Poison in a Bun

Made For You (TaengSic)

 

Chapter Eight: Poison in a Bun
 

 

 


“You’re going to hang out with Taeyeon again?” Yuri asked Jessica as she eyed the blonde from head to toe. The blonde wasn’t wearing her usual biker attire. Maybe because her bike was still at her parent’s house and she would look weird if she ended up wearing her leather outfits. “Hot pants, a cute top, light make up, flats… are you seducing the kid by trying to look her age?”

Jessica looked at her friend who was playing with Popo on her bed as she got ready to go out with Taeyeon. “It’s my first time hanging out with her. Are you crazy? Who will be seduced by this?” Jessica pointed at her outfit. “Seducing a kid… funny.” The blonde rolled her eyes as she finished the sentence.

“Well, you specifically wanted to go out with Popo today so I brought her here. I kinda figured you’re going out to impress the girl with your cute dog. It works every time, right? I maen, we see it all the time in movies. Like, the lead role will always have a cute dog to seduce a high school student and then that lead person is a chef.”

“Shut up.”

“Well, do tell me why she’s always in the restaurant? Isn’t it because of those dates you’ve been having?”

Jessica rolled her eyes once again as she sighed and then landed her gaze on Yuri, who was Popo’s fur. “She’s been going to the restaurant for months now. It had very little to do with me.”

Yuri then nodded and said, “Yup. You’re not the reason she goes to the restaurant. Your cooking is not the reason she became a regular. Oh, my personal favorite, she can’t tell if it’s your cooking or not. So yes, you don’t really have any special connection.”

“Your imagination never fails to amaze me.”

Yuri smiled despite the girl’s sarcastic remark. “So, you’re going out with her again?” She was really excited.

“What do you mean by ‘again’? This is the first time we’re going out. She simply asked a favor.” Jessica headed towards her bathroom and sprayed some perfume.

“Sure! That’s why you got her that unicorn and you talk to her every day after work!” Yuri said loud enough for Jessica to hear despite the distance. “That’s why you kidnapped her to go to that carnival and you even brought her to your parents’ house!”

“Whatever.” Jessica said as she got out of her bathroom. “It was a requirement for her class to bring someone along this picnic. And it needs to be someone who doesn’t attend SSA. So she asked me. It’s not a big deal since I’m off anyway.”

Yuri raised her brow, “And you agreed since you love waking up so early and you love the park, right?”

“Yes, I love waking up at eight in the morning to meet up with people at ten in the morning. People that I don’t know for that matter. I love it.” Jessica pretended to be enthusiastic; her hands clasped together near her face as she batted her eyes. 

Yuri ignored Jessica, and then fished her purse for something. Jessica watched her friend pull out a pink sweater for Popo. “No! My kid is not wearing another pink sweater! I’m seriously going to kill Tiffany.” She ran towards Yuri and grabbed the sweater.

“Yah!” Yuri called for Jessica’s attention. “Tiffany will kill me if I don’t have that on Popo.”

“Like I care.”

“I know you do. You’re scared of my girlfriend as much as I’m scared of her.” 

“Not even. I don’t need to get laid, unlike you. So no. No sweater!”

Yuri then looked at Jessica. Defeated, she took the sweater from Jessica and put it inside Popo’s pink and brown bag which contained doggy snacks, canine bowl, two bottles of water for pets, plastics, and her leash. Jessica took a peek of the bag and noticed there were other pink clothes. She made a mental note that she would be taking her kid shopping and buy some bad as$ outfit like a leather jacket and some boots. They really loved spoiling the dog, and treated her like she was human. Jessica walked back to her dresser and put on her watch and her earrings. “All set.”

“It’s gonna be in the bag. If Tiffany sees Popo without her clothes, we’ll be in trouble.”

She said as she read the text message from Taeyeon stating that the kid was on her way to the park, meeting Jessica and her classmates. “You’re gonna be in trouble.” Jessica walked towards Yuri and grabbed Popo and the bag. “I’ll pick you and Tiffany up later, okay?”

“For what?”

Jessica raised her brow, “You forgot Narsha invited us for dinner?”

“Oh, I remembered. Tiffany told me the other day... I think.”

Jessica shook her head, acting disappointed. “Narsha invited us yesterday, idiot. You forgot, huh?”

“I---I… I’ll try to be there. Just pick Tiffany up.”

“You’re so gonna be in trouble.”

“I just made an appointment with someone. Cover up for me, okay?”

Jessica headed for the door and Yuri followed. “So you want me to lie to my best friend?”

“No. I just want you to tell her that I told you to pick her up and that I’ll just catch up?” Yuri said in a suggestive tone.

“It’s not like you were the one who told me to pick her up. Why lie?” They were both heading down stairs of her loft. “But whatever, I’ll just tell her that you have something that came up and you’ll just try to catch up.”

“Thanks!” They both headed out of the house and Jessica headed straight to the elevator. 


*****


“Hello?” 

“Hi! I’m already in the parking lot. Where are you?” Jessica asked as she put on the leash on Popo.

“I think I see your car. Just look to your right. There are a lot of students, right?”

Jessica giggled, “Well, I see the students but I don’t know where you’re at.” She said as she glanced around the park with tons of young adults around. Some were obviously still in High School while others were about her age, and maybe older. Taeyeon had invited her to this picnic requiring other people to mingle, and try to interact with others. It was their school’s way of teaching students to deal with real adults. They even permitted taking pets to this picnic, which invited more pet lovers to the event.

“Are you driving the same car?”

“Nope. I’m driving a BMW. A blue one.” Jessica stepped out of the car with her phone still in hand on her ear. Looking for Taeyeon, she looked around the field that was in front of her. “I don’t see you. There are so many kids that I could hardly tell you’re in the crowd.”

“Are you wearing a white and blue top?”

“Yes. That’s me. Do you see me?” Jessica was nodding as if Taeyeon was just in front of her. Realizing that she what she was doing unconsciously, Jessica stopped and continued speaking, “I’ll meet you here, okay?”

“Okay. Bye.” Taeyeon hung up. Soon after, Taeyeon greeted Jessica, “Hey.” She said as she flashed a smile. “I’m really glad you made it.”

“You thought I’d ditch you?” 

Taeyeon frantically shook her head, “It’s not like that at all. I just really thought that you would be busy or something. It’s the first time I asked someone to come with me to something like this.”

“Relax.” Jessica smiled when she noticed Taeyeon panicking. “It’s fine. I’m off today so it’s your lucky day.”

“I guess it is.” Taeyeon answered with a soft smile. Jessica didn’t reply with words but returned a smile; she then opened her car door, revealing Popo. “Awww! Is it your dog?” 

Jessica nodded with a wider smile on her face. “She’s mine’s and Tiffany’s. She’s cute, isn’t she?” She asked like a proud mother that she and Tiffany are as she lifted her dog by her chest.

“She’s really cute.” Taeyeon reached to pet Popo.

“I know right?”

Taeyeon then led Jessica towards the crowd. Was it just Jessica assuming too much or was she and Popo standing out? It seemed like there were quite a few people looking at them. Jessica particularly remembered a girl named SoonKyu. She was narrowing her eyes on Jessica, gazing at her from head to toe. To Jessica, it seemed like SoonKyu was sizing her up.

“Hi Taeyeon!” Someone greeted, causing Jessica to take her eyes off SoonKyu and looked at the girl in front of them. She was a petite, gorgeous girl with long hair. She flashed a smile at Jessica and then spoke, “You must be Taeyeon’s friend?”

This was really high school, Jessica concluded. She smiled at the girl’s gesture, emphasizing that the blonde was a friend of Taeyeon.

“Yes. I’m her friend. My name’s Jessica.”

“My name’s IU.” She flashed a grin as she stretched her hand out and Jessica quickly shook it. “I’m one of the members of the Student Council and I’m also Taeyeon’s childhood friend.”

“Oh? Another student council member. It’s nice to meet you, IU.”

“Well, I’m sure all the members of the council would love to meet you since it’s the first time Taeyeon didn’t bring her bodyguard. We actually made her take someone who doesn’t work for her family here.”

Jessica nodded. Now, she finally understood why Taeyeon asked her. “I see.” She then faced Taeyeon with a smile on, “You can always invite me anytime.” Taeyeon simply gave Jessica an awkward smile. The blonde thought that Taeyeon was awfully shy today. “IU, what’s your position in the student council?” she asked to keep the conversation going.

“Oh. I’m Taeyeon’s secretary.” IU then pointed at a girl that was wearing purple. “Her name’s Yoona and she’s the Vice President.” Jessica nodded and then IU continued to point each one out. Jessica took note of those people since she might end up bumping into them that day. But one person caught Jessica’s attention when IU mentioned, “That over there is Sunny.” She pointed at SoonKyu.

“You mean SoonKyu?”

IU giggled. “If she hears you call her that, she’d really be mad and yell at you.”

“But Taeyeon calls her that.” Jessica looked at Taeyeon, “I mean, naturally, I’d know her by that name.”

IU then patted Taeyeon’s shoulder, “Sunny only lets Taeyeon call her her real name. Well, maybe because Sunny is in love with Taeyeon.” IU giggled. 

Jessica eyed Taeyeon; her eyes were asking for confirmation. Words were not spoken but her eyes told Taeyeon that the blonde needed to know the truth. Taeyeon then nodded and spoke, “She asked me out a couple of months ago, but I only see her as a friend.”

Jessica giggled, “You don’t have to tell me anything.” She said. But there was something about it that Jessica wanted to know. There was something about SoonKyu and Taeyeon’s relationship that she was curious of. It’s not like she would ask Taeyeon anything. Of course not. 

“Oh? I’m sure you’re jealous.” IU teased.

Trying to change the subject, Taeyeon then spoke to IU and said, “Did you know that the person you’re talking to is actually…” Taeyeon trailed her words, adding suspense to her news.

“Is actually?” IU pressed her lips to think, “A model?”

“No.”

“Is actually a che---.” Jessica tried to finish but Taeyeon beat her to it.

“Is actually Jung Sooyeon.”

IU’s eyes grew bigger, “You’re president Sooyeon?!”

Jessica closed her eyes; her shoulders dropped as she sighed. “Yes.”

“Why didn’t you say so, Taeyeon! I would’ve…”

“Would’ve?” Taeyeon and Jessica asked at the same time.

IU giggled, “I actually don’t know what I would’ve done… well, maybe act more formal around the former president.”

Jessica shook her head, “Please don’t. It’s fine. Just talk to me like you did earlier. It’s really fine.”

Needing confirmation, IU asked, “Are you sure?” 

Jessica nodded, “Of course.”

“Your dog is really cute. I’d touch her…” IU then began to eye the dog that was lazily lying on the grass. “But I’m actually… kinda scared of dogs.”

“You should really play with Popo, IU. She’s really a nice, cute dog, and she smells nice too.” Taeyeon tried to convince her friend.

IU shook her head and bid them goodbye, “I actually need to find my boyfriend. He’s out there somewhere mingling with other college guys.” She then faced Jessica and said, “It’s nice to meet you, Jessica. Please take care of Taeyeon, okay? A lot of people love her.”

“Ugh… sure?” Jessica didn’t know how to respond to that. She didn’t even know what IU meant to begin with. “Have fun with your boyfriend.”

Taeyeon then bent down and petted Popo. “You’re too cute. I want to take you home.”

Jessica chuckled, “Good luck dealing with Tiffany if you kidnapped our daughter.” Jessica then offered the leash’s handle. “But you can be the one walking her right now. Just make sure you don’t steal her from us.”

“Really?!” Taeyeon’s eyes lit with joy as she grabbed the leash from Jessica, and the blonde simply nodded in response.

Jessica noticed a couple of eyes on her. It was particularly SoonKyu and her friends that kept eyeing Jessica since the moment she got to the park. “I think SoonKyu’s really mad at me.”

Taeyeon followed Jessica’s gaze, catching the glare SoonKyu was sending to the blonde. “Don’t worry about her. She’s not really mad at you.”

“Huh? I think she’s mad because you invited me here.”

“Really? I doubt it.”

“If you say so.” Jessica shrugged.

Jessica then looked at the group of people, watching a game that was being hosted by Narsha. “There are games, too?”

“Well, yeah. Do you want to play? I’m more of an organizer so I can’t really play. But you can, I can ask someo---“

“I hate games.” Jessica said as she remembered how she always lost whenever she attempted to play any type of game. One proof for that was the day when they went to the carnival.

“Oh, okay.”

“We should just stay like this… you know, like usual. We’ll just talk.”Jessica flashed a smile. It had been more than a week since they started talking to each other and they found out that they somehow liked the same type of genre when it comes to music. Like what Jessica expected, Taeyeon wasn’t really the boring type. She was actually a very funny girl and the blonde liked that fact. 

“Oh! Sure, we should just talk. Since this is a picnic and all… I don’t know what to do if I brought a guest… but I… I got some sandwiches for you…” 

“You didn’t ask someone else to make it for you?” Jessica raised her brow.

The kid shook her head, “No. Not at all. I told you before, haven’t I? I can cook the basic.”

Jessica wanted to argue and tell the kid that making a sandwich wasn’t exactly cooking but she choose to remain silent. She might push her limits too much since she always teased the girl. 

“I want you to taste it.” Taeyeon started to mumble her words, “I mean, you’re a chef and all… and you have standards… actually, we should just go to the catering center.”

“I’d love to eat it.” Jessica said suavely.

The kid gave a shy smile and led Jessica to a booth that had random baskets, lunch boxes, and some coolers. The kid then grabbed a rattan basket that had a white and red cloth inside. The blonde grabbed the basket from Taeyeon as the kid was holding Popo’s leash. “There’s an area for eating right over there.” Taeyeon pointed at the tables. She then grabbed four huge bottles of apple juice, and headed towards where she pointed. She made sure that the blonde and her dog was following behind her. “Sit.” She invited as if she owned the table. Jessica tied Popo’s leash on a pole beside them designated for leashes, and then sat down.

The blonde watched Taeyeon set the sandwiches and two bottles on each one side. Taeyeon unwrapped one for Jessica and handed it to her; the blonde noticed it was wheat bread. It may be because the kid was somehow considering the calories white bread had, there was also shredded lettuce and tomatoes. “It’s nothing special, but I hope it’ll fill you up.”

Jessica flashed a smile and said, “It looks really delicious. Thank you for making it for me.”

Taeyeon lowered her head and Jessica figured it was due to shyness. Jessica then grabbed the sandwich from the girl and took a huge bite. Chewing, Jessica noticed an aroma that she hated. One of the aroma and food that she hated the most; among few others and it caused her to wince a little.

Taeyeon watched Jessica eat the food, eyes shining as she waited, anticipating for a reply. “So… how was it?”

Jessica tried her best to smile and said, “I love it.” She said after she tried her best to swallow her first bite of the sandwich. “I love tuna.”

“Oh. Good. I just followed what they usually put. Chopped lettuce, onions, tomatoes, mayo, tuna, and of course, relish.”

“Re-re-relish?” Jessica tried swallowing her saliva. “Pi-pickled relish?”

“Yes? Why? Is there a problem?” Taeyeon’s smile faded and was replaced by a frown.

Jessica shook her and took a huge bite of the poison in her hands. Jessica was allergic to a couple of things; one of those was actually pickles. “Yummm.” Jessica acted delighted. “Thank you very much.”

“I’m relieved.” Taeyeon smiled at Jessica.

“You should eat, too.” Jessica said as she felt starting to itch. “Do you have water?”

Taeyeon shook her head and gave Jessica a bottle of apple juice that was laid in front of the blonde, “Here. I’ll go grab water for you.”

“Thank you.” Jessica said as she quickly took the drink. Taeyeon got up from her seat and headed towards where they were earlier. Jessica knew that she didn’t have her allergy pills with her. She ran towards the closest trash bin and threw the tuna in there. It wasn’t like she didn’t appreciate Taeyeon’s sandwich, but it was a matter of life and death. The last time she accidentally ate pickles, she ended up in the hospital and the blonde didn’t want that.

The blonde headed back to the table and unwrapped the other sandwich to make sure it wasn’t tuna. And to her delight, it wasn’t. It was actually turkey and ham with smokey cheddar cheese. She took a peek of it by lifting the top part of the sandwich, examining if there were any unwanted things. Luckily, the sandwich was pickle and cucumber free. Jessica thought she was still somewhat lucky. If cucumber was served to her, she would end up in the hospital just by contact.

Jessica noticed that Popo was getting thirsty so she grabbed the bag that was on the bench and took the bowl and bottle of water out. She then placed it in front of Popo when she realized that SoonKyu was standing in front of her. “You’re a b!tch.” the kid said to Jessica. Her arms were crossed on her chest. 

“Your choice of words are interesting, SoonKyu.” Jessica said as she stood up, making it obvious that it wasn’t the time to be making conversations. The blonde’s throat was really itchy and her neck, back, and arms were beginning to itch, too.

SoonKyu rolled her eyes, “Sunny. Call me Sunny. B!tches like you do not have any rights to call me by my real name.”

“Oh? I should write a letter to the board and the principal, stating that their standards are to no comparison from before.” Jessica simply shook her head in disappointment, and suddenly, she started to cough. “I’ll make sure to write that letter, Sunny.”

“Why are you being like that to that midget?” Sunny raised her voice on Jessica, not caring if the blonde actually would write that letter.

Jessica coughed and pretended to massage her nape when it started to get itchier by the second. This wasn’t good for Jessica. She didn’t have her inhaler with her and her medicine was in her house. She knew drinking fluid was going to somehow subside the coughing and the itchiness she was feeling in . At least it would somehow make her feel less discomfort. She then nonchalantly walked towards the table and took the apple juice that Taeyeon gave her.

“That midget took the effort of making those sandwiches and you just threw it.”

Jessica coughed once more and took a quick sip of her juice to ease the itchiness she felt and to also hide her guilt from Sunny. She really appreciated the kid’s efforts but she couldn’t be idiotic enough to eat that poison in a bun. Jessica knew her limits and she knew that a bite or two wouldn’t cause that much harm, but a whole sandwich was another question. “It’s not what you think.”

“Oh?” Sunny took a step forward, angered by Jessica’s nonchalant behavior. “It’s not? I saw how you acted like you loved the sandwich and the moment the midget left, you simply threw it.”

“Like I said, it’s not what you think.”

“Stop pretending that you actually care about Taeyeon and just leave her. If you’re playing with her heart, find another kid to mess with. You e.”

“e?” Jessica raised her brow, but she couldn’t suppress her cough. She still kept her composure even though her whole body was beginning to itch and breathing got harder and harder each time.

“Yeah, you’re a e and also a wannabe biker. Oh, and my personal favorite, a b!tch.”

Peeved, Jessica then said, “I’m sure you’re just jealous that Taeyeon pays more attention to me.” With her whole body reacting to that stupid pickle, Jessica’s patience grew thinner and it didn’t help that Sunny was also pissing her off. 

“Ha! Funny. Taeyeon’s simply curious. She doesn’t know anything so she’ll just toss you to the side later.”

Jessica coughed once more, “Seems to me you just assume what she knows and doesn’t know. Actually, I don’t have time for this.”

“And you have time to flirt with that midget? You should just leave.” 

Jessica simply sat on the bench and ignored Sunny. Her breathing was being accompanied by wheezing sounds and she knew that by talking more, it would be much worse.

“Explain to me why you’re here and why you threw that sandwich.”

“I don’t need to explain anything to you.” The blonde then took another sip of apple juice. Jessica saw Taeyeon approaching with three others, and Sunny soon followed her gaze.

“Hi SoonKyu.” Taeyeon said with a smile.

“Hi Sunny.” IU and the other two greeted as they were finally close enough to Jessica and Sunny.

“Hi.” Sunny said and then eyed Jessica. The blonde met her gaze and she noticed that Sunny was glaring at her. She knew that somehow, Sunny wasn’t a bad person. Sunny approached her, trying to defend Taeyeon from, apparently, a b!tch. She would do the same if Yuri threw Tiffany’s cooking. She didn’t blame the girl, but how Sunny acted still peeved her; especially when her allergies were being a bother. She would’ve handled the situation better. “I need to go. It stinks here.” Sunny eyed Jessica down and then walked away without uttering another word.

The kid and her friends seemed to be used to Sunny’s behavior that they didn’t seem surprised at all. 

Jessica coughed a couple of times and so Taeyeon handed the water to Jessica. “Are you okay?” Jessica nodded and took a quick sip of the water. “Let me introduce my other friends to you. They insisted of meeting you.” TaeYeon then faced a tall girl with a small face. Even Jessica took notice of her beauty. She remembered that IU mentioned Yoona earlier when she was trying to introduce the students to her from a distance. “Yoona, this is my new friend, Jessica. Jessica, this is Yoona.” The blonde stood up and walked towards the girl and then shook her hand.

“Hello. It’s nice to meet you.” Yoona flashed a smile that could melt anyone’s heart. “I’ve known Taeyeon for so long and it’s really a surprise that she’s brought someone to this event.”

“No! Not even.” Taeyeon countered.

“Well, aside from the people employed by your parents, she’s the first.” Another tall girl with long hair said. She then faced Jessica and said, “My name’s SeoHyun.”

“Hello.” Jessica flashed a smile and tried her best to not cough in front of the girls by breathing as little as possible.

“We’ve met earlier.” The shorter girl said.

Jessica nodded, “I remember you, IU.”

“You’re turning red.” SeoHyun looked at Jessica with concern. “Are you okay?”

Jessica nodded, “It’s just hot.” She fanned herself with her hands.

“It truly is.” IU sighed. “And my boyfriend’s playing basketball with the others over there.”

They all chuckled except for Jessica. It seemed like it was an inside joke so the blonde didn’t bother asking. 

“Are you sure you’re okay? I think even your arms are getting red.” Taeyeon asked Jessica as she eyed the hives that were slowly forming on Jessica’s arms and hands.

Jessica raised her hands a little to have a better view of them. “Oh, I’m usually like this if it’s h—hot.” It separated by her cough.

“Unnie,” Yoona eyed Taeyeon, “you shouldn’t leave hickeys on Jessica unnie’s neck.” With Yoona’s words, Jessica’s hands automatically covered her entire neck. Was her condition that bad? Why didn’t she just take her medicine with her like she usually did before? She was getting more and more upset over the matter.

“Yoona!” Taeyeon bellowed. “I did no such thing.”

“Right…” Yoona trailed her reply.

“Unnie,” Seohyun called for Taeyeon’s attention. “We’ll leave you two alone. Just don’t do anything out in the open.” She said and pulled IU and Yoona along with her. 

IU pouted, “But I wanna talk to Jessica and Taeyeon.” She mumbled as she was being dragged by Seohyun and Yoona.

Taeyeon looked at Jessica with a frown, “Are you sure you’re alright?” Jessica coughed multiple times. She couldn’t suppress those annoying coughs anymore. “Maybe you should go. You really don’t look well.”

“It’s just really hot. I’m not used to it.”

“You’re just saying that. Let’s head to your car.” Taeyeon grabbed Popo’s bag and placed the bottle of water inside. “You should rest. You don’t look well.” 

“Okay.” Jessica voice was weak; it came out like a mere whisper.

“Good. Let’s g---“ Taeyeon forgot her line of thought when she watched the blond faint in front of her. “J---Je---Jessica!”