~ 1 ~

Mr. Smile

 

 

 

It’s funny how everything started with an accident, probably Eun Ji was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. But simply ruining into someone else’s 500 bucks shirt was not in her do-before-you-die list. She wanted to apologize for ruining that so expensive shirt, but apparently she was too scared to even approach the guy.

 

Eun Ji simply thought that she’ll never see that guy but here she was sitting beside him. Just because her best friend Yun Hee and her boyfriend Jong In were celebrating his inauguration in his father’s company.  It was indeed awkward for the girl to stare at the back of Kris, the guy whose shirt was ruined by her clumsy hands. She could clearly see the whole scene, like it happened a minute ago. The food that was literally tossed on his shirt, his angry expression when he yelled at her.

 

It was awkward indeed, if it wasn’t for the little accident she would be happy to be around him. But now when he was completely ignoring her existence and even glaring at her every time their eyes met … it was not something the girl could handle.

 

“ Excuse me … “ Eun Ji’s voice was shaking nervously. She had never felt that nervous in her life, not even in front of new strangers so  it was something new for her.

“ What do you want ? “ harshly replied the blonde guy, not even looking  at Eun Ji. His voice just froze her on the spot, she tried to speak but without any luck “ Forget the shirt … there is no use talking to me “ he said boldly completely ignoring Eun Ji. She was mad and if it wasn’t for the guilt, she would have been probably beating him up for looking down on her.

 

It would be really mean of her to make any scenes in front of strangers and to humiliate her best friend so Eun Ji simply called her 'babysitter' Joon Myun to pick her up from the party.

Actually he was working in her family sweet shop, but somehow her mother wanted Joon Myun to look after her daughter. It was annoying for Eun Ji, but it was completely useless to argue with her parents  so she learned to simply accept whatever they say for the time being.

After bidding goodbye with Yun Hee, she went into the older boy’s car. He drove away while she eyed the black screen of her phone.

“ Something wrong ? “ Joon Myun asked, little worried for the mental condition of the younger girl.

“ I’m cool, nothing to worry about “ Eun Ji blankly replied looking through the window of the vehicle. The boy knew that something was wrong, for the months he had spend in the girl’s company he could tell just by her expression, just as tonight. She looked little sad, completely out of her usual self. But Joon Myun knew better than anyone else that she needed to be alone.

 

Once the car stopped in front of the little house, Eun Ji went out the car without even saying a word.

“  Goodnight to you too… “ Joon Myun yelled, but the girl simply ignored him. He smiled to himself driving away to his place, she was indeed like his little sister …

 

 

~~~

 

The next morning, everything was the same except the fact that Eun Ji was left alone. Without her best friend by her side. But it was a good thing that it was her last year, so she’ll at least survive until starting a new life as a college student.

 

At school she preferred to be alone. No one to bother with her lazy self as she slept on her desk most of the time.  It was really sad that she had only one friend and now she was left alone because Yun Hee was now working in her stepfather’s company. But it’s better to have only one friend than a whole bunch of fake friends.

 

Once the lesson started Eun Ji lifted her head from the desk, it was going to be another boring lesson again. The teacher was talking about some project that took 50 % of the final marks.

“ So class, the project will be mainly for knowing the people around you.  It would be interesting to find out how all of you socialize with other people and experience new things … “  the teacher went on and on, Eun Ji thought that it was useless. Either way she had to do that project because she was hundred percent sure that she was going to fail the exam later.

 

But one thing never left her mind, what was she going to do … she couldn’t simply make a project about the people she knew. Even when she was thinking of asking Joon Myun to be her project-model, to find out about his past and his dreams, what kind of a person he was. But deep inside Eun Ji wanted a person that was a total mystery, a good challenge was never useless in life.

 

“ Eun Ji, can you replace me for awhile ? I have to go out for a little “ Joon Myun asked politely, he flashed his eye-smile that no one had the power to resist. Although the girl was not in the mood to do any work, she agreed to the offer and soon she was left alone in the sweets store. For some reason she was not keen on sweet stuff, but she extremely loved eating ice-cream. 

 

As Eun Ji was thinking about her project and whom she has to observe so she could pass the stupid task, the little bell rang above the door. Eun Ji lifted her big dark eyes to greet the customer when she froze in place. Her eyes now wide open, while her brain went off for a couple of seconds.

She examined the tall figure as the guy looked around the store. It was not just any tall guy … it was the guy that Eun Ji thought that she’ll never see again. But now he was looking around the shop... Kris the guy she tried to avoid.

He went up to her and somehow a little grin appeared on his face the moment their eyes met.

 

“ I would like to buy one box of the chocolate cupcakes “  his deep voice made Eun Ji’s legs tremble a little. She blinked several times before reaching for the box of chocolate cupcakes. She simply asked herself what crime she had done in her past life to deserve  such punishment.  From all the sweet stores in whole Seoul, Kris decided to buy cupcakes in her own store “ I never thought that I’ll see you here … hope you’re not working to pay my shirt “ he mocked lightly which annoyed Eun Ji even more.

 

“ For your information the store is a family business, so pay off those cupcakes and go already “ she said annoyed waiting for the blond boy to pay for the sweet stuff. Kris just furrow his brows tossing the money on the counter.

“ Acting all mean with the customers ? I have no idea how the store survived … “ he smirked taking the cupcakes from Eun Ji’s hands. She, from another hand, was trying so hard not to throw him out of the store.

 

“ Actually it’s only with you, besides  you were the first to be mean to me … “ firmly replied Eun Ji. She got tired of arguing with Kris, so she went to arrange some sweets on the shelves. It was the worst day for Eun Ji, not only did she met with Kris, but she was not that tall to reach the top shelves.  And now when Joon Myun was not in the shop, she cursed to herself that she was not tall enough.

Her hands reached out to grab the box but she failed though, so she tried to jump several times to reach it but the result was the same. While staring at the top shelf a hand reached and took the box. Eun Ji turned around to thank the person that helped her, but then she frowned lightly seeing who actually helped her.

 

“ Guess I’m not that bad after all “ Kris chuckled placing the box right in Eun Ji’s hands. She groaned lightly, how did she forget that the tall blond guy was still in the store.

“ Thanks, I guess “ she mumbled under her nose, hoping that he never heard it. But for some reason she was happy with the unexpected kindness that Kris showed her. She was about to ask if he needed anything else but she was interrupted by his phone. The moment his gaze landed on the screen the little smile on his face vanished, somehow the girl noticed how sad he looked for a minute before putting some kind of a mask.

 

“ It was no use to ask me such a favor “ Kris blankly replied to the other person on the phone “ I’ll be the first to hung up “ his gaze was watching the phone for awhile before realizing his surroundings. He faked a smile which Eun Ji was able to recognize, Kris took the box of cupcakes he had bought and went to the exit not even forcing to say goodbye.

 

The thing that Eun Ji saw earlier never left her mind, not even when Joon Myun returned to the shop and asked if there was a problem. The girl was not sure herself  what she actually felt when she saw Kris so different from before. Not that she knew him well, but what she knew for sure was that he had some dark secret  and for some reason it captured the young girl’s attention.

 

 “ Eun Ji-ah “ the moment she heard her name, Eun Ji turned around just to see her best friend Yun Hee right in front of her. This whole time Kris was the reason of her daydream. Eun Ji flashed a smile not letting her own thoughts to take over her. But for sure she wanted Kris as her project-model, knowing that he might keep some secret  made the girl curious as ever.

 

“ Is there something wrong ? You’re strange today … “ Yun Hee asked little worried about her friend “ Is it about Kris ? “ Eun Ji widened her eyes, shocked of how well her friend knew her. She wondered if to tell Yun Hee or not, after all she’s her best friend.

“ Well, I have some project at school … and I have to chose a model in life or something like that” Eun Ji started looking at the big curious eyes of her friend “ The thing is that I happen to chose Kris for that matter … I  feel that I have to find his secret “ she bit her lower lip little nervous. Was her friend going to think that she’s some kind of an idiot for choosing the person that hates her? But Eun Ji was interested in Kris, liking it or not … and wanted to find his true self.

“ Actually, that’s a really ummm…. unexpected from your side “ Yun Hee chuckled embracing the other girl “ I think you’re interested in Kris himself … “ she joked around. And for the first time in awhile Eun Ji knew that her friend was right. He had captivated her mind just like that, it was not because he was like a God or because he was giving her the cold shoulder. The sadness that she saw in his eyes was the reason she wanted to know him better.

 

~~~

 

“ I told you already, I refuse to come “ Kris said once again to the person on the other line. He had no idea why he picked up the phone every time knowing that it was going to bring bad memories to him. But for sure he knew that the old life he left behind was now chasing him again. Kris ended the call without even listening to the person that tried to talk with him.

 

Throwing the phone somewhere in the room, he quickly made his way to the kitchen. The phone calls recently made him stop and think ‘ Will he be able to escape again ? ’ Returning to that place wasn’t in his plans at all. He dragged the little box of chocolate cupcakes he had bought from the shop where he saw Eun Ji. A little smile formed on his face, Kris had no idea why he bought those cupcakes because he never liked sweet stuff that much.

 

He took one into his long hand and moved it gently to his lips, before parting them to taste the cupcake. It was good, but he never wanted to admit to himself that he actually went to the store just because he saw the same girl that ruined his shirt standing in the shop. How come he was interested in a girl like Eun Ji. They never talked properly, but he simply remembered her name the first time he had heard it from her friend. She was not even his type, but something in her made him smile.

 

In the morning Kris went early to the company he was working in. It was time for his teaching assignment with Yun Hee, the stepdaughter of his boss. It was really a bother to him. Considering the fact that she was the reason for Kris to bump into Eun Ji. For the time being, his thoughts were far away from his workplace. He never noticed that Yun Hee was actually looking at him.

 

“ Is something wrong ? “ Kris asked little annoyed at the way the girl was looking at him.

“ Ummm, would you mind coming for lunch with me ? “ she asked brightly. Something in the offer bothered Kris. Why all of a sudden she wanted to eat lunch with him ?

“ Fine with me “ he accepted the offer without giving much thoughts about what evil plans she had came up with. As soon as lunch time came, she jumped from her seat heading to the door. Kris raised his eyebrow thinking if she’s hungry as a hunter or just excited that she’ll have an hour free time from ‘ The Chinese crap’ as she liked to call his mother language.

 

Once Kris went after the girl he spotted another two figures awaiting for him. Jong In, his new boss and also Yun Hee’s boyfriend and Eun Ji, Yun Hee’s annoying friend. He knew that something was wrong for sure, if they are trying to hook him with the crazy girl that ruined his shirt … they had to think again.

 

“ What’s that all about ? “  Kris asked coldly, sure he was a little pissed off and just for lunch he hoped that he could rest a little. But considering the whole group of people that will eat with him just made him little annoyed.

 

“ We’ll be going out for lunch ” Jong In replied possessively resting his hand around his girlfriend’s shoulders. Kris looked at Eun Ji, she was looking at him with those big eyes of hers. For a person like Kris puppy eyes never worked but seeing the girl like that just made something in his heart flip a little. Before he could respond properly and make some excuse for not joining the youngsters for lunch, a pair of arms grabbed his own and dragged him along the elevator. Just then he realized that Eun Ji was the one holding his hand firmly not letting him escape.

 

In the end Kris accepted the fact that a 160 centimeters tall girl managed to hold him from escaping and even drag him in the restaurant where they were supposed to have their lunch. For a girl she was really strong, Kris thought to himself while looking at her now frowned face. He was not sure why she was so focused on the menu, but it made him smile a little.

 

“ Yun Hee, I have no idea what to buy … “ Eun Ji whined at her best friend. The truth was that Eun Ji had never been in a restaurant as fancy as the one they were at the moment. She never thought that doing something simple as ordering lunch would be so difficult.

Suddenly Kris’s phone rang, but once he looked at the screen his brows frowned.

 

“ I have to go “ he said before walking away from the restaurant. That sudden action made Eun Ji a little sad. She knew that Kris disliked her to some degree, but if she wanted an A+ on the project she had to make everything just for Kris not to hate her.

“ He’s acting strange recently “ Jong In suddenly remarked. Both girls questioned him, curious to find out about the matter “ Well, he misses meetings …. When I call him he’s always busy with something “

 

“ Yeah, I noticed as well. And he’s spacing out most of the times … he looks sad “ Yun Hee added taking a sip from her drink. For some strange reason Eun Ji felt bad for him, it was like her heart ached a little.

 

“ I have to do something … “ and with that Eun Ji ran out from the restaurant. She had no idea what’s corrupting her mind to think that Kris was mad at her again, but she simply disliked people hating on her … 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The first chapter is out .......   

 

I’m really excited actually, I’m always like that every time I start a new fanfic

Sorry if the first chapter is not that good …. >< but I’m really nervous to find out what you all think

And I’m really thankful to the bunnies that commented [  I call my subscribers bunnies ~ for those who are new and have no idea why I call you bunnies … XDD it’s something I made up in my other fic ] 

 

So just for the info … this fanfic won’t be that long as the other [ Under the same roof ] because I plan on making another one but not before I finish this one ^^

Also, since I’m starting school this Monday I’m not sure how often I’ll be updating … but I’ll try at least  1 or 2 chapters a week. I’m really sorry … since it’s my last year I have to think about my future and to work hard if I want to go in the university I want ~

Comment and subscribe :))