Seven

Reaper's Kiss

 

Only the ones who near death could see me.
 
Tao started to recall some of the faint details from last night. He slapped himself hard on his thigh, thinking he must be out of his damn mind for almost buying it for a second. For all he knew, Kris could be a thief, or a muder or a notorious criminal. Tao shuddered at the thought of the potential danger he might face. He went into his bedroom closet, pulled out a baseball bat that he bought ever since his freshman year of high school but never bothered to use because he was too lazy for the tryout. But nonetheless, he knew the bat would come in handy someday, and today was one of them.
 
"Am I really insane though..." Tao questioned himself.
 
Just before Tao could finish his thought, he was startled by a loud poof right behind him. Tao turned around just to be frightened the crap out of himself by Sehun. Sehun's face was covered in veins and his fangs were showing. His eyes emitted an eerie glow of orange and yellow hints of gradients. Those pair of eyes seemed like a vortex of the black hole, it pulled Tao in the moment he looked Sehun in the eyes. Tao was frightened, from head to toe, he went pale. He took an attempt to escapce, he turned the other way and aimed for the door, but Sehun with another poof, he reappeared in the middle of the door way, preventing Tao from running away.
 
"You're not insane, you're just about to die." Sehun shook his head with a smirk attached to his face.
 
Tao's appartment was now filled with his own scream of terror. He was so scared, to the point that a 20 years old grown man should not be. He wanted to cry, but the fear had stunned him for he had no tears left to pour out. Tao decided to ran the other way. Kris was in the way. Tao stopped in the middle of the two devils among him, wondering what to do. But before his brain could tell him what to do, it gave out on him. Tao fell flat on the ground, his grift left the baseball bat. It fell onto the ground created a loud clank. As for Tao he was on the floor too and he stayed there, for he fainted before the situation. 
 
Sehun came closer to Tao, who was still laying on the living room floor unconscious. He used his feet to kicked Tao's arm lightly and scoffed as he went. Kris seemed a little not too happy about Sehun's action, he cleared his throat softly, but it was loud enough for Sehun to hear. Sehun folded his arms and made a circle around Tao's body.
 
"Is this the best you could do?" Sehun taunted Kris for his taste
 
"I think he's pretty cute." Kris protested
 
"Cute or not, your mission here is to take a soul by the end of tomorrow night, if you don't Lord Xiumin will put a curse on you, you know that right?"
 
"I know, I just want to make it special, you know?"
 
"I don't even know why Lord gave you another chance, I don't think you could do it, or without my help at least."
 
"I could do it. Plus I didn't ask for your help, so you could leave now."
 
Kris took an attempt to drive Sehun away. Because of his begging, Sehun figured that it was best for him to leave so Kris' full potential could bloom, instead for receiving help from him all day. With a poof, Sehun disappeared from Tao's living room. 
 
Kris then crouched down onto the floor where Tao was laying and he took a good look at him. With the same feeling as before, Kris was still astounded by the younger boy's complexion, then he smiled at himself discretely. Kris extended his arms, and with his strength, he picked Tao up, bridal style and brought him over to to his bed inside his room. Kris sat on the egde of the bed and had his eyes fixed on the boy. Knowing he should not be doing this right now, Kris grew discontent. He supposed to find a human and take his soul by the end of tomorrow, but instead he felt a change of heart by a complete stranger that he barely met last night. Kris brought his hand up to his eyes level and felt even more torn for he saw the compass turned opaque with a deep shade of green, indicate that his victim is very near. He took a good look at it for a few seconds and decided to clench his hand, thinking he still have plenty of time to kill, unfortunately, Tao.
Kris' heart skipped a beat the moment he heard Tao's soft groan from his sleep. He put his hand over his heart and felt it went crazy, he couldn't even count the beats anymore. A weird feeling for joy smothered him for Tao was regaining his conscious. Kris drew his head closer to Tao's and waited for him to open his eyes completely. Tao slowly seperate his eyes lids and blinked a couple of times. He got flusttered because Kris was too close to him. Tao flinched and crawled to the opposite way of the bed to get way from Kris.
 
"Don't touch me, don't come any closer." Tao warned
 
"Okay, but do you believe I'm a reaper now?" 
 
Tao hugged a pillow tightly, giving Kris no response to his question. Kris waited a bit more, hoping for an answer that he knew would never come. He could see Tao was reeked with fear, his eyes twinkled with small droplets of tears, but he was strong enough to suppressed his tears from pouring out. But judging on the pale look on Tao's face, Kris already knew that he believed. The two of them sat in silence for a while until Tao decided to step out of his fear bubble and asked Kris a question.
 
"So... I'm really going to, um, die?"
 
"Yep," Kris shortly answered
 
"How could that be," Tao whispered under his breath, "I'm too young to die..." Until here, Tao was flustered and he wore a hopeless expression on his face
 
"Death is not that scary, don't worry."
 
"How do you know?" Tao yelled at Kris as his eyes were drenched with tears. Instead for telling him 'because I'm a reaper', Kris gave Tao a look. As he came to his realization, Tao looked down onto the pillow that he was holding onto tightly.
 
"If you're scared then I guess I could let you choose your dying method."