One

Reaper's Kiss

so i know that i sed i won't be updating this until my other fic is done. but today was my first day of school and everything already felt so overwhelming. so i decided to have chap 1 up first so you guys don't have to wait too long because i will be busy and wont write a lot. dun forget to comment<3

 

It was an evening in Manhattan, but it wasn't just any ordinary evening, it was a gloomy and heavy one. There, at the corner of the street, Tao's shadow alternately disappeared and reappeared. Huang ZiTao, a person that was pretty well known for his superstitious self, as per usual, he went to a psychic shop to have his palm read or just simply to satisfy his inner curiosity. By himself, with a thin black hoodie over his head, he walked to the door of the newly opened psychic shop and lightly knocked on it three times. A few second later, a rattling sound of the key chain was heard and the door pulled open, created a small squeaky sound. A middle aged woman greeted him. Tao smiled back warmly and stepped inside along with her. The psychic didn't look any different than Tao or anybody else, she dressed simply, but all in black, making Tao feel a little intimidated. Since the shop that he usually went to closed down, Tao settled for this one instead. The woman lead Tao through her empty waiting room and made a stop at a small room on the left with string curtains covered the door way. The light was dimmed inside, candles were in every corner of the room, there were no sign of windows, not even one. She went around a table in the middle of the room and sat down onto the ground, faced Tao, who was still standing at the door way.

 

"Come on in." The psychic invited Tao warmly.

 

He smiled and used his hand to pull the curtains aside then he stepped in. He sat down on the opposite side of the table, crossed his legs and rested his hands on his thighs. Saw Tao got comfortable at where he sat, the psychic stood up and reached for a deck of cards on top of the high shelf that contained nothing but voodoo materials. She sat back down on the floor and started to shuffle the deck of cards in her hands as she eyed Tao's complexion carefully.

"So tell me, what do you want me to read for you?" The psychic soft said

 

"Um, I want you to see when my bad luck will end." Tao replied 

 

The woman in black set the shuffled deck of cards on the table and squinted her eyes at Tao. He turned away in an uncomfortable but managed to stay still, after all he did come here for a psychic to read him.

 

"Your forehead is really dark, it means disaster." The woman pointed her long and bony index finger at Tao's head. Tao flinched in reaction. He brought his hand up to his forehead and rubbed it lightly.

 

"Is it really dark?" Tao asked in a worried tone. He reached into his shoulder bag and brought out a small mirror with a little bit of moisturizer. He applied it close to his hair line and took a few more second to carefully look at it before closing the mirror and turned back to the psychic, "Better now?"

 

"Uh huh, better. But your eyes, the corners of your eyes are too pale, great disaster."

 

"What... what does that mean?" Tao stuttered at the sudden change of the psychic's tone.

 

"Hm, pick a card." She put the shuffled deck of cards out in front of Tao's face. He extended his arm and drew out a card from the deck, then gave it to the psychic. She flipped the card over and a big gasp left . The atmosphere suddenly froze with fright as the psychic silently set the card back on the table.

 

"A bad tell, a bad tell." The psychic repeated herself.

 

"How bad is it?"

 

"You're gonna die." She affirmed

 

Tao widened his eyes as he slammed the table hard, created a loud sound echoed through the room and out to the hallway of the psychic shop. 

 

"Are you crazy or something?"

 

"Nope, but that is the truth." The woman replied surely, like nailing nails into a wall.

 

"Then I have to light the altars and do charities right?"

 

"Correct..."

 

Tao scoffed at the answer of the woman, "Every fortune teller and psychic says the same thing, I remember this by heart already."

 

"But you're still destined to die"

 

"What the hell...?" Tao groaned "I've never seen a psychic that bull as much as you do."

Tao waved his hand around in the air as the psychic spread the deck of cards on the table. She flipped open an old book, as if it was here for a thousand years already. She looked into it and suddenly laughed. Tao looked at the deck of cards then back at the woman, with a little hope on his face.

 

"What? Do I have a savior or what?"

 

"No," The woman nonchalantly answered.

 

"What the ..."

 

"But your destiny would be lead by a devil, an attractive one."

 

"Nonsense." Tao reached for his shoulder bag on the floor and propped himself up. Even though Tao was a superstitious person, the thought of dying frightened him to the core. Tao was only 20, he still has a long life, he still had too much to live for, but mostly he still had to take care of his mom, who is poor and lived in the country side by herself. 

 

"A death, as beautiful as the silver screen," Tao heard the psychic's voice echoed as he stepped out of the room and exited to the hall way. "Death by an accident. No, maybe you got killed. Or die for love..."

 

Tao, already angry, pushed the door of the now he thought, the quack psychic shop, he left the place without looking back. Tao headed for his apartment, which were a few blocks away from the shop. He changed into his work uniform and took a bus to his work place, started his night shift. Tao despited his job, it wasn't the worst thing in the world, but to him, it was sleazy as . To serve erted men and have numerous drinks with them every night, it disgusted Tao. But for the need of money, he had to do it. Yes, Tao was a bartender of a popular gay club at Manhattan, but what Tao did were more than just simply bartending