A Mother's Wish

Boundaries of the Heart

Yirin had woken up earlier than usual to visit Joonmyun. Though it’s only been a day since he was sent to the hospital, she couldn’t help but want to see him again. She wanted to make sure he was doing well and if he had woken up yet. Yirin got in the elevator and pressed the third floor button with a smile on her face. She had a dosirac filled with delicious food that she spent making all morning to make. The elevator dinged and opened. She made her way to Joonmyun's room but noticed that it was empty. Did something happened last night? She friskily walked out of the room and to  the receptionist. “Excuse me, what happened to the patient Kim Joonmyun?”

“You mean the one in Room 126? He was transferred elsewhere.”

Yirin sighed knowing that he was okay. “Could you give me the location?” She asked.

The receptionist shook her head, “I’m sorry, but we were told to keep his whereabouts confidential.”

Yirin in a breath and thanked the woman. She aimlessly walked back to the elevator. “Transferred...By who?”

Suddenly she was halted by a tall, suited, middle-aged man. She looked up and saw the familiar chauffeur, Joonmyun’s mother’s chauffeur to be exact. Yirin looked at him, “Jeon?”

The chauffeur bowed and stepped aside only to reveal a petite elder older woman. Her short length hair was wavily curled and side-swept She wore elegant and high-class clothing with extravagant earrings and a diamond necklace. Her shoes shined brighter than the hospital light as her thick perfume could suffocate anyone close enough. But Yirin was used to this. Before they had gotten married and were being to date, Yirin had to adjust to Joonmyun's mother and eventually gotten into the softer side of her. However, the nice woman that she once knew was now like any other protective mother lioness: fierce, intimating, and cautious with their children.

She scanned Yirin from head to toe, “I need to speak to you.” She walked to an empty waiting room and sat in one of the chairs. Yirin, along with Jeon, followed her lead. He closed the door behind Yirin and stood outside to guard it.

Yirin sat across from her mother-in-law and hesitantly opened to speak, “What is it that you wanted to—”

“I come back from Thailand and I hear that my son was in the hospital three times.” Her booming voice shook Yirin up inside. “Not only that but word has gotten around saying that you are seeing him again?” She clicked her tongue, “You truly are a thick-faced .”

Yirin sat up in her seat, “Omeoni, I—”

“Don’t you dare call me that,” she spat, “You lost every right and privilege to call me that after you dare cheated on my Joonmyun.”

Yirin mushed her lips together, no matter how many times she wanted to deny it, she knew it was completely true. “Everything you said is true, but omeoni,” she ignored that hateful stare that she was receiving from the other, “You have to understand that Joonmyun and I are now back to the way we were. I love him as he loves me.”

“I don’t care,” she protested, “It’s only been two months and already he’s been sent here twice.” She threw an envelope full of money on the table, “I want you to stay away from him. Having you around will only worsen his condition.”

Yirin looked at the envelope and scoffed, “Are you seriously bribing me with money? I am a successful architect,” she handed the money back to the woman, “I don’t need your money.”

The woman smirked and put the envelope back in her purse, “Very well then, makes it much more easier for me.” She stood up, “I want you to stay away from my son and go back to your China man.” She opened the door, “Let’s go Jeon, the presence of this is making my head spin.”

The man looked at the insulted look on Yirin’s face and frowned. Nonetheless he nodded, “Right away, ma’am.”

Yirin waited for her to leave until she allowed her stressful tear to slip. She knew that what she did before was terrible—even she herself didn’t want to believe it. But she can’t take back what happened. Her situation at the time was already so complicated.



Kris walked into the office wanting to see her. He got out of the elevator and saw her as soon he took his first step. She was sipping her coffee while talking to the phone to a costumer. He softly grinned and made his way to her.

“I’ll be sure to give her your message, thank you and I’ll be seeing you shortly.” Hayeon hung up and began typing on her keyboard. From the corner of her eye, she saw someone walking over to her. “I’ll get with you. Just let me do this very
” she finished typing, “All done. What can I do for you?” She faced the person and immediately her smile disappeared. She grew tense and looked away, “What do you want Kris?” She asked as she pretended to occupy herself with work. "Yirin's not in yet.”

“I didn’t come here to see her,” he clarified, “I came here for you.”

Hayeon stopped her shuffling for a second, “Really?” She pretended to file some papers in a cabinet, “I find that very hard to believe.”

“I came here to talk about yesterday.” He told her.

“Yesterday? What happened yesterday? I don’t recall anything significant happening,” she looked at him, “Really.” She went back to her computer and began typing random sentences.

“You’re lying, I can tell.”

She stopped and gave him a tiresome look, “Well I’m not, okay?”

He lightly chuckled, “Yes you are, because I haven’t forgotten.” She looked at his eyes and saw how genuinely concerned they were. Did he really? Is this his form of apology?

“Kris,” Yirin called breaking the tension from the two.

Hayeon cleared and gathered up the scattered paper on her table top. Kris turned around and gave her a perfunctory smile. “I just wanted to see if you got here safely,” he lied. He scanned the area quickly, “Well everything here seems fine so I’ll get going.” He hastily gave Yirin a peck on the cheek and walked past her.

Hayeon looked up from her desk and met his eyes in the elevator. His powerful stare looking deep within her soul made the hairs on the back of her neck stand. His eyes were so culpable and remorseful. The elevator door closed, breaking their contact. Kris recalled how she was so tense and disturbed when he was speaking with her. He shook his head and walked out of the building. I am truly a bad man.

 

Yirin sat in her office adjusting her files from one another. “So my Hampyeong client rescheduled for today?”

Hayeon nodded, “She called me this morning to confirm it. She should be here anytime now.”

“Okay, thank you Hayeon. You can leave now, I can handle everything from here. Just take it easy on your foot, alright?” Hayeon bowed and left the office.

Yirin went though her files signing, skimming through texts, and confirming information. There was a knock on the door. “Come in,” she said still looking through her files. She placed the Hampyeong client’s file in front of her. “Hi I’m—”

“Han Yirin?” Minrin gaped at the woman in front of her.

“Minrin?" She sneered, "You’re my Hampyeon client?” She was outraged. Her gut began to boil and her body began to shake from all the anger building up, “Why are you—what?”

Minrin saw how infuriated the woman was, and honestly she grew a bit frightened. “My cousin arranged everything okay, I had absolutely no idea!” She defended herself, not wanting to be skinned by the other.

Yirin scoffed, “Why would she even choose mine of all places?” She still had some grudges against this woman whom she hates.

It was her turn to scoff. She made it seem like she was voluntarily chose her to do it. Like she knew who she was working with—literally. “You think I wanted this also?!” Minrin shouted back at the woman.

“Then why won’t you just leave?!”

“Because this is important for me!”

“There are plenty of others why me?”

“You are one of the best and I need to grant my mother’s dream home that she always wanted!”

Yirin was mollified. Minrin heart thumped, feeling her eyes sting from the topic of her deceased mother. “My mom died giving me a beautiful landscape. With that land, I wanted to give her the house she always wanted, the house she always deserved.” She looked at Yirin, “But if you aren’t willing to give me that, then that’s fine.” Minrin hooked her purse over her shoulder and stood up. She turned around and made her way to the door.

Yirin sighed and propped her elbows on the table. She massaged her temples and shut her eyes, “Tell me what you want.” She said defeatedly.

Minrin stopped midway and slowly turned around, “Excuse me?”

Yirin looked at her, “Oh right, sorry.” She sat up straight and crossed her fingers together, “Tell me what your mother would have wanted.”

Minrin smiled in relief, was she really pushing her loathing feelings away? Her faith in Yirin was rescued completey. Yirin nodded her head at the seat in front of her desk, “Come, sit, let’s discuss this.”

 

The day was going amazing for Minrin. She had finally improved her relationship with Yirin and in a week’s time, her mother’s dream home would be constructed. She clocked out of the hospital and walked out to the breezy wind. 

A jacket was placed over her shoulders along with a warm arm. She looked up and saw Kyungsoo with a smile on his face, “Minrin, did you know that if you are within the normal weight range for your height, you are less likely to suffer problems such as high blood pressure or diabetes during pregnancy.

She frowned, “I’m normal,” she defended.

He chuckled, “No you’re not, you’re actually too skinny for a mother therefore you should have dinner with me.” He added casually.

She stopped and laughed, “Kyungso-sshi, are you asking me out on a date?”

He grinned, “If you see it that way.” He grabbed her hand, “Let’s go.”


 

Let's Talk About The Story:

Woah, Mama Kim comes into play here! Did you guys forget about their parents? *clicks tongue and wiggles finger* Silly you. How about Kris and Hayeon? That was *coughs*SORTA*coughs* deep there Kris. Now that we know Yirin adn Minrin are cool now, we have no more catty chick drama between the two. I was ging to add KyungRin's little "date" but it got boring so no. Sorry, it's like almost 2 AM and I'm tired so sorry if the chapter was a bit blaaaah

Please subscribe, comment, and upvote! 

tumblr_inline_mh8k8fmJwU1qz4rgp.gif