Article ⑬

Blitz Magazine - The Sidequel

 

 

Young Mi was making breakfast when she heard someone knock on the front door. She quickly washed her hands at the sink and proceeded towards the door while wiping her hands dry using the kitchen paper towels.

 

“Hi,” she smiled at a middle-aged lady who was close to being 6 feet tall and had strawberry blonde shoulder length hair.

 

“Good morning,” the lady seemed in awe when she scanned Young Mi from head to toe, “Are you perhaps…Korean?”

 

Young Mi shyly nodded and the lady started to flail about wildly. “I saw you and your husband around many times and I finally mustered up enough courage to talk to you under the pretense of wanting to borrow some salt because I ran out of it.” She spoke quickly because she so excited to be talking to…a Korean.

 

H-Husband? Ohhhh, you mean the guy who’s always with me?” Young Mi scratched her head awkwardly and the lady nodded a little too enthusiastically that the ex-Fashion Assistant started laughing weakly, “He’s my boyfriend, actually.”

 

“You both look like one of those really hot couples from Korean dramas.” She gushed.

 

Erm, do you still need to borrow some salt?” Young Mi asked, “Oh, and would you like to come in?”

 

“I’ll say yes to both.” The woman smiled and took off her sandals at the door before stepping into the apartment, “You speak English really fluently, dear.”

 

“I was a journalism student so it was a no brainer for me to pick up various languages to improve my chances of employment.” Young Mi shrugged and led them both into the kitchen, “Oh! I haven’t introduced myself yet. I’m Young Mi, by the way.”

 

“Same here, how rude of me,” the lady laughed, “I’m Laura.” And they shook hands.

 

“If you happen to catch a glimpse of a poker-faced ninja dressed entirely in black around here, he’s Yunho, not some burglar.” Young Mi stated, “Coffee or tea?”

 

“Tea with two cubes of sugar, please and thank you.” Laura smiled, “So, why did you and your boyfriend move here?”

 

“Yunho’s doing his further studies in Harvard so I tagged along,” she handed the middle aged lady her cup of tea.

 

“Thank you, dear.” The lady took a sip of it before continuing, “My son’s studying law there too.”

 

“You tagged along as well?” Young Mi asked.

 

She nodded, “Well, I’m a single parent so my son’s really attached to me. I actually trust him enough to come here to study on his own but he said he would feel homesick so I decided to come along.”

 

“So you guys are from…”

 

“Florida.”

 

Ooo, that’s nice.” The journalist smiled as she resumed her cooking of pancakes, “Okay, the thing is…my cooking is really mediocre so I’m not sure if it’s right to offer you breakfast.”

 

“It smells good though.” Laura chuckled, “I’ll have one if you dare to hand it over to me.”

 

“Sure,” and Young Mi prayed for Laura’s tummy.

 

Yunho came into the kitchen and gave Young Mi a quick hug from behind before he slid into an empty seat at the dining table. She yelped because she didn’t hear him approach her and that caused Laura to laugh. Yunho turned to the stranger, “I’m Yunho, and you are?”

 

“The neighbour from unit 6, I’m Laura.” She smiled.

 

“I see. You’re part of some Korean drama fanatic club right?” Yunho said and Young Mi turned around with wide eyes.

 

“Wow, you know?” Laura gaped.

 

“Your gang tends to squeal really loudly on Mondays and Saturdays from 8pm to 11pm.” Yunho drawled.

 

“I’m sorry, we’ll close the windows from now on.”

 

“Thank you.” Yunho gave a slight bow in his seat and got back to reading the geometry textbook in his hands.

 

“I’m sorry if he came off a little too straightforward for your liking,” Young Mi gave a weak laugh as she handed Laura a pancake on a plate and placed small dishes of butter and honey beside the utensils.

 

“It’s alright. He’s not much of a talker, isn’t he?” She whispered.

 

Young Mi shook her head and went back to finish preparing Yunho’s share.

 

“It’s good.” Laura complimented.

 

“Thanks.”

 

“Yunho, your breakfast is ready.” Young Mi placed the plate of hotcakes before her boyfriend and began cleaning up the place.

 

“I’ll wash,” he volunteered.

 

“It’s alright, you can just eat and head for class.” Young Mi smiled gratefully at him.

 

“Okay…” Yunho shrugged and began eating.

 

“Young love.” Laura sighed dreamily and Young Mi laughed.

 


 

With so much time on her hands, Young Mi agreed on a whim to teach the housewives of the ‘Korean-drama-fanatic-club’ Korean on Saturday nights. As they got to know each other better as the weeks went by, the gang invited the journalist downstairs for a cook out by booking the barbeque pit area.

 

“Yunho, would you like to come downstairs and join us for dinner?”

 

“Downstairs? I don’t have to cook tonight?” Yunho asked.

 

“It’s a barbeque.” Young Mi patted his back as she walked past him to grab some bottles of wine from the fridge.

 

“With your ‘Korean language students’?” Yunho chuckled and she nodded, “Why not.”

 

The couple made their way down with various pre-marinated meat and wine and the housewives started to whistle and get excited when they spotted a very handsome stranger walking alongside their ‘language teacher’.

 

“Young Mi, you’re giving me ideas on wanting to divorce my husband to find a younger and hotter guy, preferably Korean too.” Lorelei, another student of hers commented and the rest of the gang laughed.

 

“Please don’t do that,” Young Mi gaped.

 

“Call me when you guys decide to start the barbeque,” Yunho took a seat at the table by the barbeque pit and started typing away on his phone.

 

“Is he the ‘tsundere’ type?” Sofia whispered to Young Mi.

 

“What’s ‘tsundere’, Sofia?” Laura cut in.

 

“Cold on the outside but a total softie on the inside.” Sofia giggled to herself.

 

“Well, is he?” Lorelei joined in and her 3 students were now staring hungrily at the journalist, waiting for her answer.

 

Err, he’s cold on the outside and inside.” Young Mi answered and the 3 of them groaned, “But he’s currently in the process of melting.”

 

“Are you a science major?” Sofia asked.

 

“No, just trying to explain with as little words as possible.” Young Mi grinned.

 

“What kind of journalist are you!?” Laura feigned a scandalised look on her face, making the rest of them howl in laughter.

 

“Yun-Yun looks bored over there, so let’s start cooking,” Lorelei clapped her hands together and the women got to work.

 

“Don’t ever call him that,” Young Mi whispered to Lorelei as they got the fire started.

 

“Why not?”

 

“He’ll kill you with a glare.”

 

“I already died when I saw him walk towards us just now.”

 

Young Mi could only laugh.

 

“Anything I can do to help?” And the two ladies jumped in shock when a deep voice came from behind them.

 

“Yeah, you can just stand in front of us so we can enjoy the gorgeous view.” Lorelei joked and Yunho shook his head in disbelief.

 

“Anything else?” He asked again.

 

“You can start barbequing these actually.” Young Mi handed a tray of food to him.

 

“Okay.” Yunho shrugged and got to work.

 

The 3 ladies chatted about their favourite Korean actors with the couple and when Young Mi said that she had worked with some of them before in photoshoots for Blitz, they went stark raving mad and demanded for some behind the scenes photos. Young Mi whipped out her phone to show them some images she had taken, and though minimal, the housewives seemed to have calmed down quite a bit.

 

“And I have some photos to share with you, come on over here,” Lorelei beckoned Young Mi to seat beside her so the 2 ladies scooted over, not minding that they got chased away because that only meant that they could sit closer to the hotter than hot Yunho.

 

“Oh my Gawd,” Young Mi playfully shoved Lorelei when she looked at the camera roll of endless images of Yunho taken while they were barbequing just now, “What the heck…”

 

“Look at those arms…” Lorelei drooled openly and zoomed into the next picture, “And he really has an awesomely shapely .”

 

What…” Young Mi blushed even harder.

 


 

“I’m never going to let you hang out with them ever again,” Young Mi vowed as soon as the couple got home from the barbeque.

 

“Because they have been constantly openly eye me?” Yunho smirked.

 

Yeah, and taking indecent shots of you as well.” Young Mi pouted as she put away the leftover food and wine into the fridge.

 

Yunho chuckled all the way to the bathroom.

 

“Yunho?” Young Mi sat Indian style outside the toilet with a can of beer in her hand.

 

She heard him turn off the shower to answer her, “Yes?”

 

“I never got to ask you, but how’s school been for you?”

 

“Very good. Hold on, I’ll run a bath instead so I can talk to you more effectively.” And she heard water run once more for a few minutes before his voice could be heard from behind the door, “I want to ask you, should I take up Russian or German?”

 

“You’re learning another language?” Young Mi gaped.

 

“It’s compulsory. There are major mathematics works published not only in English but in French, German and Russian, so us student have to learn 2 out of the 3, excluding English.”

 

I see,” Young Mi nodded as she recalled some math terms in foreign languages.

 

“I already took French in university, so I’m going to take that next year when I have to take advanced modules and complete the compulsory undergraduate teaching programme.”

 

“That’s a good strategy, that way you won’t have to worry much about French next year.”

 

“Yeah. So what should I take up?”

 

“I heard Russian’s pretty hard.”

 

“Then Russian is it.”

 

WHAT!? Hey, aren’t students always seeking to take the easier path in life?” Young Mi asked with wide eyes.

 

“I like the way their words look.”

 

“It’s super duper complicated. Yunho, you are such a sadist,” Young Mi frowned.

 

“Let’s not talk about school anymore,” Yunho said.

 

“Okay.”

 

“What do you think about us?”

 

Huh?” She was caught completely off guard, “What do you mean?”

 

“It means whatever you think it means.”

 

She laughed, “Okay…well, I think we’re going good.”

 

“That’s a relief.”

 

“Why did you ask?” She questioned as she took another swig of beer.

 

“Because I’m a failure when it comes to love.”

 

“No, no, no!” She cried, “You’re doing awesome, trust me. You’re a great kisser too.”

 

“That’s good to hear,” he chuckled, “What an epic fail it would be if I kiss horribly but enjoy doing it.”

 

“Yeah,” she laughed too, “I would probably break up with you to save my poor abused lips.”

 

“True.”

 

“Yunho, thank you for giving me a chance.”

 

Us.” Yunho corrected.

 

She smiled, “Okay. Thank you for giving us a chance.”

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

“Yunho?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“I’m being annoying again right?”

 

“No, I have learnt to accept your talkative and random side. Go on.”

 

“Yay! Erm, are you hungry?”

 

“That was really random, but no, I’m not. Are you?”

 

“Yes, I always am.”

 

“Let’s go hunt for supper for you.”

 

“But we have leftovers from just now.”

 

“I’m hurt, you just rejected my attempt at bringing you out.” She could almost see the pout on Yunho’s face.

 

“I’M SORRY! I just don’t want to tire you out and besides, it’s already past 11 and you have school tomorrow.” Young Mi answered.

 

“I’m a part-time insomniac, so don’t worry.” Yunho chuckled and opened the door.

 

Young Mi thanked the Gawds that it wasn’t one of those dramas where the hot actor/guy comes out from the bathroom with only a towel wrapped around his waist.

 

“You’re clothed!” Young Mi let out a breath of relief and he looked down at her with a raised brow, “Forget it, let’s go find food!”

 

“Get up and walk slowly so you don’t trip on your own legs,” Yunho could sense a subtle aura of embarrassment around her.

 

O-Okay,” she answered in a small and timid voice.

 


 

The couple walked for almost an hour before they found a café which operated 24/7. There were a few college-looking students scattered around the establishment with their cups of coffee left forgotten as they burned the midnight oil, most likely rushing to finish their assignments due in less than 12 hours.

 

“What would you like to have?” Yunho turned to ask Young Mi, who was looking though the stack of magazine on the table next to the entrance door.

 

She looked overhead to give a quick scan of the giant menu board above the cashier area, “Vanilla latte,” and she proceeded to study the cake display counter, “And I want that Boston cream pie.”

 

Yunho nodded and went off to order for them both.

 

Young Mi picked up the latest copy of Blitz (American edition) and chose a table with green velvet couches by the window. While waiting for Yunho to come back with supper, she flipped though the magazine and laughed at Changmin’s witty yet sarcastic editor’s note.

 

“What are you laughing about?” Yunho was finally back and she drooled at the aromatic smell of her latte and Yunho’s black coffee.

 

She handed the magazine over while she took a sip of her piping hot drink.

 

“We haven’t been updating ourselves about Blitz. This is beyond belief.” Yunho chuckled as he quickly browsed though the magazine in his hands.

 

“I know,” she chortled, “It’s like as if we’ve totally wiped our hands off the publication.”

 

Yunho nodded with a small smile on his face.

 

“This pie is really good, you should try it,” Young Mi held a spoon full of it in front of him and he just stared blankly at her, “Opps, erm…feed yourself then.”

 

Yunho grabbed her retracting hand and maneuvered it towards his open mouth and took in the dessert. Young Mi immediately placed the spoon down, grabbed the abandoned magazine on the side of the table and began reading an article inside it but was unable to absorb anything from it.

 

“I shouldn’t have blanked out.” Yunho stated and she peeked slightly from above the magazine she was holding up in front of her face, “I’m sorry for making you feel so awkward.”

 

Young Mi hid back behind the magazine and Yunho reached out to fish it out from her hands.

 

“Stop being bold then shy at the next moment,” Yunho sighed, “It’s just really bipolar.”

 

“I’m not bipolar…” she whined and hid her face in her hands after Yunho leaned forward to kiss her cheek while muttering ‘adorable’.

 

“See, you’re doing it again,” Yunho taunted.

 

“But that’s because of your sneak attack.” She pouted.

 

“What sneak attack?” Yunho replied nonchalantly, “Fine, then I won’t kiss you anymore-”

 

“No, don’t ever not kiss me!” Young Mi panicked and Yunho laughed.

 

Realising that she had burst out quite loudly, earning her a few curious glances from the other customers in the café, she groaned and curled herself into a ball on the couch.

 

“I can just die from embarrassment,” she faked a sob.

 

“Pray hard that those onlookers don’t understand a word of Korean,” Yunho tried.

 

She sighed and nodded weakly.

 

“Finish your pie so we can start walking home.”

 

Okay…”

 

10 minutes later, the couple was on their way home from the café when Yunho suddenly stopped in the middle of the walkway, and Young Mi, who had been constantly yawning and was hence, in quite a daze, knocked into his back.

 

Oof! Crap, I’m so sorry...” Young Mi sighed at what seemed like the umpteenth fail of the week. 

 

“It’s my fault, don’t worry.” Yunho reached out to intertwine their fingers together and continued on their silent journey home.

 

Young Mi was biting on her lower lip to keep herself from squealing in delight and decided to channel all her concentration on walking properly so as to not trip and embarrass herself again.

 

It was only half an hour later then did the journalist find out that they weren’t on the road back to their apartment. She looked up at Yunho and asked, “Where are we going?”

 

“You’ll see.” Yunho suddenly tugged at her hand and they started walking out of the sidewalk and into what seemed like an eternity of getting hit by tall bushes in the face before they finally stepped out from it and a Victorian style gazebo facing a rather large lake came into view.

 

“This is gorgeous…” Young Mi broke out into a wide smile.

 

“I’ve been hanging out here to get my assignments done because it’s really quiet here at night.” Yunho stated, “I overheard from the other students in class that they believe it’s haunted here, but I don’t believe such things.”

 

“How can this place be haunted?” Young Mi frowned.

 

“We’re not locals, so who knows?” Yunho shrugged before tugging at her hand once more to step up into the gazebo, “Oh, before I forget…” He let go of her hand to reach into his pocket and pull out a charm bracelet.

 

“NO WAY! IS THAT WHAT I THINK IT IS!?” Young Mi cupped her hand to in surprise.

 

“I will take that as a positive reaction.” Yunho had a small smile on his face, “I’ve been researching for a whole year to get a vintage junkie like you something that even you cannot get your hands on so…”

 

“AND YOU SUCEEDED! OH MY GAWD, IS THAT FROM THE FIRST COLLECTION OF 1996 CHARM BRACELETS FROM PANDORA!?” Young Mi actually had happy tears flowing out from her eyes.

 

“You’re on the verge of getting a panic attack, but yes, it is. Happy birthday.” Yunho helped put the jewellery on her wrist.

 

“And it's an even bigger surprise that you know it’s my birthday…” she checked her watch and it read 1.02am, “today.”

 

“Well, I do have your Blitz employee particulars.” Yunho shrugged.

 

Young Mi tiptoed to peck his cheek before blushing, “Thank you so much, Yunho, I’ll treasure and protect it with my life.”

 

“You’re welcome.” Yunho smiled, “I’m in a homework mood now since I’m here.”

 

She sighed, “Okay, but let me lean on you so I can take a nap while you work on your assignment.”

 

They both sat on the long bench and the journalist turned her back on Yunho so she could lean her entire weight on his side. She raised her left hand up and admired the way the trinkets of the bracelet sparkled as the overheard light of the gazebo shone on them with a satisfied grin on her face and fell asleep soon after.

 

When Young Mi woke up next, she realised that she was now lying on her bed. Her heart leaped when she registered a couple of seconds later that Yunho was sleeping beside her with his mouth adorably yet hilariously wide open.

 

“No wonder you ban people from going into your bedroom.” She had a sneaky grin on her face as she silently leaned over to pull the duvet up to cover him.

 

She then softly padded her way into the kitchen to take a look at Yunho’s school timetable on the fridge. She read the clock on the wall and realised that he had exactly 2 hours before his first class began. Feeling a little lazy herself, she went across a couple of streets to get half a dozen muffins of assorted flavours from the bakery and ran back to their apartment so she could wake Yunho up for school.

 

She sighed in relief when she realised that Yunho had already woken up and was currently using the bathroom.

 

Young Mi snapped her fingers as she recalled something she had hidden deep in her wardrobe and ran into her bedroom with a wide smirk on her face. She dug out a red box with an accompanying red bow at the top and opened it. Muahaha,” she sniggered and had the box under one arm and proceeded towards the bathroom and knocked on the door, “Yunho, I’m leaving something outside here so make sure you wear them.”

 

She heard him groan and she walked off laughing.

 

Yunho came into the kitchen wearing a full suit of beige tartan and an accompanying white dress shirt inside with a painfully obvious grimace of pain on his face. Young Mi couldn’t help but laugh.

 

“Happy Birthday in advance,” Young Mi gave him a bone crushing hug and pulled out her trump card from her pocket and placed a pair of big framed glasses on the bridge of his nose.

 

“Déjà vu,” Yunho groaned as he recalled a similar incident that happened a couple of years ago when Jaejoong had dressed him up in a nerdy-preppy style.

 

“I didn’t know that your birthday was a day after mine.” Young Mi smiled up at him.

 

“How did you-”

 

“I’m your ninja-student.”

 

Yunho rolled his eyes, “Everyone’s going to wonder why I’m dressed so weirdly today.”

 

“It’s not weird, it’s refreshing and you look more handsome than ever.”

 

“Not afraid girls start stealing me away from you?” Yunho asked.

 

“Your phobia of women applies to everyone but me, so of course I’m not afraid.”

 

“Conceited much.” Yunho smirked.

 

“Very much.” She laughed haughtily while opening the box of muffins and pushed them towards her lover, “Have breakfast and hurry on to school.”

 

“You didn’t cook.”

 

“And you look positively delighted. I can see a rainbow over your head.” Young Mi pouted, “Do you hate my cooking so much?”

 

“I am not smiling at all,” Yunho countered.

 

“But I have learnt to roughly read your hidden feelings overtime.” Young Mi smiled sadly.

 

“My apologies for spoiling the mood of the birthday girl.” Yunho sighed.

 

“It’s quite alright.” Young Mi jingled the charm bracelet on her wrist, “Looking at this instantly brightens my day.”

 

Yunho grabbed a muffin and his bag in another before kissing Young Mi chastely on the lips, “I’ll just eat on the way to school. I’m going to cook dinner, so just sit back and relax while I’m gone, alright?”

 

Ooo, you’re spoiling me. Okay.” Young Mi side hugged her boyfriend all the way to the front door where Yunho leaned downwards to capture her lips once more.

 

“I’m addicted to kissing you, really.” Yunho confessed, “I better go now before you start calling me an old ert with a kissing . Bye, Mimi.”