Life's Challenges

Never Thought I'd Love You

Bae's POV

10:30pm. Almost close to midnight.The day I was supposed to have my date with Hyunmi. But she blew me off? How could she do that? She never cancels our dates last minute.. she always has a reasonable explanation, but this time she just said..

"I'm so sorry, but I just have some things to deal with"

What does that even mean? Deal with? It can't be schedules because the whole reason why I planned out a date was because she said she didn't have any schedules for the whole upcoming week.

And plus I miss her...

She made me so excited for nothing... how long has it been? .. a year to be exact? That I haven't seen her. Our plan was for her to come back to America to see me again but that would've been difficult to reason with her manager. Another choice was for me to fly to Korea to see her, and we agreed to meet at the park.

But the night I was packing was the night she told me the change of plans...

I shuffled in bed and stared at my nightstand. The picture frame that was glowing underneath the lamp was what caught my attention. The picture of me and Hyunmi.. our last picture together before she left me alone at the park to go off to the airport that one day.. again, another example of her giving me a last minute and unexpected news.
Then I realized my calendar posted on the wall was reflecting off the picture frame.. I got a clear image of all the days I crossed off with red marker. Those boxes with written upcoming dates with me and Hyunmi were crossed out because she always canceled them.. it's like she's avoiding me.. Is she avoiding me?

I sighed and positioned myself to lay on my back. I placed my arm on top of my forehead and closed my eyes, soon falling deeper into a blank dream.

"When will I ever get a chance to see you again?"

Hyunmi's POV
Next Morning.

Guess what I'm doing at 8am in the morning?

Yelling at my unnie to stop smacking my and forcing me to get up.

Yeah, I told her about my 'date' with Jonghyun. She insisted that I'd get up immediately and tidy myself to look presentable in front of him.. We've bonded for quite awhile now I think he wouldn't mind if I just wore sweats and a shirt for our 'date.'

"PABO! ARE YOU UP YET!?" I heard my unnie scream from outside the hallway. She started banging on my door making me groan in frustration.

"I'LL GET UP LATER! LEAVE ME ALONE!" I whined and pulled my blanket over my head. I heard my door open once again and heard angry footsteps walking towards my bed.

"Hyunmi, get up," She demanded. I shook my head 'no' against the pillow and sighed.

"Don't make me spank you again," She threatened. I turned my head to face her and saw her hand already in spanking mode. I glared at her and was about to get up but then I heard my phone ring.

♫ You're such a bad, bad, bad girl. Meow!

"... What the hell was that?" Unnie raised a brow and crossed her arms.

"My ringtone! Man Man Han Ni.. U-Kiss?" I chuckled.

She remained quiet.

"Fine.. I'll change it.." I mumbled and flopped down onto the bed again while flipping open my phone.

"Hello?" I said.

"Hyunmi! The Festival is going to start soon and I just wanted to know if you were ready!" Jonghyun said on the other line.

I looked down at myself wearing my pajamas then spoke.

"Yeah, I'm basically ready. What time will it start?"

"Six pm!" Ah! What's with the screaming!?

I glanced at my clock on the nightstand and nearly shouted from being disturbed from my sleep so early.

"JONGHYUN IT'S ONLY 8 AM AND IT STARTS AT 6 PM!" I shouted into the phone.

"Ah! What's with the screaming!?" Jonghyun complained.

"Keep your voice low! Your freakin' yells are worse than auntie's pet monkeys!" Unnie said covering her ears.

"Yeah, but I need you to be at our company early," He says.

"What!? Why!?"

"Because you need to help set up! If you don't come here early and set up then everyone will be so upset and--"

I hung up the phone and dropped it on the floor.

"Unnie, the dates not in another five trillion more hours. Let me sleep for a couple more hours then I'll get up," I tried to reason with her but she still did not accept.

"NO! Get dressed now, go out with Shinee, have the time of your life! If I come back here in the next five minutes and you're not up I'll tell the Shinee boys personal and private things about you~" She smirked.

Never once have I refused to go out and have fun... hmm..

Then the end of unnie's sentence rung back into my ears..

That's when I instantly shot up in bed and harshly moved my covers aside. I quickly ran out the door and came back inside my room in ten minutes. My unnie curiously stared at me for awhile before she spoke.

"You changed before taking a shower? You're gross, go shower," She said disgusted.

"I did take a shower! Feel my hair it's wet!" I said walking closer to her as she tugs on my hair.

"Oh what the? How'd you get ready in ten minutes?"

"I don't know, you scared me when you said you were going to tell people about my personal life, so I guess I got freaked out so much that I didn't realize I got ready so fast.."

She laughed and patted my head.

"Dongsaeng, what's there to spread about your personal life? Nothing exciting ever happened to you anyways."

"YAH! UNNIE! .. that was harsh.." I dropped my head pouting at the floor.

"I was just kidding! Sheesh. Now get ready!" She said walking out of my room.

"I DID GET READY- aigoo..." I said to myself as she shut the door in the middle of my sentence. I closed my eyes for a second and walked over to my bed. I sat down and looked at my phone that was carelessly thrown on the ground. I bent over and picked it up and decided to text someone.

To: Bae

 

Hey Bae! I really really miss you.. I'm sorry for dropping our date for the millionth time. I hope you can understand. Please reply, I miss talking to you.

 

I pressed send and fidgeted with my phone until I heard it beep. I opened it up and saw a message from Bae.

 

From: Bae

 

Of course I understand. Miss you too.

 

.. That's it? No smiley, no 'I love you', no long random text messages that go completely off topic?

To: Bae

 

I'm really sorry. Next time, I promise!

 

Then once I read his next message my heart sunk. I know why I made him upset... I'm such a horrible person!

Bae's POV

I was on my ipod reading fan fictions when I recieved a text message from Hyunmi. Oh finally! My girlfriend decides to reply back after a week.
 

From: Hyunmi

 

Hey Bae! I really really miss you.. I'm sorry for dropping our date for the millionth time. I hope you can understand. Please reply, I miss talking to you.

 

Sigh, hope I can understand? You know, it's so hard to 'understand' this whole dating situation when people can't keep promises.

She always says 'I promise, next time' and when that next time arrives she tells me 'I'm sorry! I'm busy! Hope you can ing understand!

Ok, I'm over exaggerating.. but I can't help but be frustrated by this. When will she ever have time? Is it that Jonghyun guy? Is he holding her captive or something!

I looked back at my phone and replied back carelessly.
 

To: Hyunmi

 

Of course I understand. Miss you too.

Seconds Later..

From: Hyunmi

 

I'm really sorry. Next time, I promise!

Just as I expected... another 'next time, I promise!' Say whatever you want Hyunmi.. you know next time is actually 'I'll see you when I retire from singing'

To: Hyunmi

 

Gotta go. Talk to you Later. Bye.

 

Jonghyuns POV

"Guys! The date is in one... more... HOUR!"

"Jonghyun! No one cares! Now help me put up the streamers!" Key yelled at me and shoved the roll of streamers in my hands.

We were already at this private park setting up for our SHINee Anniversary. We've been working on setting up for a good nine hours and I'm exhausted.

"Hyung, how do you turn on this lighter? I gotta light up the candles for the cake," Taemin said carefully examining the lighter as he walks over to Onew.

"You hold the top button and keep rolling this until you see fire pop out," Onew says placing sodas into an ice bucket.

Taemin was standing so close to Onew that he didn't even realize where he was pointing the lighter to.

"Oh! Like this?" He says flashing a spark of fire towards Onew's chest.

"AHH! TAEMIN WATCH OUT!" Onew widened his eyes and yelled. He slapped the lighter away, which dangerously fell on the ground.

"AHH! FIRE!" Taemin shouted and kicked the bucket of ice water on it making the drinks and ice fall out. Soon after I heard a "Tsssssk" sound.

Onew and Taemin sighed in relief. Onew spanked Taemin's head and pointed at the bucket.

"Look what you did! This time you re-fill the bucket with ice and water, I'll take care of the cake," Onew says and swiftly grabs the lighter from the ground. Taemin dragged his feet to the bucket and began placing the sodas inside. Minho randomly popped out and walked by Taemin. He stopped and turned his head towards him and started to laugh and point, which sounded more like an evil laugh. Maybe like Dracula?

I rolled my eyes at them and started to unravel the streamers. I took a glance at Hyunmi, who was helping place the chairs in a row in front of the stage. This whole morning she was upset.. she hasn't smiled since yesterday. She's been frowning more often actually which is a very bad thing.

Do you know how many muscles it takes to frown? Correct, 43 muscles! And you know how much is takes to smile?

17.

Wrinkles aren't pretty for anyone, so I suggest for Hyunmi to smile more.

I walked over to her but stopped when I saw her curse out a chair.

"AISH! STUPID CHAIR! DARE MAKE MY FINGER BLEED AGAIN I WILL FREAKIN' BREAK YOU IN HALF AND SHOVE YOU INTO A DUMP WITH YOUR OTHER LONER CHAIR FRIENDS!" She shouted and kicked the chair.

I rushed over to her to make sure she was.. okay.

"Hyunmi! Are you alright?" I asked grabbing her finger to look at it. She frustratedly scratched her head and frowned at her finger.

"Yes. I'm fine," She said while gritting her teeth. There you go again Hyunmi! 43 unrelaxed muscles must be screaming at you right now.

I chuckled and patted her head.

"You need to smile more, it makes you look prettier," I said. I stopped patting her and retracted my arm to its side when I saw her glare at me.

"Touch me again and I'll break you in half too," She coldly said and walked away from me.

I watched her as she walked away from me.. She happily skipped over to Onew hyung and started chatting with him... with a smile plastered on her face..

  1. Onew Hyung's going to get it.
  2. Hyunmi's Bi-Polar.
  3. WHAT THE HECK DID I DO!?

I started cursing to myself as I aggressively tied up the streamers around the concert stage...

One Hour Later. (During the Anniversary w/ guests)

"I think I did a GREAT job, huh?" Key said so confidently with a wide grin, admiring the festival decorations and stuff.

"No," I replied.

Everyone laughed as Key smacked my head.

"Hey I did more than you! You just put up the streamers!" Key said and looked at the hanged up streamers in disgust," It's not even pretty looking."

"Omo! Look at the streamers isn't it beautiful!?"

"How cute! The streamers make this place more lively!"

"YAY! STREAMERS ARE AWESOME! I heard Jonghyun Oppa decorated the place with them!"

For once I'll say that I love fan girls and I just want to grab one of them and hug them to shove them in front of Key's face... but hugging a stranger girl would definitely cause a riot.

"Apparently Key, everyone's admiring Jonghyun's work then your other decorations," Onew hyung laughed.

"Shut up. No one likes your food," Key glared at him.

Coincidentally, we heard guests and fans happily munching on Onew's food that he brought. We all laughed together as Key started to get frustrated.

"YOU ALL PLANNED THIS! I JUST KNOW IT!" Key said and stomped away.

We a couple more times until he all shooed us away to leave him alone. He ditched us to go talk to the B2ST members and U-Kiss. Fine Key, ditch Shinee and join Cube Entertainment instead!

I started to walk around bored until I just remembered something..

Where's Hyunmi?

I started to search for her until I heard screaming fan girls following me.. right.. I can't walk alone in private here.

"Jonghyun oppa! Take a picture with me pleeease!" One girl whined and hugged my arm. I scoffed to myself and lightly pulled myself away.

"I'm sorry, but I'm very busy," I said and continued to walk but another girl came up to me.

"Oppa~ Lets walk together, yeah?" She said and wrapped her arms around my waist. Ugh, stop me girls. Please.

I tried pulling away but I couldn't. Dang.. this girl's strong...

Then I noticed that she tried to kiss me. My eyes widened as I saw her wrap her arms around my neck and lean in towards me to kiss me. I closed my eyes and tried squirming around to run away but I couldn't!

Desperate girls! Stop your Oppa's if they don't like it! That gives you a higher chance of your idols to not talk to you ever again and give you a restraining order!

I felt her breath on my lips and screamed in my head like crazy. Soon enough, I felt the weight and pressure of that girl's grip loosen and I felt my body slump. I looked up and noticed my manger pulling her away by the ear.

"TOUCH YOUR IDOL AGAIN AND WE'LL BAN YOU FROM ALL CONCERTS!" He threatened.

And this is why I love my manager.

I rubbed my neck and continued to search for Hyunmi. I walked around carefully, hoping not to be ually harassed again, and crouched behind tables and chairs once in awhile. I quickly ran behind the stage and gasped for air. I hunched over and rested my hands on my knees to get some rest... then I heard some whimpering... more like muffled cries?

I got up and slowly walked over to the sound.. I didn't see anyone and hear anything anymore so I decided to walk away.. then I heard a sound again.

"Hey this is Bae! Sorry I can't pick up the phone right now I'm--"

I heard the voicemail box speak another time and the person hung up again. I curiously walked around and noticed a girl sitting behind the bushes of the park.. she had her knees tucked in and her head was hung low between her legs and chest.. I heard the voicemail box again..

"Hey this is Bae! Sorry I can't pick up the phone right now--"

After I heard sobbing.. Bae?.. a girl crying... missing Hyunmi. I'm guessing this girl in front me is Hyunmi?

I took baby steps towards her and kneeled down beside her.. she kept crying and I felt my heart racing.. how do I comfort a girl?

I lightly tapped her shoulder but she didn't respond.. I saw her lift her arm up to wipe her face then she wrapped it around her knees again..

"Hyunmi...," I said softly. She slowly looked up at me and I saw tears forming in her eyes again.. parts of her hair was in her face, her cheeks, eyes, and nose were red, tears kept pouring down, and she kept gasping for some air..

"Leave me alone Jonghyun.." She said with a quiet, cold tone. I just kept looking at her and she kept looking at me.. I calmly shook my head left and right and responded.

"Not until I know what's wrong," I asked.

She sniffed and pulled the hair out of her face,"If you leave now I'll stop hitting you," she said. I smiled at her and moved myself closer to her.

"You can hit me all you want until you stop crying," I assured her. She slumped her shoulders in defeat and blinked at me.

"Stop being nice and caring, I really will hit you," Hyunmi threatened.

"Hit me, then tell me your problem and I'll leave you alone," I said. Without notice she punched my stomach and I quietly grunted. I bit my lip from the pain and closed my eyes.. that actually hurt..

I heard her laugh a little. "Told you I'll hit you,"

I opened my eyes to look at her again and nodded.

"Yeah, but I didn't know it was going to be that hard.."

She chuckled and stretched out her legs. I saw her look at her phone and she kept fidgeting with it.. I took a closer look at her wallpaper, and it was a picture of her and her boyfriend Bae..

"So why were you trying to call him earlier?" I asked skipping the subject.

She sighed and closed her phone. "Because he won't talk to me.."

"Why not?" I said continuing on with the subject so she could let out her feelings.

"Because... I canceled our.. date," She said faintly..

"Cancel? Why'd you cancel?" I asked curiously. She always makes dates with Bae.. a lot.. which is why I always tell her manager our practices on those certain days. Work is more important. Personal life is hard to keep up with so might as well get her used to it.. I might sound selfish for doing that but I'm not really! I even faked the whole "Shinee Anniversary" for her to stay. That's not bad. I actually brought up a good idea for once to the company to help make Shinee more popular! Even though we're all already popular.

What I did isn't wrong... right?

She brought her head up to look at me. Fury was shown in her eyes which kind of scared me.. since.. we're sitting far away from the festival behind some bushes.. and even if I scream for help no one would probably hear me..

"Are you seriously asking me why I canceled?" She said in disbelief.

"Y-Yeah," I said slowly backing away from her.

She stood up and smacked my head.

"BECAUSE OF YOU! I MISSED LIKE THIRTY DATES WITH HIM! BECAUSE YOU JONGHYUN!" She screamed in my face and started to walk away.

Again.. WHAT THE HECK DID I DO!?

I ran up to her and grabbed her hand. She pulled away and walked again without turning back.. This time I gripped tighter on her hand making her turn around.

"Stop following me! I said leave me alone earlier didn't I!?"

"And in response to that I said I'm not leaving you until you tell me what's wrong!" I said.

She scoffed and tried pulling away but I gripped tighter. She yelped and angrily widened her eyes at me.

"I told you. I'm upset because of you! You ruined my plans with him and my personal life! I haven't realized this until this morning when I was talking to Bae. I carefully thought out why he sounded so weird, then I just knew that he was probably upset. Wanna know why? Because you always pull me back to the company to do useless practices! Because of that Bae has been ignoring me and thinking that I probably don't like him anymore! I tried calling him to tell him I was sorry and that I had to show up to this stupid festival but I guess he turned off his phone! And what made me more upset is that he NEVER turns off his phone! He always leaves it on expecting me to call him for a date!" She said breathing heavier.

I stood there and remained quiet.. I let her continue..

"Do you know our last date? The day I debuted as a singer! That's how long ago I've had a real date with him. Not just talking on the phone or dropping by to say 'Hi' for like a second. He thinks I hate him! It's hard to show him I'm still faithful when I'm locked up in this celebrity world! Sometimes I just feel like quitting and moving back to America! I hate being a singer! There's nothing great about it at all!"

I gasped to hear her last comment. Quitting?

She started to tear up again and seemed like she had a hard time breathing.. she brought both her hands up to and cried.. her eyes tightened with every drop that fell and I saw her body trembling..
I really like Hyunmi, and I was hoping she would've been with me by now.. but, I didn't know she was that in love with Bae.. I was being a stupid, selfish jerk that tried to break up a strong relationship..

I think I took this whole 'Getting Hyunmi' plan a little too far...

I stopped with my thoughts and walked closer and closer to Hyunmi.. she was still sobbing so I found it awkward just standing there watching her cry.

Without thinking anything through, and just letting my hands and feet have control, I stepped up to her and pulled her into a hug.

She was crying so much into my jacket making it soak with her tears, but I didn't care.. this is my fault so I shouldn't bother anymore with her personal life... being friends with her is just enough to make me happy... or am I just lying to myself?

I leaned in closer to her ear and whispered a simple," I'm sorry."

She took a big breath of air and made small whimpers,"You're so stupid Jonghyun.."

I closed my eyes and smiled. I rested my cheek on top of her head.

"I know."

It was getting dark, and cold which matched both of our moods.. I was upset because I knew that even if I confessed to her I'll be rejected.. she's upset because Bae's not talking to her but I'm positive he will soon..

This night, I realize that life gave me a challenge. Time to face tough love, and let me tell you it's not the easiest thing to go through. My first life challenge was family issues, and yet I still have to complete it. My second issue is love, and what if I can't complete this challenge of moving on? I dated a girl before.. and it didn't work out. I wanted to give up in relationships... the day I drove away from her house to see her with another guy was the day I crashed into Hyunmi. It's like fate but cruel fate... I thought I had a chance to simply forget about all those lovey-dovey couples, ones that resembled me and her... but fate struck me in the heart and made me meet Hyunmi, which is killing me again inside because when I thought I found 'The One' she ends up being taken... thanks life for making me have another challenge to complete.

I saw Hyunmi's head lift up and she pulled away from me. She wiped her face with the sleeves of her jacket and smiled at me.

"Thank you for comforting me," she says.

"Anytime," I replied.

"And... sorry for.. blaming you.." You shyly said and looked down at the ground.

I weakly smiled in response.

We both walked back to the festival since it was getting darker by the second... this is really killing my mood too..
So what do you want me to do, fate? You send me this girl that I adored before I met her in person. Then you give me news that she's taken... you break it off with me and her... and leave me alone with nobody to share love with..
What are you trying to tell me? Steal Hyunmi away from her boyfriend? I don't want her boyfriend to end up like me...

"I love this song!" Hyunmi exclaimed.

We both stopped walking and I looked up curiously at the stage. Someone was singing a slow love song which pained my heart a little more.. really? I talk about my break ups and love and now a love song appears on the screen?

But I love that song too.

As a friend, I might as well make this night last.

"Want to dance?" I asked holding out my hand out to Hyunmi.

She slowly turns to me and looks at my hand then at me.

"D-Dance? Now? I don't even think I can dance" She says stunned. But what's there to be stunned about?

I smiled and quickly grabbed both her hands and laced my fingers around hers. I brought both of our hands up to our shoulders and pulled us closer making us look directly at each others eyes.

"Well then, lets find out."

Listen? ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbBYJtkDrZk

The instrumental music began making me lost in the music.. as I watched Hyunmi curiously looking into my eyes I tried to gulp away my feelings.. the music made my heart beat with every lyric... the stare Hyunmi gives me just makes every inch of my body sink...

Why can't I be with you?

I was the lead in the dance. I took a slow step to the right and so did Hyunmi. I took a step back and she followed. I made us dance in a circular movement and she gracefully stepped in sync. I was surprised by her foot-eye coordination, and she says she can't dance?

I chuckled,"I guess you can dance."

She blankly looked down at her feet then back at me.

"I didn't know I could."

She furrowed her eyebrows together as it looked as if she was thinking of something.. to distract her I brought us slowly to the left. She looked up to me and our eyes just connected in an instant.. I tried looking away but I couldn't...

No, I can't like her. I officially decided to give her up and stop trying to win her. I can't ... fall for another girl..
She slowly fluttered her eyes and started to breath out of ... I felt someone's heart racing rapidly... it could've been mine.. it could've been hers... or it could've been both of ours..

We began to pick up the pace in our dance.. our eyes still in contact.. I noticed how she let go of my hands and wrapped her arms around my neck.. I automatically wrapped my arms around her waist..  I smiled at her and she smiled back.

We were really lost into the music now. I grabbed her hands and twirled her around.. she slowly wrapped back into my arms and we used the music to guide us through the dance.

We were dancing in an open field of the park, the stage was still pretty far but the music was loud enough to hear... it was me.. her.. and music.. I didn't know how strongly music can affect our minds.. I didn't even know I could dance this gracefully like this either.. I just.. kind of went along with the beats..

It seemed as if we were flowing along with the sound of the song... every twinkle heard and every piano key that played, our feet lightly hit the ground with the beat. I always thought dancing naturally came to me. When I really feel like dancing, I just let the sound take over my body and I start to dance in every movement possible.. and now that I get to share my talent along with Hyunmi's.. I feel as if I could feel her body respond the same way... her flow with the song was breathtaking... 

Hyunmi decided to twirl me around and I had some difficulty going under her arms. We both laughed as we danced. I picked her up by the waist and twirled her in the air.. I slowly brought her down as we were face-to-face again..

The music started to end and so did our dance... she wrapped her arms along my back and I hugged her waist.. she pressed her head against my chest making my heart pick up its fast beat again..

"Hyunmi," I spoke as we slowly danced.

"Hm?" She mumbled into my chest.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. The dance and the music gave me confidence to ask this..

"If you love somebody, but don't know how to start in a confession.."

She brought her face away from my chest and looked at me. I continued...

"and that person already has a different love... but you just have to tell that person your feelings.. how should you start?"

She tilted her head to the side in thought.. she puffed out a cheek and then smiled at me.

"If you really want to say something sweet to that person ..  then tell them you love them .. even though that's the most simplest most used phrase around the world .. it surely does work when you say it to the person .. and if you mean it"

She rested her head back into my chest making it look as if I was pitiful.. the girl in front of me has no clue that I'm talking about her does she?

I lowered my head and forced myself to say it to her.. even in the outside we'll look like friends.. I'll still keep it hidden between us the feelings I shared with her.

"Then I'd like to say it to you..."
 


_____a u t h o r s n o t e _________________________

Looooooooooong update. You like? (: lol. It's my apology for not updating in so long again... you wouldn't believe this past couple of weeks I went through o.o life pulled me away from AFF and that was saddening... haha

Soooo.. cliffhanger? Ish? haha! I wanted to leave it as a cliff hanger! :P

Thank you new readers that subscribed to me! (: I love that you love this story!

Btw, sorry if u get confused with this chapter! Idk why but something about it seemed confusing! ): Msg me if you're confused about anything, or just comment.

I... I... it will make sense later (: lol. The beginning of the next chapter is... well it kind of ): the person's a MOMENT RUINER.

hahahha! Well I ALWAYS RAMBLE ABOUT RANDOM STUFF!!! ):< So imma go ... ahahha

Bye! Please comment about the chapters! What do you think? Huh?