That little speck of happiness

Boundaries of the Heart

Kris was puzzled, no, he was furious. Taking deep breaths, he calmly put his pen down and stopped his paperwork. With a sullen face, he placed his folded hands over his upper lip and thought it over.

Had she really went to go stay with that bastard for three weeks? Three weeks! His body shook with demonic rage but his physical appearance was solemn serenity. His hand scrunched into a fist as he bit it out of fury.
 
He stood up and paced around his office, fire burning with every step. “Three weeks. Three mothering weeks!” he roared as he swept off all the things on his desk to the floor. Heaving, he looked at the mess on the ground and sighed.
 
A picture frame of him and Yirin smiling happily was now a broken piece of glass. He exhaled and pick it up. Carelessly, he swept a finger over the crackled frame and caressed Yirin’s flawless face. “A week is a while, but three is far too long, don’t you think?” Then instantly, he felt a sharp poke press into his flesh as blood gradually drew from his finger.
 
Kris silently winced from the pain, but nevertheless dealt with it. He put it down then looked at his watch. “Kim Joonmyun,” he snarled with a vicious chortle, “I hear your death bed calling for you, why don’t you go and answer its cry.”
 
Kris gazed at the picture of Yirin and smirked, “It’s about time he knows the truth, don’t you think?” 
 
He the blood out for his finger then spat it out in distaste. He grabbed his blazer and other personal belongings with him as he left his office. 
 
"Miseo, " he called his assistant with a coarse voice. 
 
The stressed out assistant turned away from the devil's work and turned to the demon himself. "Yes Mr. Wu? Is there anything else that I can do for you?" She calmly asked, trying to conceal the veins that were on the verge of popping out of her forehead from the immense work. 
 
He looks at the sleep deprived worker in front of him and he honestly couldn't have been happier. He brushed that complacency away and cleared his throat, "I'm going to be visiting an acquaintance, " he tried not to emphasize that falsely used word, "So I want you to take care of all the things that I have assigned from you done when I get back." He ordered. He turned around and already, he knew he had put her in a state of enraged bewilderment. "Oh, and one more thing, " he turned around quickly. "I expect my office tidy and sharp the time I get back. My paperwork, filed and ready to go. If not, " he smiley viciously to her, "Expect to get fired." 
 
 Miseo sighed as her boss from hell left the building. Curiously, she walked into his office and was flabbergasted by the horror that struck in this room.
 
"Oh my gosh, " she gasped, "What the hell is this?!" Papers where scattered everywhere. Picture frames, glass, and other fragile things were broken into sharp, miniscule pieces. She looked at every single thing that laid on the office ground, looking like a tornado just occurred. She fisted her hands down at her side and let out a cry of agony, "Why don't you just die!" She cursed with a heaving chest.
 
 
"The defendant is pleaded innocent." The judge announced as he banged the gavel.
 
Joonmyun smiled in victory as he won his case, yet again. He stood up and shook hands with to his client before he was taken with the security guards.
 
"Thank you so much!" His client's family thanked him with rapid hand shakes, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"
 
Joonmyun chuckled and shook his head, "No problem, just doing my job here." He humbly responded. 
 
From the corner of his eye, he saw his partner in crime radiating a grin towards his direction. Joonmyun bowed to the family then made his way to Kyungsoo. 
 
"Wow, " Kyungsoo applauded, "You really keep up your rep." He praised. 
 
Joonmyun laughed and gave him a pat on the shoulder, "Nah, " he hooked his arm around he younger's neck as the made their way out of the court room, "Couldn't have done it without you." 
 
They proceeded to make their way out of the courthouse and walked down the endless stairway. 
 
Joonmyun couldn't be any happier.  An undeniable smile appeared on his face as his body danced with each step that he took. He looked up at the sky, but inside of luminous sunshine, he was greeted with bulky clouds of grief. He shook away the contradictory insight and let out a serene exhale, "Ah, what a great day."
 
Kyungsoo looked at the older one and snickered, "I don't think I've ever seen you this happy after winning a case."
 
Reaching the bottom of the steps, Joonmyun stopped and turned to the younger male, "Honestly, these past weeks have been one of the best in a while, " he remarked. "I won this hard-cracking case, and also Yirin and I have been really great lately." He paused and smiled, "I really think that we're kicking it back to where we left off."
 
Kyungsoo looked at the other and sighed, "Well you never know." He took out a box of cigarettes from his pocket and popped a cigarette in his mouth. 
 
Joonmyun frowned, never liking this addiction of Kyungsoo's, and took both the box and cigarette from the younger man. "What are you implying on?"
 
Kyungsoo clucked his tongue and snatched his possessions back. "What I meant was, " he stuffed the packet back in his pocket and took out a lighter, "Things are good for now, but don't be too happy at the moment. When good has come in your life, something always has to come in the way and destroy that happiness." He wisely affirmed.
 
Joonmyun thought over that honest truth, but laughed it off. "Yah, " he nudged Kyungsoo's arm in a joking manner, "Since when did you become Confucius?" 
 
Kyungsoo lightly chuckled as put the cigarette in his mouth and lit it up, "It's the truth though, " he remarked as he took a puff. He pointer his finger at Joonmyun and wagged it up and down, "There's always that one person who's motive is to crush the least bit of happiness in your life and fill it up with misery."
 
Joonmyun's smile gradually faded away. His face became wary and bothersome. 
 
"Mm, " Kyungsoo hummed as he released his last puff, "I've got to go." he announced as he threw the unfinished cigarette on the ground and stepped on it. "I'll see you tomorrow." The younger man crossed the street and opened the door to his car, "Oh and I almost forgot, " he shouted from across the street, "We've got a new case so be prepared!" With that he got in his car and drove off. 

Joonmyun watched as Kyungsoo's car sped away in the distance. Joonmyun thought over the young man's philosophy. "Tch, " he scoffed, "What's gotten into him?" he wondered. He made his way to his car and unlocked it, "Maybe it's the smoking and cigarettes, " he convinced himself. He thought about it but shrugged. He started his engine and drove to his office. 

 

Joonmyun got out of his car and made his way into the law firm. He couldn't wait to go home and tell his beautiful wife about his wonderful day. Right when he was going to walk in, a man called his name.

"Kim Joonmyun!" the familiar voice called. 

Joonmyun turned around and leaning on the brick walls of the wall firm was him. Kris pushed himself from the wall using his bent knee and advanced towards him.

Joonmyun's smile faded away and his eyes glared at him, "What do you want?" he hissed.

Kris smirked, "Hey, that's not the way to talk to your wife's future husband."

Kris' stung his heart, but Joonmyun was not going to let him see that. Joonmyun kept a stern look on his face, "Don't worry, we'll divorce soon."

Kris scoffed, "Three months to be exact." He corrected.

Joonmyun turned to the man with a confused face, "Three months?"

Kris faked a surprised face, "Oh, she never told you?" He smirked and walked towards Joonmyun, "Ever wonder why she just suddenly reappeared in your life?" Joonmyun kept silent, not actually thinking about this before. "Let me make it easier for you, she's only giving a about you because you're dying in 3 months. She cares for you because of pity not love."

Joonmyun felt himself feel crestfallen. Is that really why she has been with me lately? He pondered over that thought.

Kris jeered at Joonmyun's expression, "You are an idiot. Did you really think she'd stay with you for good?" He laughed out loud, "You must be really grateful for your sickness. If it wasn't for your damn family's heredity heart disease, she would have already divorced you and be with me. We desperately want to be with each other but you always manage to it up!" He sneered. "So why don't you do us all a favor and drop dead already!" Kris sighed in a relaxed manner, "But that won't last long considering the fact you you're dying. So I guess we'll just anticipate on that day, now won't we?" he smiled again before he turned back and walked to his car. He looked at Joonmyun's heart broken state and that fulfilling satisfaction came to him again. Kris felt relief and proud, finally get those words into that scoundrels' head.

On the other hand, Joonmyun was in a state of anguish. His heart hurt and he was devastated. "I should've known, " he said to himself, "I should've known."

 

Yirin looked at Hayeon with an utmost surprised face, "What did you say?" She jumped to Hayeon, "Don't mess with me, Im Hayeon!" She squealed in ecstasy.

Hayeon laughed, "You're pregnant, woman! The big 'P'! You're gonna be a mommy!" She cheered. 
 
Yirin gasped as the information finally hit her. The late sudden realization came to her like a pleasant execution. Yirin giggled in utter thrill, "Oh my gosh, Hayeon I'm gonna be a mother!!" She hugged her assistant and jumped up and down in glee. "I can't wait to tell Joonmyun!!!"
 
From hearing that, Hayeon stopped jumping and held Yirn out. "Yirin, " she mumbled, "How do you even know if the child is his?"
 
Yirin scoffed at her question, "What do you mean how do I know? Of course it's Joonmyun's."
 
Hayeon looked at her, not wanting the expectant one to rage. "I meant..." She stopped trying to find the right words, "Who exactly is the father, Yirin? How can you be so sure?"
 
Yirin took her words in consideration, though she was not doubtful at all. "A few weeks ago, on our third year anniversary, Joonmyun and I...Made..Uh, love." She trailed, feeling a bit uncomfortable. "Plus Kris and I were never really successful, to be quite honest. We've always tried, since having kids was something we both wanted, but it never really worked out. I wasn't sure if it was me, or if it was him."
 
Hayeon grinned from hearing that. To be honest, she was more biased towards Joonmyun. She knew him ever since she started working for Yirin. When she found out that Yirin was seeing Kris, she was honestly a bit upset. Hayeon honestly didn't see what was so great about Kris. Joonmyun was sweet and warm-hearted while Kris was stern and cold. Perhaps it was his godly features. Hayeon shook about her judgmental thoughts and smiled at Yirin, "You two, " she emphasized, "Stay here. I'll go make some tea for us."
 
Yirin nodded at waited until Hayeon left the room. She stood up and made her way to Hayeon's full length mirror. She looked at herself and turn to the side. She palmed her small yet noticeable bump on her flat stomach. "Hello little love, " she whispered to it, "Do you hear mommy's voice?" She giggled to herself, "You are a blessing send from heaven, remember that." She told her embryo. She walked around the spacious bathroom and sighed in contentment with a smiled, "I promise to take care of you and be the mother that I will be." She vowed. "I will protect you and be your guardian. Love and care for you with motherly affection. You are my child, and I promise nurture you." She smiled and rubbed her belly again, "Daddy will be so happy, just you wait."
 
 
After a few hours with Hayeon, Yirin left home to tell Joonmyun about the amazing news. I can't wait to tell him. She spazzed out as she walked towards the doorsteps. She opened the door and saw Joonmyun sitting on the love seat with a tense face. Regardless of his expression, Yirin smiled and walked behind the seat. She leaned forward and wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed the side of his face, "Hi, " she greeted giddily.
 
Joonmyun leaned forward, causing her to detach her arms, and turn back to face her. He glared at her as he felt his angry and hurt emotions come back to him. 
 
Yirin's eyebrows knit at his response. "What's wrong?" She asked. Usually she would be greeted with a warm smile and a kiss hello. But today, she was greeted with silence and a frown. She walked around the love seat and knelt down to look at the eyes that refused to look at hers, "Joonmyun, " she called, "Are you okay? Did anything bad happen today at work?"
 
That little remark suddenly sparked anger in him. He stood up and walked away from her. With distress in his walk and anger on his face, he made his way to the kitchen. 
 
What happened today? She wondered. Confused, Yirin followed his suit. Hoping to change the thick atmosphere of discomfort, Yirin smiled and hugged him from behind, "Guess what I found out today?" She asked full of glee. 
 
Joonmyun scoffed and ripped her arms off of him, "Wanna know what I found out today?" He challenged. "I found out that this whole time, you were only with me because of pity!"
 
Yirin scrunched her eyebrows. "Pity?" Yirin was utterly confused and frightened by this side of him. What pity? There was no pity involved in her love and affection for him. What was the cause of his false accusation? Why is he acting like this? She asked herself. "Joonmyun, " she called walking towards him, "What are you talking about? Pity? What pity?"
 
Joonmyun laughed out loud, "Don't play dumb with me, Yirin. You're only here because I'm dying!"
 
She was unsure on how to answer him. Now it was her turn to stay silent. Her eyes cascade down as her right arm wrapped her on growing child.
 
Joonmyun chuckled bitterly, "I should've known. I truly am an idiot." He spat, "Why would you ever come back to me? You left me for him, even asking for a divorce. I'm a fool for thinking that you'd actually come back to me unconditionally." He laughed at himself, "My god I am a dumb ! To think you'd actually come back and love me like before." He looked down, feeling his heart grow more dejected than it already was. "But it was my illness that made you stay."
 
Yirin felt every one of his words sting her heart. It was true, but he made her intentions seem so vicious and poisonous. She wanted to explain how she wanted to help him, how she wanted to stay with him, how much she loves him. In sickness and in health, she would remain loving him. "Joonmyun, I-"
 
"Leave me alone! Go back to Kris! Leave me to die alone! Go marry him and just leave me alone!" he roared. At this rate, her every word was pure bull to him. He didn't want her to explain; he had heard all he needed to hear. 
 
Yirin walked towards him and held his arm, "Joonmyun, please let me-"

"I said leave me alone!" In impulsive anger and frustration, Joonmyun pushed her svelte body away. Putting more strength than he intended. 

From his strong force, Yirin's delicate body smashed to the pointy edge of the counter; the embryo being it's first victim. Like her stomach, her head bashed to the counter and created a bloody gash of flesh on her forehead. Blood ran down her shaky legs as it formed a ongoing pool of blood on the white kitchen floor, emphasizing the death that swam in it. 
 
Yirin gasped as she fell from the savagely brutal impact, skull slamming excruciatingly hard onto the luminous floor. All the aches in her body was gone. Her pain receptors were shut off. She laid there in animatedly and plain, having not processed everything that has happened yet. 
 
Joonmyun looked at her in shock. His breath grew erratic as his face heated in panic. "What have I done?" He gasped. Never did he ever meant to hurt her, moreover cause her pain or injury. "Yirin-ah!" He made his way to her and pulled her bloody, lifeless body in his arms. "Yirin-ah, " he called again slightly shaking her. 
 
Yirin didn't respond, feeling her last ounce of motherhood slip away from her. From that instant, her body reacted with a silent shock. She felt empty; no emotion, no reaction, no baby. "My baby...My little baby..." She murmured to herself. 
 
Joonmyun cried as he enveloped her in his arms. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean for this to happen." He apologized over and over again as he was rocking her back and fro in his arms. 
 
"No..." Silent tears trickled down the side of her face. "Chijin, " she whimpered, "Nayoung-ah, " she quietly sniveled while rubbing her empty stomach. Tears ran down her face. The little family that she envisioned was now a pathetic little air particle; insignificant and invisible. She mourned for her loss, sorrow, regret, pain, and despair. She cried for not being the mother she promised to be. She wept for the little life in her that was never known. Was he a Chijin? Or was she a Nayoung? Those were the questions she was never going to know, and for that she sobbed even more. 
 
Mommy's sorry, she quavered to herself. Daddy didn't mean it, he really didn't. Feeling drowsy from the loss of blood, Yirin's eyes rolled to the back of her head as she fell unconscious in the arms of her husband. 
 
Joonmyun panicked even more, "No." He shook her and lightly patted her cheeks, "Yirin, Yirin-ah, Han Yirin!" He shouted with blood-shot eyes. "No, baby please, " he pleaded, "Please wake up, be okay." He held her from under her arms and under her knees, just like when she was his newly-wedded bride, then lifted her up. Then he noticed the blood that trickled down her legs and dripped to the floor. 
 
Joonmyun was frighteningly baffled. As if she wasn't bleeding enough, blood was running down her leg also! Why were her legs bleeding? Did he hurt another anonymous part of her also? He didn't like blood, another reason why he was not a doctor, but seeing the one he loves in a bloody state of life like this was a heart-breaking disturbance he never anticipated on seeing; especially when he was the one who caused it. Joonmyun turned away from that unimportant question and grabbed a thin blanket to wrap it around her. He put her on his back and carried her to the car. He gently placed her in the car and grief overcame him.
 
The gash on her head had so much depth, making Joonmyun's stomach churn. Her usually plump and lively lips were now pasty and pale. Her cascading hair of dark golden brown hair was now straws of yarn. It seemed like that jarred blow that she received from him all the life out of her.
 
Seeing her so inert made his heart hurt with pangs of conscience. You did all this, you monster. You're heartless, immoral, unethical, vicious, and evil. If anything happens to her, you deserve every right to suffer. The voice from the back of his head said to him.
 
He looked down as a tear fell down to the hard, cold, cement. The dark rain cloud gathered around him, preparing to bombard him with rain. He looked up and finally the weather was up to his status; dark, gloomy, and pensive. A single rain drop fell on in his eye, as if it were cursing him for causing pain and suffering amongst the innocent and weak.
 
He close the passenger seat door and went to the other side. He sat in the drivers seat and drove to the hospital with a heavy heart.

Word Count: 3,486

Oh gosh! This is by far the longest chapter I've ever written. Scratch that, this is the longest chapter I've ever written! So much happened in this chapter and I didn't want to split it so yeah. I'm sorry for not keeping my promise. I was gonna update on Wednesday but on Thursday I went on trip to see two different UCs. Then I Friday by teachers decided to be trolls and give me extra homework. Aren't they great? Note the sarcasm.

Anyway back to the story. Kris is such an boss! Talk about the devil! Sorry, made Kyungsoo a smoker here (not saying that he looks like one or anything). Just to clear it up for everyone, the baby was Joonmyun's. So sorry to the people who were ruing for Kris, he's been shooting blanks. Anyway, Isn't it a bit ironic how in the beginning Yirin was the one who was crying for Joonmyun to stay alive? Now Joonmyun is the one pleading for mercy on his wife. Amazing how the tables have turned. What will happen now? Will the baby survive?

Comments are appreciated and motivating