To clear my head

Royal Lovestory

 

The next day in the Watchman's house went by in a slow and utterly sleepy pace. The youngsters got up somewhere before the noon, had their brunch, and piled into the parlor – actually: living – room. They were still mentally sleeping so they didn't have any very serious conversations.

 

The Watchman himself had got up before all the others and left the house even before the Sun had decided to peek over the edge of the Mariban. His feet took him to the City Square – he wanted to see that place again, maybe it'll clear his head of certain thoughts. Aron had had one weird dream after another all night long. He did sleep, but the things regarding Kris worried him – he did owe his own life to the butler – and they had already tired him off.

 

The Square was empty. There was no one in sight. The city was still sleeping. The cold morning wind embraced Aron but he didn't feel it – he had his warm coat on. The same coat which his dear mother had sewed for him three winters ago, just a few months before she and Aron's dad went missing.

 

Aron came to a halt by the wooden platform, or what was left of it. Only a few planks marked the place it had laid only yesterday. It was most likely torn down and taken away by people living nearby – they needed fire-wood and this monstrous platform was a great supply of that. They did what they had to do to keep themselves alive.

 

Why did you turn them off? Why? What is there to hide? Did Lucras say something, which you knew he will, something that will make us to see you differently? Something that will make us hate you? “But I could never hate someone that has been through things like you... You've always had a reason for everything you do. You've always put others first...” Is there something more to what you've told us?...

 

Where do you go every end of the month? Does it have something to do with that? Are you doing something for Lucras? Are you playing on both sides?

 

The more Aron thought of the reasons why Kris did something or why he didn't the more confused he became. He trusted the other. He had trusted him from the very start. Kris and Tao and all other members of EXO had been there for him and Lia when their parents disappeared, but now he became to question the leader's motives. Was it safe to follow him anymore? What if Kris had lied to them from the start?

 

“Stop it. You don't know that.” he whispered to himself.

 

***

 

Sun had raised just enough to shed its light over the rooftops.

 

Aron decided to go back home and have a cup of warm peppermint tea. But before he could even take a step towards his house he heard galloping. It was faint at first, but as seconds ticked by it got louder and louder. By the time he could turn around to see the source the riders already passed him.

 

They are the- “Hey! Wait!” What was their name?!

 

But the five riders didn't pay any attention to him. They simply rode across the Square and disappeared behind the houses. Aron attempted to run after them, but realizing it was no use he gave up the idea.

 

“I could have asked them to join us!” Aron cursed.

 

He sighed and walked back to where he had come from. The streets were still empty. Usually he would see people going to work, children running to bakeries to get yesterday's left-overs for free, he would smell the sweet aromas of different kinds of breakfast prepared in the kitchens of loving mothers and wifes. His heart used to jump with joy and that feeling used to be one of the reasons he got up this early.

 

Now he didn't have any reason to get up so early – it was simply out of habit.

 

***

 

Aron stepped into the house and Sunhi perked up to see the comer. She hadn't heard him when he had left and now her first idea was to yell for the boy, because to her mind whoever opened the door was an intruder. The moment the locked clicked... she was ready to yell or run or do the both.

 

“Morning.” the 'intruder' said softly.

 

Sunhi sighed and let herself to fall back onto the sofa. “You startled me.”

 

“Sorry.” Aron apologized taking off his coat.

 

“Where did you go?”

 

“Out. To clear my head.”

 

“This early?”

 

Aron shrugged.

 

“Well, I should go out, too. My head just keeps and keeps pounding.” the girl said putting her hand on her forehead.

 

“Is it serious?” the boy got worried and came up to Sunhi.

 

“I don't know...”

 

“I'll get you some painkillers.”

 

“Please do.” It will be a total drag if my memory really decides to come back like this... but it's better than nothing, I guess.

 

***

 

The bakery's sign read “Closed”, but Aron still reached his out hand to turn the door-knob – it was locked. Dammit! He knocked on the glass-door. No response. Aron stepped closer to have a look inside. There were piles of boxes full of bread and bagels on the counters, on the floor, and on all of the shelves. The two bakers had really become the providers to this part of the city - no wonder why little children still played on the streets here.

 

“Where are you, guys? You told me to come...”

 

GD did call Aron and told him that Kris had finally woken up. But how was Aron supposed get into the bakery if the door was closed and no one was there to open it? He couldn't just break it to get in, because then there would be one more thing he had to fix and he had enough of those already.

 

A door creaked open inside of the shop – TOP came. Seeing Aron already standing behind the door with a very unamused face he quickened his pace. In a moment he was already unlocking the door.

 

“You're early.” the older one said opening the door.

 

“Excuses-excuses.” Aron chuckled as he stepped in. “So, how's the happy princess?”

 

“Why won't you ask him yourself.”

 

Upstairs Kris had just finished his meal. When Aron entered the room his heart trembled and out of the blue chills run down his spine. The butler remembered that unavoidable moment in his plan when he had to do something that was against his life's principles. But we gotta do what have to... to survive... he'll be fine... he's strong... - ...he will never forgive me... neither will the others. Especially Tao.

 

“How are you?” Aron asked after he had stood by the door for a moment. He felt as if Kris had changed somehow, like he was... confused... somehow... he seems so uneasy... Is he? Is he really... going to give up? But he has been through things far more serious that this... death is kind of... the heaviest thing ever but... still...

 

“I should ask you the same thing.” Kris said once he had collected himself after awakening from his thoughts. “You seem a bit off.”

 

“Me?” Aron chuckled and rubbed the back of his head, “Nah... I'm just a bit tired that's all.”

 

“You've always been a bad liar... You were worried about me, weren't you?”

 

“You're giving yourself too much credit.” Aron humfed crossing his arms.

 

Kris smiled wide. A drop of Aron's sarcasm was all it took to make him feel alive again. The guy just had this unique spark in him – he reminded Kris of himself, back in the day when he still had a freedom to choose his own path. Now he just goes along with things he used to know were right.

 

“At least you admit it... Anyway, I'm fine. The bruises are doing a great work with notifying me that they're still here and neck hurts, but other than that I'm pretty fine.”

 

“And the bags under your eyes would testify to that?”

 

Remembering his lag Kris yawned deeply. Yeah... Actually I'm dying to get another head-full of sleep... “You sure are observant.”

 

“Someone has to do your job around here.” Aron smirked.

 

“How's JR?” Kris changed the subject. You don't know half of the things, Aron. You have enough on your shoulders already... my troubles would only add the weigh – I don't want you to brake. ...It's not that I want to be a burden to anyone... it just turned out this way.

 

“He's fine. He blabbered about not wanting to be the King in his sleep though.” Aron said looking at Kris, waiting for the other's reaction. “You knew this, didn't ya?”

 

“He has been like this right from the start.” Kris nodded, “But it doesn't mean that he's a bad leader. Not at all. He can lead any group of people with little effort – he just has that kind of personality, but he tends to take all the worries of the group onto his shoulders. And having a kingdom full people and their worries... well... you know how that will end for him.”

 

Aron nodded. He knew it all too well. That's why he wasn't really surprised when he heard JR mumble that line: he doesn't want to be the King; he never did. That boy is a free soul. Making him the King would be as good as cutting off a bird's wings – he would maybe survive, but his life would turn into just dwelling, to just getting by.

 

“He's a good boy. I hope you haven't scared him off.”

 

“The only thing that scares him is his own imagination. If he would remember his childhood better he would feel like home already.”

 

“Yeah... Another one who has memory problems. Not that you two could spend much time together anyway.”

 

That's another thing I don't feel like talking about... right now... But there is one thing: “So... why did you turn off the devises in the Council Room?” Aron asked in a way that made it seem like he had asked the most usual and quite an unimportant thing in the world.

 

But it made Kris's stomach go hollow. “I had my reason.”

 

“It's hard to trust you if you hold things from us, you know?” Aron stated looking at Kris – the man was certainly uneasy; he was looking down and his expression gave off that he was probably battling with his thoughts. Should he come clear or not?

 

Kris stayed silent. This wasn't the moment to tell this. He needed Tao to do half of the explaining. The Bloodhounds were good at digging up dirt, but if they became person of interest then it got a bit complicated. Let it be said that they did have some things on their conscience better to left to be untouched.

 

“Lucras wants our heads.” Aron changed the subject again. I will get this out of you...

 

“That was expected.”

 

“You're being unbelievably indifferent about this.”

 

Kris snorted. “I know,” he tried to smile but frowned instead. “I'm really trying... but I'm numb. I know I should feel something, but I can't. I'm just empty inside.”

 

“You almost died. I felt the same when...” Aron paused – it was just like tearing open an old wound again – he looked at his lap, took in a big breath and continued: “...when my parents went missing. I was totally drained from emotions. I had died on the inside. I couldn't even take proper care of Lia back then, she had to do things on her own. She had to grow up faster than others her age.”

 

“It wasn't you fault.”

 

“But... Sunhi is.” Aron said blinking his eyes and biting down onto his lip.

 

“She's fine. Aron! Listen to me: she's going to be fine. She will remember and she will be fine. You can't change what happened, but you can accept what's coming.” Kris made his thoughts clear. He felt how his energy found its way back into his body.

 

Aron nodded. “But what if it's not going to be the same way as it used to be? What if...”

 

“You have to accept that. I know it's hard, but we just... sometimes we take our beating from life, but we get up and move on. It's hard, but we have to try. We want to live.”

 

Aron stayed quiet for a little while after this. Kris didn't say anything anymore either. They thought of their own thoughts. So this is how it feels like if you walk up the mountain slope of the road of your life? It's nice to know that there will be a great big valley after this.

 

“Well then... I'll better go. The others are probably dying to know how you're doing.” Aron opened his mouth again.

 

“Oh?” Kris was a little bit disappointed that his company took his leave so soon, but looking outside: “It's getting dark already? Well then... Take good care of them.”

 

“I will. And you get well soon 'cause we need you out there.”

 

“I know,” Kris smiled, “I will. You can count on me.”

 

“Good. Bye.”

 

“Bye!”

 

Aron closed the door behind him and went downstairs. The cake makers gave him a big box full of bread and bagels – just what he actually needed as he had 8 more mouths to feed.

 

As Aron walked back home... Count on you? Are you even listening yourself? How can I count on you if I don't even know... that you're being true to us? I sure hope that this is just my imagination... Like I said: there's always been a damn good reason for all of his actions.

 


Here you go! ...and I'm still leaking of my talent... soon I will run out of it and then you will have REALLY CRAPPY updates...