It is how it is

Royal Lovestory

 


 

The cabin was dimly lit, the curtains were still hiding the bright sunlight coming from outside, two people were in the room, deep in thought. Neither of them had had a good night sleep, their minds had been too occupied to do that. Because of that it'll be harder for them to keep their emotions under control...

 

I can't let Kris go that far... What if they get killed? I can't live with that burden. Kris in the other hand...maybe.

 

Tao have had these kind of thoughts in his head for a quite some time. He was starting to have second thoughts about whether if was right to listen to Kris in the first place. It wasn't like he didn't trust his friend's ability of judgment but he still wanted to be sure about if he was doing the right thing and to his mind he wasn't.

 

„Kris, why wouldn't you just say you're through with all of this and just end it?“ Tao asked his dear friend.

„I can't. Okay? It's not that easy. I'm in too deep.“ Kris sighted.

„Why did you take that offer in the first place then?“ Tao got a bit upset.

„We've been through this for god knows how many times. I needed the money.“ Kris responded the same way.

„Oh now it is about money! Last time it was something else!“ Tao shot back.

„Just shut up. You know nothing!“

„I know nothing?! Oh, please. I see how you get every time when it comes to money. Tell me once and for all: Why in the world did you do it?! Tell me!“ Tao demanded standing up.

„I told you!“ Kris yelled with anger boiling up inside of him but then his eyes met Tao's and something in him snapped. Kris stayed silent. He had never seen this side of Tao before.

„You sold them. You sold them because of your own greediness. You're repulsive, do you know that? You disgust me to my very core.“ the black haired boy hissed.

 

Kris opened his mouth to object but nothing came out – the bitterness in his throat got the best of him. This wasn't the first time they had had this conversation and Kris knew how this was going to end. These arguments always ended the same way. The biggest fight they had back in the day really changed everything and now again it seemed like the two brothers would become their worst enemies. 

Tao sat down sighing. He didn't look at Kris, instead, his eyes burned holes into the wall on his left. He didn't want to hate his brother, but he couldn't help it. All his friends were his family and when someone from the family betrays others like his dear brother Kris did he has every right to question the latter's motives and whatever he wants to do. But what Tao can't look pass from is the fact that Kris is always right, well, at least so far it has seemed so.

After a while Tao looked at Kris who, by now, was leaning forward and holding his head in his hands. Tao could tell that Kris was troubled by this too and he should have been, because after all it was his fault.

 

„Just tell me they're going to be okay after this.“ Tao pleaded with a soft voice.

„They will.“ Kris vowed, drawing in a breath.

„I still can't believe we're doing this.“ the other went on.

„Are we starting with it again?“ the royal butler got back onto his battle position. Anger, once again, raised its head within him: „You think I don't care? You think I'm cold and arrogant? I've got news for you: I've had so many sleepless nights because of them. They're like little brothers to me. If I knew any other way I'd use it.“

Tao wanted to speak his mind but Kris didn't let him: „And I have tried to find other ways!“

 

The other just nodded in response – it was the only thing he could do at this moment.

For a while neither of the men said anything. This was a very sensitive matter for the both of them. They wanted to do the right thing but all these secrets and tension between them made it hard to get the initial plan back on track.

Of course it would be easier to just drop it and run away but they weren't like that. When they started something they'd finish it no matter what. After all they were the Bloodhounds. They were the ones people were counting on.

 

***

 

A lonely bird began to sing outside. It was quite unusual to hear a singing-bird so late into the winter. This was the first and the last time anyone had seen or heard such thing happen ever again.

 

The mood in the cabin had raised a bit thanks to the beautiful bird's song.

 

„Are you going to be okay back here?“ Kris asked.

„Yea. I'll be fine. The village people have been really nice. When we need any help in the future then we can count on them. We've been training them, too.“ Tao went along.

Kris got interested. „What kind of training?“

„The usual – attack-defense kind.  Hey! Shouldn't we train NU'EST a bit, aswell, now that they are here.“

„That's a good idea! They already have some kind of skills. But then we have to stay here for a bit longer I suppose.“ Kris scratched his nape.

„Beats me.“ Tao shrugged.

„Right...“ Kris chuckled.