OO3 | Staying for Dinner

Inheritance / HIATUS.

“Uncle Jello,” I flipped over.

“Wake up,” the all too familiar voice persisted.

                Efforts of ignoring the persistent voice were wasted, though, as a large amount of weight landed on top of me, knocking my breath into the pillow my face was buried in.

“Why are you up so early?” the said boy looked up, eyebrows furrowed in my reluctance to wake up.

“Am I going back to see Uncle Guk today?” he asked, eyes hopeful.

What the hell?

                Reminding myself to asked Yongguk about this nickname later, I picked Ji Woon up, pushing myself up with him. The boy still looking hopefully at me, eyes also still full of hope, I nodded my head as an answer. Immediately, a pair of hands flew in the air, nearly knocking me out in the process, and he began planning his day with the babysitter.

“Stop celebrating and get ready,” I said, a plan coming to my head right as the words left my lips.

                After the same routine we went through the last two weeks, we both ate breakfast, cereal of course, and walked out the door. Though it’s a bit embarrassing to say, every time Ji Woon took hold of my hand while crossing the street, I felt superior; to Yongguk, that is. He seemed to have already gotten my nephew attached to him, though it took me a few days. Maybe it was because the man had a motherly side that I hadn’t seen, but I was sure to see it one day.

“Bye Uncle Jello,” I heard Ji Woon call once again as I got on my skateboard.

                I waved back to him, for the nth time this morning, and proceeded to school, still not as early as before, but definitely earlier than the previous day. As I picked my skateboard up, I noticed that Jongup wasn’t in our usual group.

“Where’s Jongup?” I asked Daehyun, he had failed a grade or two to end up in mine, but him and I were still close friends.

“He got sick,” he replied curtly.

                Daehyun was never one to talk much, but once he got around Yoo Youngjae, the last member in our group, he got violent as hell. Don’t get me wrong, the two were better friends than they were with me, but Daehyun got violent when teased, and Youngjae seemed to do it a lot.

                Without Jongup at school, the day went by painfully slow, seeing as I had no other friends in my classes who actually bothered to talk to me. My mind began to wonder to Ji Woon and Yongguk during my last class. I had texted Yongguk saying I would be a little bit late, and I right after school ended, I rushed out of my class and outside. While skating towards town, a kid’s store came into my peripheral vision, causing me to make a potentially illegal U-turn. A few people on bicycles yelling, I got off my skateboard, apparently they aren’t allowed in stores, and walked straight inside and to my target.

We’ll make sure he favors me.

                I checked out my toy, and then proceeded to leaving the store on foot. Since I had a nice-sized bag in my hand, I’d end up injuring myself by skating to Yongguk’s house. Making it there about fifteen minutes later, though, I began to have second guesses. It was after all, just a toy, and Ji Woon obviously was fonder of me.

Oh well, we’ll just make sure Yongguk knows his place.

                Holding my head up in triumph, I rang the doorbell. Just how in hell I didn’t notice a nice car parked in front of the house, though, was beyond me as the door opened and I came face-to-face with a slightly shorter man.

                Slightly confused as to if I came to the right house, I began to observe my surrounding before observing the man. He had a slightly rat resembled face, and dark hair. Looking down, I noticed he was also quite thin and wore nice clothing. Though, as I looked back up to his face, I noticed that he wore a confused expression.

“I’m Junhong, here for Ji Woon,” I stated, though it sounded as if I was questioning my identity.

                The man’s lips formed into an ‘O’, and for a short second I believed that maybe he was a silent type like Daehyun, but then he abruptly turned around and shouted into the air:

“Yah, Yongguk, the kid you’ve been talking about is here!”

                An immense feeling of second hand embarrassment washed over me.

Talking about me?

                Slightly registering my bag drop beside me, I walked inside when welcomed by the dark-haired stranger. As I sat down on the couch beside a wide awake Ji Woon, who was watching a cartoon excitedly, an equally wide-awake Yongguk came from inside the kitchen.

“Kim Himchan!” he yelled, waving a floury spatula around.

                Said man turned his head carelessly, an unfazed look shown on his face. Now being able to match a name to a face, I made note to stay careful of this man as he approached me. About to scoot over on the couch to keep a distance, I swear my eyes tripled in size when he lunged towards me, yelling something about how Yongguk should’ve told him how adorable I was.

“Yah,” Yongguk said, spatula now at ease. “You’re fawning over the wrong kid.”

                Sending a pair of daggers over to Yongguk quickly, I began to try to pick the man off of me. Though he was quite persistent, I managed to get him on the cushion next to me with Yongguk’s reluctant help.

“Uncle Jello,” a voice called to my attention. “What’s that over there?”

                All of us looking over to door, I instantly noticed the present I got him.

“Ah,” I muttered as I got up, 3 pair of eyes following me. “I got this for you, Woonie!”

                Ji Woon immediately shot off the couch and to the decorated bag, eyeing it with excitement. However, once I saw a small hand shoot up to see what was inside, I slapped it away gently.

“I’ll let you have it when we go home,” I said, planning to go home as soon as possible.

“Yah,” I heard behind me. “I made dinner since you said you’d be late, so you might as well stay.”

                I began to weigh out the pros and cons of staying for dinner, finding the only cons to be staying around Himchan, don’t get me wrong, he’s nice, and giving Ji Woon the present later. I sighed, knowing I’d only end up getting me and my nephew a burger otherwise.

“I’ll stay,” I agreed, settling down on the couch with Ji Woon.

                I didn’t exactly bother telling them that I’ll only be staying for dinner, they already knew that by the look I gave them while eating. The food was good, Yongguk was a better cook than my mother, though that didn’t say anything.

                I finished eating before both of the older men, but Ji Woon had barely finished anything. As a result, I ended up having to stay longer, and the thing that pissed me off more is that I could see the look of satisfaction in Yongguk’s eyes every time I tried to convince him to eat and he refused. After Yongguk finished, though, he pushed me to the side lightly, signaling for me to go watch TV, which I did, reluctantly.

You just wait until I show him that present, Bang Yongguk.

                Yongguk had finished feeding Ji Woon, though he still didn’t eat all of it, when I decided to ask him just how the hell he tamed such a wild child. I walked up to him as he was washing the dishes, asking if he needed help, and then proceeding to asking him while Himchan occupied my nephew.

“How did you get Ji Woon to like you so much?” I asked as I grabbed a pair of washing gloves.

“It’s simple, you know,” he hummed, for once not cockily. “You just have to play with him, get on a child’s level.”

                The image of Yongguk getting on a ‘child’s level’ was not able to be seen by me. Such a nice looking man, grown on that matter, playing with a six year old better than a teenager made me feel a bit insecure.

“You should come over one day and watch,” he suggested, watching me from the corner of his eye.

                As I was about to agree, my cheeks a subtle pink, an annoyingly familiar voice came from the living room couch.

“Yah, Jeun Ji Woon,” it paused, a crash echoing painfully throughout the house. “Zelo told you not to open that!”


A/N:  Thanks everyone for the subs and comments, you're all so wonderful omfg. ;u;