Running on Empty - Ricsyung

Shinhwa Drabbles and One-Shots collection

 

 

A/N : This story based of the "Running on empty" manhwa. I just think the character are really similar with them, so I made this. I do not have this story and I just change it a bit here and there because I was bored. Btw, Eric age is 25 here and Hyesung's is 17.

 

 

 


 

 

Eric is a suspected murder. Hyesung is a hostage. Literally, Hyesung is an accidentally hostage because he was sat pitying his luck on the 'wrong' rooftop. His usual rooftop already claimed by other couple that did nasty things which Hyesung doesn’t want to remember. There he met Eric that made him a hostage when some officers cornered him. Actually Hyesung planned to end his life today on that rooftop so it doesn't make any different. Die is something that he longing. He wanted it so much. But he doesn’t want to feel the pain. He always wants someone shoot him straight to the heart like people kill his family so that he can’t feel the pain and free from his ed life. That’s why when Eric found him and made him a hostage he felt so happy. He thought he would die soon and so he’ll accept whatever Eric did to him.

On the other hand, Eric doesn’t have any intention to make Hyesung a hostage. He just wants to escape from the police who got him on his hiding place. He is innocent. He never kills people although he is a member of gang. Someone must be betrayed him and make him a suspect so that he won’t quit the gang and continue doing a dirty things.

Now they’re sit on the car for 4 hours and going to god-know-where. Suddenly Eric stopped the car to the motel and booked one biggest room to stay. Hyesung just followed him to the room and laid himself on the sofa. 
“What are you doing kid? Sleep on the bed!” Eric shouted to Hyesung as wearing his black leather jacket and tied his long hair. Hyesung stood up and went up to the bed, still wearing uniform.
“Where are you going?” Hyesung asked to Eric who made his step to the doorway.
“It’s not your business” Eric replied. Hyesung rolled his eyes and sleep.
 

***


Hyesung woke up and found Eric sleep on the floor. He stood up and approached him. He sat beside Eric’s body and watched his face.

 

He is quite handsome He thought as smiling.

 

Hyesung watching Eric’s facial feature for a few minutes then realizes something wrong with Eric’s face. It looks like he is in pain. Hyesung poked him. There is no sign from Eric. He poked him again and again and again still no reaction.

 

No, He can’t die now. He can’t die before he kills me.

 

Hyesung getting worried and put his finger on Eric’s nostril. He can’t feel the heat come out from his nose. Being a smartest student in his school he tried to give Eric some CPR. Hyesung place his hand on Eric’s chest and compress the chest like 30 times. Hyesung sighed then he pinched Eric’s nose and opened Eric’s mouth with his other hand. He took a deep breath and blows it to Eric’s mouth. Still no reaction. Hyesung did it again and again.


“You can stop now” a sound comes between their mouth and Hyesung opened his eyes.
“Are you alright?” Hyesung asked worriedly as looking to Eric’s eyes.
“Yeah, can you move now? You’re heavy” Eric pushed Hyesung’s body and Hyesung sat beside Eric’s body.
“Why did you stop breathing all of sudden?” Hyesung asked as wiped his lips.
“You don’t need to know” Eric answered while massaged his forehead

“It looked like you were having a nightmare. Do you get them often?” Hyesung keep asked.

“I said you don’t need to know!” Eric snapped then stood up.
“Where are you going?” Hyesung asked again.
“It was a great chance to run. Why didn’t you run?” Eric asked back as grabbed a towel from the wardrobe.
“I was lazy and I think I’ll just wait you to kill me” Hyesung replied then crossed his legs.
“You think I’ll kill you?” Eric turned his head and looked at Hyesung.
“I am. Well, can you make it as painless as possible when you kill me?” Hyesung asked as winked his eye. Eric rolled his eyes and took a cigarette from his jeans.
“Shouldn’t you thank me? I did save your life just now…
You know, it took a lot of courage. I still haven’t my first kiss yet” Hyesung glared Eric 
“Giving mouth-to-mouth isn’t the same as a kiss” Eric replied then go to the bathroom.
 

***


Eric looked himself on the mirror.


It’s embarrassing…
That’s why I shouldn’t sleep when I’m stressed out 


Then Eric took a scissor from his jeans and cut his long hair and shaved

Hyesung the TV since he was bored. He kept change the channel and end up watching a boring drama. Hyesung inhale the cigarette that he found on the wardrobe. When he exhales the smoke, a figure snatched his cigarette and turned off the TV.

“Is this your home? You forget you’re a hostage?”
“What the he- WHO ARE YOU?!?!” Hyesung shouted. His moon-shaped eyes widen as pointed to a boy who snatched his cigarette.
“Who am I? The person who kidnapped you?” Eric answered as inhale the cigarette he snatched from Hyesung.
“I thought you were an entirely different person” Hyesung looked Eric in amazement.
“That’s good if you think so. The police will search for me again and I have to disguise myself” Eric smiled a little.
“Whoa~ you look 10 years younger” Hyesung compliment Eric’s look.
“Take off your uniform and put that on” Eric ignore hyesung’s word and tossed a cloth to Hyesung.
“Do you expect me wearing that ugly flower shirt? Hell no!” Hyesung tossed back to Eric.
“Change it now or I’ll change it to you” Eric tossed back to Hyesung.

“Try me!” Hyesung challenged.

“Well…” Eric come closer.
“Alright alright” Hyesung abruptly stood up and walked to the bathroom.
“it’s ugly” Hyesung whined as soon as he out from the bathroom
“Let’s go” Eric ignored Hyesung again and put his bag on.
“Go? Like this? I’M NOT GOING!”
“You want to die?”
“FINE JUST KILL ME NOW AND LEAVE BY YOURSELF”
“You brat… we’re going now and I’ll buy you a proper clothes later”
 

***


“WHOA~ IT LOOKS TASTY!” Hyesung shouted when ramyeon arrived in front of him.
“Just eat well” Eric said,
“I thought I would starve to death. It’s been so long since I eaten”
“Don’t exaggerate. You just didn’t eat last night” Eric rolled his eyes as twirl his ramyeon with chopstick.
“Correction, from yesterday morning” Hyesung said as sipped the soup.


They’re leaving the restaurant and Eric drive to the subway. They go to the locket and bought ticket back to Seoul.
“KTX? Are we leaving the car? But why you only buy one ticket?” Hyesung asked when Eric gave him a KTX ticket.
“Go back to your home” Eric said.
“Huh?” Hyesung raised his one brow.
“Go back, eat well, and live long” Eric said then left Hyesung behind.


Eric walked back to the parking lot and opened the car. Before he locks the car, Hyesung climbed in and close the door.
“GET OUT!” Eric yelled to Hyesung.
“no” Hyesung simply replied and smile.
“GO HOME!”
“I’m not going home”
“Don’t you know who am I? I’m a suspected murderer”
“Did you really kill someone?
It doesn’t matter if you really did or didn’t
I don’t care if you kill me
I’d rather die than go back home”
“If you don’t want to go home, find somewhere else to go!”
“There is nowhere I want to go. I don’t even have any money”
“I’m not in a situation where I can bring someone around”
“I’m a hostage, a hostage that won’t run away. I think it’s hard to find a hostage like me”
“Get out” Eric aimed his pocketknife to Hyesung’s neck
“no”
“Get out” Eric started to stick the knife on Hyesung’s neck
“no” Hyesung persistently replied. Eric sticks it little deeper to Hyesung’s neck. Blood started to running down from his neck. Hyesung smiled. Eric gave up. Eric sighed then started the engine.
Hyesung smirked again and take some tissue from the dashboard. He wiped his blood that still running out with the tissue.
Hyesung hummed a happy song. Eric looked at him. Hyesung surely has amazing voice. If he tried he can become a singer. Eric scanned the boy beside him and stopped at Hyesung’s wound. It looked deep. Eric stopped the car. 
“Why are we stopping?” Hyesung asked. Eric reached Hyesung’s wound and touched it.
“What are you doing?” Hyesung looked confusedly.
“Stay still” Eric said and reached his bag on the back seat. He took out a plaster and put it on Hyesung’s wound.
“Did it hurt?” Eric asked. Hyesung smiled and shook his head.
“I’m hungry”
 

***


“Ramyeon again?” Hyesung asked when Eric brought two bowls.
“no it’s jajangmyeon” Eric replied quickly and sit beside Hyesung on the grass.
“Do you have any plan after this ended, hyung?” Hyesung suddenly asked to Eric.
“Hyung?” Eric raised his thick brow.
“Should I call you ahjussi instead?” Hyesung teased Eric as kept chewing the jajangmyeon.
“… Just call me hyung” Eric replied quickly
“well?” Hyesung still wait the answer from Eric. Eric kept silent and tears streaming down onto his cheek.
“I don’t know. I don’t know what I want, what should I do, or what can I do…” Eric wiped his tears and stood up.
“You’re crying? At that age?” Hyesung teased Eric as wiped Eric’s tears.

“I’ve been living a ty life” Eric said as removed Hyesung’s hand from his face.
“So do I. Want to die together?” Hyesung asked.
“If you want to die, die alone” Eric placed the cigarette between his lips and light it.
“You still want to live?” Hyesung asked in disbelief at Eric’s answer.
“I’m going to live as long as I can” Eric answered as exhaled the smoke in front of Hyesung face.
“Yeah sure… Live well~” Hyesung rolled his eyes and smirked.
“You… You’re really annoying!” Eric shouted.

 

***


They’re already at another place and another motel. They stay at cheap motel. Now they took a nap on the floor side to side. 


It’s raining hard outside, Hyesung afraid of thunder since he was child. He hates that loud voice rumbling on his ear and light that blinding his eyes. Hyesung opened his eyes straight when he heard thunder. He looked around and he found Eric peacefully sleep beside him. Hyesung trembling hard and hold his urge to hug Eric. He’s really afraid. Suddenly, the thunder rumbled again. Without thinking, Hyesung hug Eric tightly and sobbed. 


“What the-” Eric woke up because of the height on his back. Hyesung heard it and rolled his body away from Eric and closed his two ears with his palm. Eric sat up and shook his head. He stood up. Take a blanket on wardrobe. Then wrapped it around Hyesung.

Eric walked to the windows and see the town poured by rain. It doesn’t look it’ll stop any time soon. The thunder rumbled again and Hyesung’s sobbed harder. Eric turned his head and approached Hyesung.
“Crying?” Eric asked. All he can hear just sob from Hyesung.
“And you complained me about crying…“Eric said as sit behind Hyesung’s body.
“Would you just shut up!” Hyesung shouted and suddenly stood up and took his red sweater.
“Where are you going? It’s raining” Eric asked.
“I’m not going anywhere!” Hyesung answered as walked out to the doorway.

Hyesung walked in the rain. He likes walking in the rain. Rain makes him feel peaceful and blessed. But he still hates thunder. He looked around and found some same paper on the wall. Curious, he approached it. Wanted sign. Hyesung smirked.
“Ooh, his name is Moon Eric.. Moon Eric.
Good looking? Are people who made this stupid?
10 million won reward? Tsk, If I report him, I’ll get rich” Hyesung laughed hard then walked back to the motel.

“HEY MOON ERIC!” Hyesung shouted made Eric stood up directly and reached his pocket knife with ready-to-fight pose. Hyesung burst out laugh.
“My name… Ho- How do you know?” Eric eyes widen and Hyesung smirked.
“Guess how much your reward is?” Hyesung asked as tried to found another clean t-shirt that Eric bought for him.
“Is it posted already?” Eric asked and Hyesung nodded. After changed his clothes, Hyesung walked toward Eric and looked at him carefully while holding his chin.
“Good looking? Hmm…” Hyesung closed his face to Eric’s and examined it.
“Well, now I can see it at you. It seems true.” Hyesung smiled and nodded his head.
“What are you blabbing about?!” Eric pushed Hyesung head with his big palm.
“It’s Shin Hyesung” Hyesung said.
“huh?” Eric looked at Hyesung confusedly.
“My name
Remember me and call me when you need me” Hyesung answer made Eric rolled his eyes.
“How long are you planning to follow me around?” Eric asked as fold his pocketknife.
“Until I die?” Hyesung answered as crossed his arm.
“Then when are you going to die?”
“When you free from those charges? Wouldn’t it be difficult if I die while I’m with you?”
“Excuses...”
“Excuses?”
“Is dying a joke to you? Something cool to do?
Your empty word about ‘want to die’ is annoying. You don’t even have the courage to kill yourself”
“What do you know about me, Moon Eric?
Just because I laugh, I smile; Do I look like a fool to you?
Do you know what kind of thought I have just to breath everyday?
Do you know why- why I cried?
Trully…
I want to cry everyday, but since I’m a guy, it’s humiliating…
So I cry in my heart… Everyday, again and again…
Until those days become too much to bear, so that I keep thinking that it’s better to die” Hyesung started to cry and curled himself. Eric sighed then approached and sat in front of Hyesung.
“I’m sorry” Eric said as Hyesung’s hair. Eric come closer than hugged Hyesung tight and let him cry on his board chest.

 

***


I can’t stay with him
he’ll got into trouble if he keeps follows me around

Eric thought then he went out from the motel and left some money for Hyesung.

Hyesung woke up and found no one I the room. He checked bathroom and still found no one. He walked out to the parking lot. Can’t found Eric’s car.

Did he leave with the car?
Since we’re running, I can’t use my cell phone
I wonder why his car isn’t tracked. Is it a jacked car?


Hyesung checked money left on his jeans. He walked to the books store to buy a comic then eat some lunch and after that he walked back to the motel. Still Eric hasn’t back and it’s getting late. Hyesung re-read his comic .He still doesn’t know that Eric left him some money on the table.
Hyesung looked at the clock. It said 01.45 AM. Hyesung sighed then closed his eyes.

Did he leave?
It’s fine
I’m already a dead person
Since I’m already dead it’s fine
No matter what happens to me, It doesn’t matter


Hyesung’s stomach growling

I’m hungry…
If I don’t eat anything,
How long it take me to die?


Eric drive slowly; he can’t help to think about Hyesung. He worries Hyesung does something stupid instead of going home.

I wonder how he’s doing…
Why did he try to kill himself that day?
Could he be waiting for me now?

What’s wrong with me…
Why I can’t get him out of my mind?
Have we become close?
Getting close means more work for me

Snap out of it!
Even if we’re running together.
Even if he smiles at me everyday, we aren’t friend or anything.
We can’t be more.

Will he think that I’ve abandoned him?
What will he think?
I’m going crazy…
Don’t think about him.
Forget about him!
Just forget about him!

But while we were together…
It was nice…
The fact that there was someone who’d smile at me…

But now I need to go alone…



“4:44!” Hyesung looked to the clock.
“The clock is giving me the sign to die
Alright, fine.“ Hyesung smiled and reach his plastic bag. He took out the cutter and started to slit his palm slowly with it. Blood is coming out from his palm and streaming on his wrist. Hyesung smiled again.
“What a pretty color” Hyesung looked at his palm. Then he rubbed his eyes. He felt so sleepy then he sleeps with blood still running out.
 

***
 

Eric gave up and go back to the motel next morning.


Will he be mad about why I’ve been gone?
No.. He’s not the type to get angry
But..
He must be feeling betrayed after being left alone without any word…
He must be mad.
Damn… it’s not that I did something really bad.
Why am I so nervous?
Just pretend that nothing happen


Eric courage himself to opens the door. When he walked in, he didn’t expect to found Hyesung lying covered with blood. Eric sat down and tried to wake Hyesung up.
“He- Hey!
Hyesung wake up! Open your eyes!” Eric tears stated to streaming down.
“Are you playing with me…
You said that you wouldn’t die on me until I’ve been proven innocent…” Eric started to sobbed.
“But…
What is this?” Eric crying as lift Hyesung hand that covered with blood.
“I came back Hyesung…
I came back…
I haven’t been proven innocent yet…” Eric cried harder.
“If you die like this…
What am I supposed to do?” Eric wrapped his two hands on Hyesung’s body. Hugged him.
“Don’t start to dig my grave. I’m not dead yet” a familiar voice said and wiped Eric’s tears. Eric opened his eyes and found Hyesung grinning.
“Y- You bastard…” Eric let go of Hyesung’s hand and hugged him tightly.
“You’re pathetic hyung” Hyesung whispered and hugged Eric back.
“When I fist met you, I thought you were scary, but as I’ve come to know you more and more. You’re so pitiful that I want to stay by your side” Hyesung said.
“But... I didn’t realize that I was becoming a burden… I thought about it while you were gone.
If you thought that you’re better off leaving me behind. I’d just go off and finished what I was going to do before I met you.
But what a failure… as you can see I couldn’t slit my wrist deeper” Hyesung added and smiled.
“Crazy bastard…
How could you smile like that while soaked in blood?” Eric said between his sobbed.
“Eric hyung, to be honest I was really scared…” Hyesung started to cry.
“Please… Please don’t leave me alone again” Hyesung said and Eric nodded.
 

***


That day Eric and Hyesung checked out from that motel and go to somewhere else again. 
“Go use the restroom. I’m going to get some hot coffee. Do you want anything else?” Eric stopped at petrol station.
“I want I want!! Buy me some toast as well okay!” Hyesung answered happily and got out from the car.
After finished his business, Hyesung wash his hand and looked at the mirror. He smiled. No wonder girls and boys are lined up to become his girlfriend or boyfriend. His life won’t be like this if that people not killing his beloved family. Suddenly he felt someone beside him looked at him and smirked. He glanced up, He felt like seen that guy before. 
“Your hair’s grown longer” the guy said and Hyesung just remembered that that guy is Eric’s partner that betray him on the rooftop. Hyesung turned back and tried to run away but he’s not faster that that guy. That guy pushed Hyesung to the cubicle and beat Hyesung up. Hyesung tried to fight back but he’s not strong enough.
“What did you do to make him fall for you, huh?” That gray hair man asked and closed Hyesung’s mouth and pulled Hyesung’s hair with his hand.
“You have pretty cute face just like idols on the TV. Look at your soft skin…
You’ll attract a lot of costumer if I turned you over a host bar… no… a gay bar would be better
Well, do you develop some feeling for Eric hyung?
Tsk… I bet you have a lot of fun with Eric hyung while I’ve been running my feet off looking out for you guys.
I didn’t know Eric hyung is gay. How far you gone with him?
Slept with him? ?” After that the gray haired guy punched Hyesung’s stomach and beat him up again.

Why he isn’t coming back
The coffee and toast getting cold
Is he taking a dump?


Eric got out from the car and going to the restroom. Before he reached he found Kaehoon dragged Hyesung out of the cubicle. Eric’s eyes widen.
“Long time no see, hyung-nim!
You’ve become cuter since I’ve last seen you” Kaehoon smirked.
“Kaehoon you bastard..”
“But that look doesn’t really suit you. Longer hair and beard looks better on you. Playing with kids has turned you into a kid, huh?”
“What are you talking about? Stop talking nonsense and get into the point!”
“I thought I’d more secure after seeing you being locked in the jail. But who’d have thought you’d be run like that? To run away with a little guy like him and have fun?” Kaehoon aimed his pocketknife on Hyesung’s neck.
“DON’T TOUCH HIM!” Eric shouted
“YOU DON’T MOVE! Or do you want to see me slice open his neck” Kaehoon shouted back but Eric ignored him and keep walking.
“I guess it can’t be helped. I just have to send you both off together” Kaehoon released Hyesung and tried to kill Eric with his knife. Unfortunately the knife successfully stabbed Eric and Eric stepped back to the sink.
“Where do want to go hyung-nim?” Kaehoon smirked
“I’m not going anywhere Kaehoon-ah, have you tried this?” Eric splashed a bottle of soap to Kaehoon eyes.
“ACK! MY EYES! WHAT DID YOU THROW AT ME?” Kehoon shouted. Eric ignored him and lifted Hyesung bridal style to the car with bloody wound on his stomach.

Hyesung opened his eyes slowly. He heard someone groaned. He sat up and found Eric bare chest with bandage on his stomach.
“You’re awake? That’s good” Eric smile widely. Hyesung never see Eric smiled like this.
“What’s the matter? Did you get hurt?” Hyesung run to Eric and sat on Eric’s bed.
“I was stabbed…”
“STABBED? BY THAT BASTARD?” Hyesung asked and touched Eric’s wound gently.
“Don’t worry; I’ve stopped the bleeding. It’s not that deep. How about you?”
“Why are you worrying about me at the time like this?! Let’s go to the hospital!”
“I can’t Hyesungie… There is probably wanted poster all over the place”
“Who cares about the police! You-”
“You.. Hyesung.. You should leave now”
“WHAT?”
“I can’t travel with you any longer. It’s too dangerous for you and me”
“What are you talking about? There is no way I would leave you like this!”
“argh..” Eric groaned again
“A- are you alright hyung?” Hyesung asked worriedly.
“I- I’m fine. Yes fine”
“What do you mean by fine? You’re body is burning up! Wait a second” Hyesung run to the wardrobe and wetted it with water.
“Does it hurt hyung?” Hyesung put the cold towel on Eric’s forehead, body, everywhere. 

He’s burning up even after cooling him off with a cold towel
what should I do?
01:30 AM…
There is no pharmacy open…
It can’t be helped.


Hyesung removed his t-shirt and jeans. Walked to the shower and the cold tap. Wetted himself in the midnight of winter. Hyesung shivered but he can’t let Eric suffered like that. He walked out off the shower without dry and climbed up on Eric’s bed. Hyesung hugged a burned Eric tight with his wet body.
“How do you feel Eric hyung?” Hyesung asked
“ummm… Cool… good…” Eric mumbled and circled his hand on Hyesung body. Hyesung smiled.

ah, but he’s heating up again

Hyesung go back to the bathroom and cooled his body again. He came out and hugged Eric’s again.
“Hyung… Listen to me… Please don’t die” Hyesung whispered but got no answer from Eric.
“Hyung! Wake up!” Hyesung getting worries and hugged Eric tight.
“Don’t worry Hyesungie.. I’m not going to die… I just want to sleep” Eric grabbed Hyesung’s hand.

His body heating up again
I can see scar anywhere


Hyesung walked to the bathroom again. While wetted himself as he keep sneezed.

At this rate, I’ll end up dying before him

Hyesung walked out off the shower and trembled walked to Eric’s bed. Before laid himself on the bed, Hyesung put his hand in front of Eric’s nostril.

He’s not breathing again!
It’s fine Hyesung…
It’ll be fine since you have meet this situation before… 


Hyesung gave Eric CPR

this happened before so I’m not too freaking out.
You can’t die now Hyung…


Ahh.. Thanks god he still alive…
He still alive


Without him realizing he’s crying and hugged Eric’s body again to cooling him down. Hyesung end up sleep on Eric’s arm that night.
 

***


Eric woke up and found Hyesung sleep in his arm. Eric smiled.

My fever is gone thanks to him
But why…
Does my heart feel so warm?
I can’t let this continue
Goodbye Hyesung 


Eric get up and get dressed before leaving the motel.


Hyesung opened his eyes and smiled.

He’s leaving me again

Hyesung looked at the other bed and found a bag filled with his clothes that Eric bought for him. He opened the bag and found a letter.

Stay alive
I hope that we’ll meet again later someday


 

***


Hyesung back to his old life. Being a student and tried his best to live his life happily. He still believes that he and Eric would meet again. After school, he never absent to go to the rooftop where he met Eric for the first time. He always waiting Eric there although he doesn’t even know Eric still remembers him or not. Hyesung surprised when he found the one he longing so much sat on the edge of the wall. Hyesung rubbed his eyes over and over again.
“What are you doing Hyesung?” Eric smiled as showed his dimple.
“Hyung? Ho- How? You’re still alive?” Hyesung asked in disbelief.
“The police caught the real culprit and I’m free” Eric come down and walked to hyesung.
“Really that’s good” hyesung smile brightly
“I can see you live your life well” Eric ruffled Hyesung’s hair.
“Hyung… I miss you so much” Hyesung said and bowed his face blushed hard.
“I miss you too Hyesungie” Eric lift up Hyesung face and kiss him full on the lips. Hyesung smiled and kissed Eric back.
“Are you busy today?” Eric asked when he pulled out of the kiss.
“Not really” Hyesung answered 
“Want to go somewhere again?” Eric asked and Hyesung nodded enthusiastically.