Chapter 16

Bestfriend

(Narrator's POV)

 

“Here, oppa!”, Tia gave Minwoo the tissue when Minwoo was looking for it. Tia smiled in victory.

“Thank you, but I can take it myself”, Minwoo said. Now, It’s your turn to smile in victory.

Sungjae shook his head while smiling. “Oh! It’s one hour already, you have an appointment with Mrs. Kwon right?”, he asked you.

“Oh! Right, I guess I’ll go first”, you said and opened your purse to pay.

“I’ll buy you lunch, remember?”, Sungjae said.

“Oh..hehe”, you smiled sheepishly. “Thank you, oppa!”.

“Bye, apple”, he ruffled your head.

“See you at home”, Minwoo shouted.

You turned in confused, but you’re in hurry so you just put your thumb up.

“See you at home?”, Tia furrowed her eyebrows to Minwoo.

“Hmm, what? Her home is my home though, my home too for her”, Minwoo shrugged.

“And...apple?”, Tia asked Sungjae. Minwoo also turned his head to Sungjae.

“What?”, Sungjae looked at Minwoo and Tia. “Her cheeks looked like apples when she smiles. It’s round and the colour is pinkish. Like apples”.

Tia rolled her eyes, while Minwoo lost in his though. Apple........he already has a nickname for her? While me..

“Minwoo, let’s go now, you have to accompany me to buy a new ball for the club”, Sungjae said.

“What...?”, Minwoo said confused.

“You promised me, remember?”, Sungjae gave a Minwoo a look.

“Did I..?”, Minwoo said, then Sungjae pinched Minwoo’s arm lightly. “Ah! Yes! I remember now”.

“Let’s go!”, Sungjae said.

“Oppa! What about me?”, Tia said.

“Oh....sorry Tia, I have to go”, Minwoo said. “And I’m sorry I can’t pay your food, my dad only gave me a little money for today”.

Tia turned to Sugjae.

“What? I already paid for Nami, and I have to buy a new ball”, Sungjae said.

“Fine”, Tia said.

 

**

 

“Thank you for driving me home, hyung”, Minwoo said to Sungjae.

“No problem”, Sungjae said.

Minwoo walked down the street to your house. He didn’t tell Sungjae to drove him to your house. Somehow, he doesn’t want Sungjae to knows everything about you and him. Jealous? He didn’t know but he don’t want to think about it right now. All he wanted to do is talk to you.

You opened your front door without hesitation knowing it was Minwoo. You let him in, and you led him to your backyard.

“Coke, juice, milk, or anything?”, you asked.

“Just mineral water, thanks”, he smiled and you nodded.

You came back after a few minutes and gave him the water.

“Where are the stars?”, Minwoo said.

You looked at him then you looked up to the sky, you smiled.

“They are hiding. Knowing that the person who doesn’t like stars would look up to the sky this evening”, you said and Minwoo chuckled.

“You can call me strange all you want, but I still don’t like them”, Minwoo drank his water.

“They’re showed up to accompany you when you’re alone, to entertain you when you were sad. Basically, the stars are there when you’re either lonely or sad, when there are stars, at least one person in this world is feeling lonely or sad”, you smiled.

“Hey, I think that’s a good philosophy!”, Minwoo said.

“I always remember your strange excuse about stars, every single word of it”, you shook your head. “But don’t you think that stars will lighten up your night makes your night more beautiful?”.

“Yeah....but I automatically think that way whenever I see stars”, Minwoo said.

“So.....?”, you asked.

“Reasons why I asked you to meet me this evening....”, Minwoo said. “You like Sungjae hyung?”.

“No”, you said. “Maybe we’re getting closer, but  Sungjae and me, we both know that we won’t go through any relationship other than close friends”, you said.

“Why? But he likes you, a lot”, Minwoo said.

“I know. But feelings cannot be forced. I am comfortable with this stage with him now, and he knows it, he understand”, you said.

“It’s been a long time since we talk about things...”, Minwoo said.

“Yeah.....you’re the one who’s busy by the way”, you gave him a look. “With your revenge things or....things I don’t know anymore”.

“Let’s don’t talk about things like that”, Minwoo said. “So hows your song?”.

“Good, it was finished today”, you said.

“Really? I can’t wait to hear that”, Minwoo said.

“Well....I hope you’ll like it”, you said. And understand it.

 

**

 

You woke up in the middle of the night because of the noisy sound downstairs. You got out from your room and walked down the stairs. Soon you notice the sound was coming from your parents bedroom. They were fighting. You were very shocked. Because all you know is they’re fine.

“Nami......”, you heard a voice behind you and you quickly turned, it was Darae, your servant.

“Why are they...?”, you said.

“From what I was hearing, they fought because your father is busier than usual. He rarely came home right? When was the last time you saw him?”, she asked.

“A....week ago”, you said.

“Exactly”, she said. “The problem is he comes home everyday”.

“I understand..”, you nodded.

“They have been fighting quiet often these days”, she said. “Your mom told me not to tell you but, I know soon or later you’ll find out”.

“I’ve saw them fighting before.....but never get this serious”, you said.

“Actually.....this one is better than yesterday”, she said.

“What..?”, you asked in surprised.

“They broke a few things yesterday”, she said.

“And how come I didn’t know that?!”, you asked.

“It was in the afternoon, when you were in school. Your dad came home just to take a few of his presentations material left, and your mom was finished teaching classes. They’re fighting and somehow broke some plate”, she said.

You winched, “But.....no physical abuse right?”, you asked.

“Fortunately, no”, she let out a reasurring smile.

“Allright then....’, you said.

“You should get back to sleep”, Darae said.

“I think I can’t get myself back to sleep again....”, you said.

“I understand”, she patted your back. “But you have to try, you have to maintain your health”.

“Thank you unnie”, you said.

“You’re welcome”, she smiled.

You walked to your room with a heartache. You didn’t know that your parents faced with a big problem. Marriage life, that’s what you don’t understand. How come married couple maintain their relationship for years, until they’re old. You always imagine how happy your grandparents are. They’re always fighting but they’re always forgive the other person.

You laid your body to your bed, thinking you might have to tell Minwoo,, but you realize that he’s asleep by now. But you definately need a person to talk to, maybe you’ll tell him at school. You hope that he’ll still be there for you.

 

**

 

“Minwoo I need to talk to you”, you said as you found him in class.

“About what?”, he asked.

“This is really important....”, you said. Just then the school’s bell is ringing.

“Maybe at the lunch time”, Minwoo said.

“Okay”, you said.

You got back to your seat, but you can’t concentrate to your lessons. You’re worrying your parents. You got scared of things. You missed your dad so much. Suddenly, your memory of your childhood with your dad were popped in your head.

“I want to play in the water!”, you said cheerfully when you saw the ocean.

“But you’re still sick”, your dad said.

“Just for a couple of minute pleaaase”, you pouted.

“Okay then...we will play in the water real quick”, you dad said.

“Yeaaay!!”, you said happily.

You remembered that you played in the water with your dad, you’re 6. You were having a cold that day, but your family decided to go for a picnic on the beach, just to let you breathe a fresh air. You remembered when your mom found out that you were playing in the water with your dad. She freaked out and scolded your dad. But he defended you, saying that you have to play so you’ll be happy.

You remembered those days. Your dad always there for you. He is your partner in crime, yet he never let you get hurt and always protect you. You really miss your dad. He’s getting busier with his company. You remembered when you played a role for last year’s drama, your dad promised you he’ll watch, but then he didn’t. There was an urgent meeting at his company. Last month, when your family decided to went holiday abroad, it has to be cancelled. Because there was a problem at your dad’s office. For you it’s fine, you understand. Even though you could only see him once a week, it’s fine. But you just really miss him right now. And with those fights you just knew, you scared. You felt lonely.

 

***