A Painful Compromise.

Boundaries of the Heart

The car was abnormally silent as the only thing heard was the engine of the car. Kris looked at Yirin and sighed. Her head was leaning on the window as her eyes idly stared at the streets that they passed. Her hands were folded and placed on top of her lap as her svelte body was shifted to her right. Her body had gotten so thin over the course of the miscarriage, it was almost frightening. He had fed her all the necessary supplements and nutrients, but she still looked so frail. Wanting to light up the mood, he took his right hand off the wheel and placed it on top of her hands and squeezed it.

Yirin jumped from his sudden touch and jerked her hands away from him. She straightened up her posture, feeling off guard, and glanced at him, "Yes?" She asked a bit bothered.

Kris cleared his throat and looked away from her, feeling his pride slowly diminish. Nevertheless, he smiled and looked at her, "Do you want to do something before your appointment?" He asked, "We still have a few hours."

Still looking out the window, she shook her head as a reply, refusing to look at him. She had no warning whatsoever from him, so she was still a bit startled. 

"Are you sure?" He trailed, "I heard Les Miserables is playing. Your favorite book~" he chimed, sounding enthusiastic. 

Yirin continued looking out the window then sighed. She cranked her seat back and closed her eyes, "No, I just want to go home and sleep." She shut her eyes and leaned back in her seat. 
 
And this was basically the daily routine of Kris' life with Yirin at the moment. He never asked about her emotional breakdown from a few days ago; he figured she was still mourning over her miscarriage. Honestly he hated his distance they have grown. Cuddling was no longer a usual casualty when sleeping together. Instead, she would stay at the edge of her side curled in a fetus position while he yearned for intimacy and closure. 
 
Kris continued driving while looking at her with a wounded pride. He felt so useless. He was hers yet she neglects him when she had problems. Maybe it's because I'm a man, I won't understand womanly problems such as miscarriages. He wisely convinced himself.  
 
 
"We can charge him with multiple accounts of battery against women that he's forced into ion. Along with that—" Kyungsoo stopped once he saw Joonmyun clutch onto his head stressfully. "Joonmyun!" He called trying to get the man's attention. 
 
"What?" He hissed back sharply in an irritated voice, still not looking at the younger man. 
 
"Woah-ho," Kyungsoo chuckled, "What's up with you?" He asked as he took a packet of cigarettes out of his pocket. He took one out, placed it in his plump lips, and reached for his lighter. 
 
Right when he was going to light it up, Joonmyun scowled at him with an authoritative finger at him, "Light that up and I will sue every damn cigarette chain that there is in all of South Korea." He threatened venomously. 
 
The younger man scoffed, a bit infuriated. "What the hell man?" Kyungsoo complained as he put his leisure things away. "The hell is up your ?"
 
Joonmyun grabbed the back of his hair and scrunched onto them. "Nothing but my own damn head." He massaged his throbbing head, squeezed his pulsating temple, and pinched the bridge of his nose but it was all no use; he was in complete, utter pain.
 
Kyungsoo noticed his friend's pain and stopped joking around, "Are you okay?" He asked, feeling genuinely concerned.
 
Joonmyun nodded his head, "Just feeling a bit stressed, that's all." He said calmly. He was a mess, his life was a mess, everything was a mess. The case, along with his other ones, was a big one. Joonmyun was determined to get Minrin her freedom and Jongin sent to prison for life. Righteous indignation as he called it. However, it all seemed so difficult to achieve with a heavy heart. Joonmyun never mixed work and his personal life together, but it seems like his heart just couldn't this time.
 
He missed Yirin. He missed her presence and the love and affection she gave him. Without her, he was incomplete and basically and walking tornado. Something as easy as fixing a tie was impossible without her assistance. Sleeping was now a difficult task due to the empty bed. He missed the food she made him and the kisses she gave. However he knew he couldn't have her grieving over him for the rest of her life, so he let her go.
 
There was a soft knock on the door. The two men looked back and saw Minrin walk in with her usual classy attire: blouse, high pencil skirt, and heels. "Sorry," she apologized as she walked in, "Am I too late?"
 
Kyungsoo obliviously scanned her stunning appearance from top to bottom. "No," he said as he avoided looking into her eyes, "We were just discussing." He cleared his throat and awkwardly stood, "Please, have a seat." 
 
Minrin chuckled, "Sorry, it's just I was rushing since I work in a few and—"
 
"Your bruises are gone, or is that just the foundation?"
 
Kyungsoo looked at the source as Minrin awkwardly laughed, "Um..." She hesitated to answer.
 
Kyungsoo noticed the girl's uncomfortable composure, "Joonmyun," he began, "We should continue with our discussion with our."
 
"Can't I know the well being of my client?" Joonmyun sharply protested back.
 
Client. Minrin emphasized in her head, That's all I really am to him, a client. She in a breath and smiled to him, "No, I'm fine, really. They're healing well now, thank you for caring though." She took a seat next to Kyungsoo, "Anyway, what is it looking like?"
 
Kyungsoo looked at the seat next to his, the one where she sat, and awkwardly looked away, "Um, well," he sat on the edge of his seat, "It's turning out to look great. But if you—"
 
"Ugh," Joonmyun grunted as he clenched his fists. Kyungsoo and Minrin looked at him, "Are you okay?" Minrin asked, panic firing in her eyes.
 
Kyungsoo's eyes widened, "Joonmyun," he called in a dead serious voice, "Stop messing with us."
 
Joonmyun shut his eyes and gasped, "Oh god." He got up started hyperventilating. "I can't-I can't breathe." He groaned huskily. He clutched onto his chest, wanting to rip the pain out of it. He groaned and fell on his knees violently shaking from the pain.
 
"Oh my gosh!" Minrin gasped. She pushed Kyungsoo aside and ran to his side. She went on her knees and held him up, "Kyungsoo call the ambulance," she looked back at him with urgency, "He's having a heart attack!"
 
"Heart attack?!" Kyungsoo pulled out his phone from his pocket and dialed 911. "Hello? My friend is having a heart attack! He is suffering a heart disease and it seems to be triggering!" He shouted through the phone. "We are at Kim Law Firm at Downtown Seoul!" He rambled, "Please be here as soon as possible!" He hung up the phone and went on his knees next to Minrin, "I don't get it, he was perfectly fine. He didn't even show signs or anything!" He shouted enraged.
 
"That's the thing with Brugada Syndrome, there really are not signs until you find out you have it." She bit her lips as a tear slipped out, "Please be okay, Joonmyun. Stay strong."
 
Kyungsoo looked at Minrin and saw the sincerity that she had for him slither down her face with that single tear. He looked down, You can do it, buddy. Push through it. 
 
 

Kyungsoo took out his packet of cigarettes from his pocket, "Finally," he exhaled with relief. He opened it and picked up the cigarette from before and placed it in his mouth. He took his lighter and flicked the flame onto the end of the and took a sip of the nicotine. "Ah," he exhaled as he puffed out a thick fog of smog.

"You smoke?"

Kyungsoo turned around and saw Minrin. She walked to the balcony and stood next to him, "I hate smokers, actually." She leaned on the balcony and looked at him, "Jongin is a smoker, not to mention an impulsive alcoholic who refuses to acknowledge his limits." She informed frankly.

Kyungsoo coughed and threw the unfinished cigarette on the ground then stepped on it. "Well, I'm not a crazy smoker and I'm on my way to quitting, thank you very much." He replied as he threw his packet in the nearest trash bin. Guess it's time to quite, cold turkey. He told himself.

She laughed and playfully hit his arm, "I was kidding, but it's a good thing you're quitting." She encouraged, "Smoking is a terrible addiction that is hard to overcome, so it's fantastic that you're trying to stop." A buzzing sound was heard. Minrin checked phone and read a text, "Kyungsoo," she looked at him with dazzling eyes, "We can go see him now." She informed him.

They walked into Joonmyun's room. Kyungsoo looked away, unable to see his best friend and partner in crime in such state of being. Wires, needles, and machinery was wrapped around his body. His chest was exposed, where wires were stuck onto him to detect his heart beat. Kyungsoo grimaced at the image. He never liked hospitals, that's why he works in court room.
 
Minrin walked towards Joonmyun stood over him, "Joonmyun?"
 
Joonmyun opened his eyes and looked at her, "Minrin," he looked up at Kyungsoo, "Kyungsoo," he called breathlessly. "I need you guys to do me a favor."
 
The two looked at each other, "Sure, what is it?" Kyungsoo asked.
 
Joonmyun swallowed his breath, "I...I did a horrible thing." He confessed, "I lied to Yirin. I...I told her-I told her that I was with Minrin."
 
Minrin's eyed widen, "Excuse me?"
 
Kyungsoo looked at the girl then back at Joonmyun, "You did what? Why for?"
 
"Hear me out," Joonmyun rasped, "My last check up, she probably saw me and Minrin's hug and thought wrong."
 
Kyungsoo was a bit taken back. He hugged her? What for? Yes he was a bit dejected, but knowing the kind of person that Joonmyun was, he knew it wasn't for a manipulative reason. He shrugged it off, "What do you want us to do then?"
 
"I want you guys to not tell her the truth. Make her believe that we are actually something; don't mention the case to her, because I'm pretty sure she's unaware of it." He requested. Her looked at Minrin, "Minrin, no matter what, make sure you don't let it out. Convince her that we are a couple." He looked at Kyungsoo, "Kyungsoo, please," he pleaded, "No matter what, don't tell her the truth." Joonmyun shut his eyes, "I don't want her to love a dead man. I'd rather have her with Kris, someone who can actually love and protect her, than me, who will be dead by the time I can claim her as mine again."
 
Minrin shook her head, "Joonmyun I-I don't think I can do this." She confessed.
 
"Please Minrin!" He pleaded loudly, "This is the only thing I ask of you. Let me die a happy man."
 
Minrin mashed her lips together and bit them down with her teeth. She nodded slowly and caressed his hand, "Okay Joonmyun, if that's what you want then I'll do that for you."
 
He weakly smiled and turned to Kyungsoo with pleading eyes. Kyungsoo sighed and nodded his head, "I mean I am a laywer right? Lying is my profession isn't it?" He joked.
 
Joonmyun laughed lightly and pat Kyungsoo's shoulder, "Thank you," he thanked weakly, "Really."
 
 
 
She looked at Minrin sternly. She looked at how the other girl crossed her legs every time she sat down. It was only until now that she realized that the nurse was left-handed. She hated how her golden bronze skin tone was so sheer in texture. She eyes was unbelievably beautiful, making her question whether her eyes were natural or surgically repaired.
 
Minrin stopped writing her report of Yirin's progress when she felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand. She looked up and saw Yirin observing her. "Yes Yirin-sshi? Did you need something?"
 
The other girl narrowed her eyes at her, "Are you guys really together now?"
 
Minrin's neck tensed. She blinked then stood up to put her notebook away in her filing cabinet, "I'm not sure what you're talking about." She replied.
 
Yirin walked towards her, "You know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm talking about you and Joonmyun!" She shouted in fury.
 
Minrin didn't think she's have to face this scenario so quickly. She in a quick breath and prepared herself, "Of course, why would we be lying for?"
 
Feeling anger boiling in her body, Yirin pushed Minrin's shoulder back, "Don't lie to me," she snarled, "You aren't together are you?" Yes, she was in denial, but she knew Joonmyun wasn't a man that moved on quickly. He was a man of meaningful memories and attached emotions. There was no way he could have moved on on such short notice.
 
That semi-violent act of anger completely ticked her off. If Yirin was going to play dirty, so was she. Minrin smirked and allowed her inner diva to come out and shine, "Why are you so upset?" She asked with malicious eyes, "Don't you have a back up, Kris?" She saw how Yirin shrunk from the mention of the other man's name. "What about him? You basically threw my loving Joonmyun for that man and now you're mad at me?" She scoffed obnoxiously, "Seriously, Yirin? Get over yourself." She walked closer to the defenseless girl, "How many men would it take to make you feel complete?" She asked rhetorically. "You had Joonmyun and you lost him. Boo-hoo, cry me a river. Like they always say: you had a good thing but now it's gone. There's nothing you can do now but realize your loss and get over it." She articulated thus emphasizing. 
 
Somehow, this was like a flashback with her confrontation with Joonmyun. Why didn't everyone realize that she was unhappy with Kris? Minrin, of all people, should have realized that she was depressed and unsettled. She wanted Joonmyun back but was unsure how to break it to Kris. Yes, she realized her mistake so why hadn't everyone else accept the fact that she did. The fact that Minrin basically called her a enraged her to the maximum. Unable to conceal her anger any longer, she lunged onto Minrin and pulled her hair.
 
Yirin tugged and pulled her hair, making the girl scream. She scratched her face and kneed her in the guts. Minrin, on the other hand, was still physically unstable so each hit, pull, and tug was a hundred times more painful. "Ah!" She screamed as she tried to pry Yirin off of her, "Let me go!"
 
 
 
Kris ran into the police station. He was in a middle of a meeting when he got a call from the police station saying Yirin had been arrested for assault and battery. He looked around until he saw Yirin sitting next to her nurse at an officer's table. He sighed with relief and walked towards them.
 
Kyungsoo pushed the doors of the police station. Unsure of where Minrin was, he walked towards Jongdae and Minseok. "Where is she?" He asked them. In sync with each other's movements, both men nodded to their right. "She's pretty beaten up," Minseok affirmed.
 
"Was a real nasty cat fight, I'll tell you that." Jongdae added.
 
Kyungsoo looked and saw the band-aids on Minrin's face. He smiled at her cute she looked, but felt bad at the same time. He walked towards her direction and saw the man he despised the most, Kris, walking the same way as he. Then he realized that Yirin was sitting apart from Minrin. He frowned, figuring out already why both women were there.
 
As soon as he reached there, he put his hand on Minrin's shoulder, "Are you okay?" He asked.
 
She looked up at him and nodded, "I'm fine, totally used to this by now." She joked.
 
Kyungsoo chuckled dryly, but caressed the band-aid on her cheek, "Don't say that, now." He told her. He didn't want to be reminded of the brutality she once faced. He desperately wanted to be the man that makes her forget about her painful past and be the one who gave her a reason to be happy, as corny as that sounded. He sighed, knowing things just wouldn't have worked out. "Wait here," he told her, "I'll go to the booking officer to bail you out." He told her.
 
After paying her bail out money, Kris went back to retrieve Yirin. He bent down on one knee and looked at her, "Are you okay? What happened?" She looked at him then looked away. He furrowed his eyebrows, feeling frustrated from the lack of response. "Baby, tell me what happened." He pleaded.
 
"I'm at fault here," she answered shortly.
 
He sighed and kissed her forehead, "Come on, let's go." He took her hand and brought her on her feet. They walked out of the police station and to their car.
 
From the corner of her eyes, she spotted Kyungsoo and Minrin walking out of the station. She pulled her arm from Kris' and ran to them. She ignored his shout for her to come back and held onto Kyungsoo's arm, "Kyungsoo." Tears were starting to form in her eyes, "Please tell me none of this is true."
 
Minrin looked away, feeling the tension in the air. Kyungsoo, unable to look at her, looked down and stayed silent. A promise was a promise, he told himself.
 
Yirin exhaled a sob, "So it is." She concluded herself as she let go of his arm.
 
"Yirin," Kris called as reached her. He looked at Kyungsoo, recognizing him as a friend of Joonmyun's, then at Minrin. He glanced at Minrin then bowed, "I'm sorry Yirin's violent act upon you." He apologized politely. He held Yirin's hand, "Let's go, Yirin-ah." They walked away from the two and made their way back to Kris' car. He buckled her in then walked to his side to drive. 
 
Kris looked at her, "Baby, you know you can tell me anything right? What happened back there? Do you want me to request another nurse for you?" He asked. She stayed silent though. He grew more frustrated, "Han Yirin, talk to me! I am your husband!"
 
Husband. Somehow hearing that come out of Kris' mouth was just so incorrect. Her lips quivered. She placed her curled index finger over her lips and bit onto it. She shut her eyes as her hands covered her face. Yirin was now in tears. She hated violence, yet she was the one who started this. She had change so much, it irked her. She didn't want to be like this anymore. Then she realized that Joonmyun was the one who kept her balanced, the one who made her happy, the one who made her the way she was. She sat in the car and cried to herself, knowing that he was now some else's.
 
Kris sat there, unsure if he was the reason of her tears. "Yirin, I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean to—"
 
"No," Yirin said between her cries, "I'm fine, please just drive." She ordered.
 
Not wanting her to cry even more, he obligated and drove her home.

Wow, I am so sorry for not updating after so a week or so. Final ending this week and homework was just loaded onto me. Plus I wrote a killer story for my friends and myself, haha. So if you guys want to check it out, it's right here. Hey guys, sorry for doing this but can you guys also check out my Sehun/Luhan story if you haven't yet. I'd really appreciate it :D

You guys like the new formatting? I got it from my killer story and thought I'd use it. Anyway, I hope you guys start to kinda feel a bit sympathetic towards Yirin and hopefullt dislike her less. Aigoo, Kyungsoo's feels for Minrina re just so cute and gushy. HE'S EVEN WILLING TO QUIT SMOKING FOR HER :O Minrin is so oblivious to his feelings, smh. Kris is so caring towards Yirin, yet she pushes him away. Joonmyun is just wanting the best for her. Bless his soul.

Comments are appreciated