to get rid of wanted to test how girlfriend worthy I was and how well I knew 'her man,' so we decided to talk at Baekhyun's house.

 

"Get Sohee a glass of water." Byun Baekhyun called for me from the living room. It wasn't even a question. It was a demand.

 

You would think Baekhyun would take good care of me, his girlfriend, but no. He was the same old Byun Baekhyun. Actually, I wanted to double check with him whether I signed up to his temporary girlfriend or slave.

 

So here I was inside Byun Baekhyun's kitchen which he claimed I've been to several times as his girlfriend, and now, he wanted me to serve our guests with fruits... and oh, bring Sohee a cup of water.

 

Without answering back to my 'boyfriend,' I raised an apple up to my eyes and studied it, unsure where to start digging my knife into it. My other hand held the knife, dangerously close to cutting my own fingers. I placed the sharp blade against the skin of the red fruit, close to its tip. Moving the knife downwards, I clumsily started slicing away the skin from top to bottom instead of around in circles.

 

A gentle chuckle rung from entrance of the kitchen. "Is this your first time serving fruits?" Do Kyungsoo walked up behind me and cocked his head, examining the chunk of apple I had attempted to peel. "Uh..." He seemed to be at a loss for word. "Need... help?"

 

Putting the knife and scarred apple on the plate, I scooted back from it. "Yes please." There was no point in ruining good fruits.

 

With a silly grin on his face, Kyungsoo approached the kitchen counter and skillfully handled the apples and arranged them neatly on a clean plate. I watched as he picked one of the pieces up and raised one to his mouth before pausing and offering it to me instead. It was amazing how neatly Kyungsoo peeled and cut the fruits. I would have applauded if it wasn't for the pair of hands that grabbed my waist from behind.

 

"I told you to cut the fruits. Why are you slaving my friend around?" Surprised, I let out a tiny yelp as I found out the owner of the hands to be Byun Baekhyun.

 

"B-Baekhyun...?" That was really unexpected of Byun Baekhyun even if we were pretending to be dating. To be honest, I was more embarrassed than bewildered.

 

On the other hand, Kyungsoo seemed more bewildered than embarrassed. Pulling back his hand that held the apple slice out to me, he looked past me at Baekhyun and raised an eyebrow. I turned back and caught a glimpse of Baekhyun giving his friend a threatening glower. Wait, who was he to glare at Kyungsoo? All Kyungsoo did was help me out while he was ordering me around like his personal house maid.

 

I forced Baekhyun's hands off me.

 

"She's my repellant." Baekhyun mumbled under his breath, pulling back away from me.

 

I rubbed my arms, feeling shivers run up under my skin.

 

He glanced at Kyungsoo once more before signaling him to return to the living room.

 

Kyungsoo and I exchanged a confused look before he followed Baekhyun's demand and left the kitchen with the fruits and an apologetic smile on his face, his eye wide and his eyebrows sloped outwards. I headed towards the cupboard to get a cup of water for Ahn Sohee while Baekhyun stood leaning against a counter, watching me walk across the kitchen. 'Oh, this is awkward...'

 

As soon as I filled the cup with cold water, Baekhyun let out an "oh" as if he remembered something before changing his order. "She said she didn't want water anymore. Get her some orange juice."

 

I just couldn't understand it. Why was Baekhyun taking so good care of the girl he's trying to get rid of? He never had to prove to her how compatible we were, he never had to invite her to his house, he never had to slave me to feed her needs.

 

'Those two...' For a moment, I had a nasty thought. What if Sohee knew Baekhyun and I were faking our relationship. No, what if Baekhyun told Sohee, and this was all his idea of getting back at me for the detention he had to serve. I had heard pretty nasty rumors about him, but I wasn't sure if he was clever enough to come up with such a trickery.

 

"Here, you can drink this." I placed the glass of water next to Baekhyun who was pulling out some napkins from the pantry. He gave me a strange look, but I ignored it. The orange juice was probably in the refrigerator, so I reached over and opened it. Quickly, my eyes scanned the contents taking up space in the large white cooler. "Baekhyun," I carefully checked the inside of the refrigerator one more time, "there's no orange juice."

 

"Oh then, just get her a glass of water."

 

I rolled my eyes, on the verge of throwing the towel and calling it quits. "You're pretty indecisive."

 

Byun Baekhyun just shrugged, grumbling about how it was Sohee and not him.

 

I grabbed another cup--an ugly brown cup--and poured some tap water into it from the faucet while Baekhyun wasn't looking. Tap water, my petty revenge.

 

Suddenly, Baekhyun grabbed my hand that was holding the cup and flipped it upside down, pouring out all the content. "What are you doing with tap water?" He sounded angry, and his grip on my hand was starting to hurt.

 

I just did not understand him at all, but what I did not understand next was myself. "I was going to give it to Sohee." I boldly gave him my honest answer. What was I thinking when I said that? Absolutely nothing at all. I just felt frustrated that he was trying so hard to discard yet impress this girl by using me.

 

Honestly, I did not do anything wrong by writing his name. I was just responsibly doing my duty as the school monitor. Did I sin? He was the delinquent, not me. There was no reason I should have received this kind of treatment.

 

I snapped.

 

That's right.

 

My 'danger seeking mode' switch flipped to its 'on' mode.

 

I roughtly pulled Baekhyun's hand off mine. "Don't touch me. You're not even my real boyfriend." The cup I was holding fell into the sink with a loud clank. I didn't even more if the cup broke or not. All my thoughts were on Byun Baekhyun who was now giving me the most dumbfounded look I had ever seen.

 

"Are you crazy?" He asked, his voice lower than usual and his hands rolled up into tight fists. "What are you doing?"

 

I really must have been crazy. "I'm doing nothing wrong." Scooting back away from the boy who was not sighing in frustration and anger, I continued. "All I did was my job as a school monitor, and you threatened me to pretend to be your fake girlfriend so you could get rid of some girl. That's stupid. You're stupid."

 

The kitchen was silent for a while as the last couple of words echoed in my mind. Baekhyun seemed slightly dazed at my ranting. It made sense. I supposed nobody had ever really yelled at him in this manner before, and now that I was doing it, he wasn't sure what kind of face he should be making or if he should be yelling back.

 

Returning back to my senses, I decided to run, before he could figure out whether to get mad at me or not. I turned and started out the kitchen when I spotted Kyungsoo and Sohee looking in with a similar image of shock on their faces. 'Oh gosh, they heard me.' I glanced back at Baekhyun who has now realized that his friend and the girl has heard your little ramble as well.

 

This probably was not the appropriate time to say this, but the expression on Baekhyun's face was something I wanted to take a picture of and spread to the world. Embarrassed and humiliated, his face was burning a bright tan red.

 

Without another look back, I briskly walked out the door and onto the street towards my house.

 

Oh god. Today was Wednesday, wasn't it? That meant tomorrow was Thursday.

 

'I... should fake sick tomorrow and not go to school...' I regretted it. I always did, but there was no turning back now.

 

 


 

 

Turn back!

 

Awh, I made Baekhyun such a horrible person. I rushed through this because I have to go with a friend to someone's wedding and sing there... but I'll be back to edit this chapter for any missing details or whatnot.

By the way, for the people who were confused, the reason Kim Sarang is referred to as Kim Taeyeon is because she lied to Baekhyun about her name in chapter 2.