Truth

Dreaming of You

It was early when Kan awakened from a rough nights sleep. It had been hard for him to breath and his constant nightmares had kept wakening him from his slumber. Also, the fact that all his nightmares seemed to involve Raehyun disgruntled him.

 

He was forced to awaken bright and early, still feeling tired and sick, but he felt able to function. Even though his brain told him he was able to function, his body didn't seem to follow. He changed slowly, his body often getting weak from the effort of changing. Trying to be quiet so that he didn't wake his roommate was also a difficult task.

 

Finally, he made it to his own door and was ready to leave. He had no other desires but to talk to Raehyun. He already felt exhausted, but he refused to stop. Instead, he pulled his door wide open and stepped through it. His steps were weak, causing him to stumble to the ground.

 

“Kan!”

 

He looked up, finding Raehyun beside him, his eyes staring down at him in surprise. He smiled, finding the wall so he was able to find help up. Raehyun also helped him to his feet so that he was able to find his balance. Raehyun gave him a strange look before feeling his forehead.

 

“You still have a fever. You should go back to bed.” Raehyun sighed, his eyes not leaving him at all. Kan shook his head. There was no way that he would be able to sleep. There was so much he needed to tell him and so much that he had prepared to speak about. Also, he knew that he couldn't sleep with all the nightmares that haunted his sleep.

 

“I can't.” Kan quickly responded, receiving another strange look from Raehyun. He chuckled to himself, shaking his head nervously. “I'll sleep later, I just can't right now...”

 

Raehyun nodded, looking away as silence fell in between them. Kan pressed his back into the wall, feeling nervous for the first time in a very long time. He wasn't used to confrontations like this and he didn't know where to start.

 

“Do you want to go eat?” He started off slowly feeling happy when Raehyun looked in his direction again. They began to walk side by side, staying silent until they reached the cafeteria for breakfast. It was early and it was a weekend, the cafeteria was nearly empty which allowed them to enjoy their time alone.

 

They got their breakfast together, Kan making some lame joke about the hard bacon that was laying in the warmer. Raehyun laughed all the same which began to lighten up the atmosphere. It wasn't much longer before they were sitting in a corner of the cafeteria where no one else could overhear their conversation.

 

Breakfast started off slowly, the two of them only eating and exchanging awkward glances with each other for the longest time. Finally, Kan felt as though he was ready and he knew if he ate anymore he was going to be sick. So he moved in a position where he wouldn't have to look at anyone but at Raehyun.

 

“I need to tell you something so just hear me out before you say anything.” Kan watched as Raehyun nodded understanding. He sighed, bowing his head as he started.

 

“It started when I was really young. I didn't know any better, but all I wanted was my parents to be home. It was a really scary night. The storm was so bad that the wind was making weird noises along with the thunder and lightening. I begged them to come home...”

 

Kan paused, taking a quick sip of water. Recalling the memories weren't easy.

 

“My parents never made it home, but rather they had crashed into another car because of the rain. I had never witnessed anything like their funeral and it was scary. I didn't understand a lot of it except that they were gone. People hated me too. Especially my sister and grandparents. They didn't even want to look at me.”

 

He shook his head, closing his eyes as he remembered the painful rejection he received from his family. He took a deep breath, starting to continue again.

 

“Anyway, they put me in an orphanage. They wanted no part of my life and apparently no other family did either. However, I did meet a really good friend while I was in the orphanage. He got me to forget about a lot of the pain that I felt and a lot of the horrible memories. He was the only one who didn't see me as a murderer. Even the people at the orphanage didn't really look out for me, knowing that I had caused my parent's death. My friend became the only person I could depend on.”

 

Kan looked up, daring to meet Raehyun's eyes for a few seconds. He gave a sad smile, happy that Raehyun wasn't giving him a distasteful look. He decided to continue, knowing they wouldn't be able to move further if he wasn't truthful.

 

“Right before entering high school, my best friend left me. I had been really depressed and had often thought about suicide. I wanted nothing more but to leave this cruel world. He had been the only person I followed and after he was gone I felt lost. I felt as though no one would miss me anyway. I wanted to jump off that building as if it was beyond my own will.”

 

Kan hesitated again, looking up to the man who was listening intently to his story. He smiled, remembering the past as if it were only yesterday.

 

“I don't think you remember, but you...you saved me that day. You pulled me cleanly from the edge of the building. Hah! You even had the audacity to yell at me. If it hadn't been for you, I wouldn't be here now though. I never got to say thank you...so thank you. And I think I'm beginning to learn what you meant that day. About life being precious...”

 

There was a moment's of silence. Kan half expected Raehyun to say something, but instead he only received a look of astonishment. This forced him to move on with his story.

 

“After that, I decided I needed to move on and work for myself. I had found that I really liked to dance so that is what I wanted to do. That is why I wanted to go to school here while working part time. When I got here, everyone left me alone because they didn't know me. However, after I started to make a name for myself through my dance and other things...people began to follow me. It was something I wasn't used to and something that I hated. They were people who didn't know me. I thought you were one of them.”

 

Kan didn't look up. Instead he regretted ever thinking that Raehyun was just like the people who had blindly followed him.

 

“Those people had caused a lot of problems for me. Even caused problems with the school. I thought you would do the same thing if you started to follow me. I knew who you were, but I couldn't say thank you and I definitely couldn't approach you. It was something I had never been able to do. I regretted yelling at you too. I knew you didn't deserve it, but something just forced it out of me. I think I got fed up at trying to hide...hide everything about my life. It was something that you were going to reveal anyway.”

 

Kan sighed, lifting his head. Raehyun was smiling at him although his eyes only seemed to be filled with sadness. Kan decided to leave out a few minor details such as the bullying, the constant taunts by his family and the places that had nearly killed him for a little bit of money. He figured Raehyun didn't need the full details, as long as he got what he was trying to say.

 

“I...” Raehyun was about to speak when he was suddenly cut off. Jinon had slapped Kan hard on the back while Yejun quickly took a seat with his tray full of food.

 

“Why didn't you two tell us you were going to have a date?!?!?”