New Found Information

Boundaries of the Heart

Yirin paced down the hospital hallway, biting her thumb nail. She had received a call from Kyungsoo, one of Joonmyun’s colleagues, telling her that Joonmyun was in the hospital and that it was an emergency. She bit her lip from anxiety, heart thumping relentlessly, with small droplets of sweat forming on her porcelain forehead. “What could be the problem?” she mumbled to herself.

Right when she was making predictions in her head, the doctor came out of the room. “Hello, I’m Dr. Shim." he greeted. "I’m guessing you’re Kim Joonmyun’s wife?”

She coughed at the doctor's assumption, “Ex-wife to be exact, we’re getting a divorce.” she cleared up. She saw the doctor’s face slowly start to falter, “What seems to be the problem, doctor?”

He cleared his throat, “Mr. Kim has been suffering from a genetic heart disease called Brugada Syndrome for almost 3 months now. The stage that he is in at the moment is very life-threatening.”

Yirin felt her heart begin to sink. “Heart disease?”

Dr. Shim took off his glasses and cleaned them, “Ah, I see that you were not aware of this.” He nodded and wore them, “Very well then.” He cleared is throat, “This disease will trigger heart attacks and he will faint at times. He has less than 3 months to live before the chambers in his heart closes up.”

Yirin looked down at her feet. Guilt, pity, and grief enclosed her.

Dr. Shim took notice of this and patted her on the back, “Hold on the divorce. For now just enjoy every moment that you have with him. Make those 3 months the best days of his life,” and with that the doctor left her.

Tears rimmed along Yirin’s eyes. “He...He kept this from me...” She shut her eyes and allowed the tears to flow. Pain overcame her for not knowing earlier. Guilt evoked her body, for she was the one that cheated on him and asked for the divorce. And sadness filled her. Though she loved another man, she couldn’t help but still have her love and care for her "husband".

She wiped away her tears and stepped up to his hospital room. She took a deep breath before taking a hold of the door knob and twisting it open. She stepped inside and was met with the horrors that she feared the most.

There he was, laying on the hospital bed like a lifeless corpse. Needles were injected to every visible vein on his pale body. Wires and tubes entangled his body as an oxygen mask covered his face.

Yirin bit back a cry. Seeing him in this state was something she did not anticipate on. With slow and cautious steps, she walked towards him and carefully sat down next to him on the bed. Yirin wrapped both of her small hands around his cold hands. “Why,” she whispered, “Why didn’t you tell me you were in pain? I would’ve been there for you, regardless of our situation.” She muffled a cry, but quickly stopped when his fingers twitched.

Joonmyun fluttered his eyes open as they adjusted to the hospital lights. “Yirin?” he said in a raspy voice, “Are you...Are you crying?” he asked in disbelief.

With trembling lips she held his hands tighter, “Why didn’t you tell me earlier?” she cried.

Joonmyun sat up, with much difficulty, and caressed her tears away, “Don’t cry for me.” He gave her an assuring smile, “I’m fine, see?”

Yirin smiled within her tears. His smile was so contagious yet beautifully false. She knew he was in pain, yet he held it back just for her. She felt like the bad person, perhaps she was; she knew she was. 

“That’s my g-” he stopped. That’s right, he said to himself, she’s not mine anymore. “What did Dr. Shim say?” he asked, changing the subject.

“He...” Yirin couldn’t tell him that he only had 3 months to live; she just couldn’t. “He said you were fine. You just needed to take care of your body...That’s all,” she lied, sugar-coating everything.

Joonmyun nodded, “Then I guess you should-”

He spoke too soon. Just before he was going to finish his words, Yirin received a text from him.

 

Where were you?” Kris asked as he was driving to his and Yirin’s loft.

“I was at the hospital,” she said still looking out the window.

He glanced at her for a second then grinned. He held her hand with his free one and kiss it, “Are you pregnant?” he asked, hoping it was a yes.

Yirin sighed then turned to his side and held his free hand, “No.”

“Then why’d you go to the hospital for?”

“Because of Joonmyun.”

From the mention of the other man’s name, Kris’s face harden and his smile was quickly replaced with a frown. He let go of her hand and controlled the steering wheel, “When are you going to divorce him?” he asked impatiently.

“I can’t divorce him right now.” she said looking at him sternly.

“Yirin,” he scoffed, “It’s been 5 months already. How much longer do I-”

“He has a heart disease called Brugada Syndrome and has only 3 months to live.” Kris looked at her in disbelief. “He needs me right now. His heart is getting weaker and weaker everyday. He will faint or even strike a heart attack anytime!" She sighed,"Without me there who will help him?” she rationalized. 

Kris scoffed, “He’s so desperate. Probably paid the doctor to tell you this.” he grumbled. He looked the other way and parked their car in front of the loft.

“He’s not like that,” she unbuckled her seatbelt and got out of the car. She walked next to him and looped her arms with his, “3 months, just be patient.”

Kris sighed and looked down at her. “Fine. 3 months then it's just you and me.” He smiled and kissed the top of her forehead. Once he's dead and out of the way, we will finally be at peace. 


So here's the first chapter. Please tell me what you think.