Blind

Dreaming of You

He could feel the gentle touches of someone pulling his hair. It was lulling him back to sleep, but he knew he couldn't. He knew he would have to face what had happened. He would have to open his eyes and see that his future was going to be black.

 

Raehyun stayed perfectly still, knowing his brother was beside him. He was the one who had taken care of him the most. The one who had understood his feelings and fears. The one who had pushed his parents into allowing him to attend a different school.

 

"Raehyun, I know you are awake." His hyung finally broke the silence, the soothing pull of his hair coming to a stop. He still stayed silent, not knowing what to do or what to say. However, his body gave an involuntary shiver down the course of his body. A few seconds later, he could feel the familiar warm arms surround him.

 

"You are scared. I understand that, but you can't pretend I'm not here forever." The whisper only spoke of a truth he didn't want to realize. He forced himself to turn over, taking a shaky breath as he did. His brother quickly took his hand.

 

It was a few more minutes before he bravely opened his eyes. Tears spilled out immediately when he recognized the familiar white lights of a hospital. His stopped as soon as his brother grabbed his arms painfully tight.

 

"What is it? Can you see? You can see me right?"

 

He nodded, looking down. He still wasn't happy. The reason why he hadn't been able to see, and knowing that Kan never wanted to see him still stung. He wished he had never heard those words that Kan had shot at him. The feeling of disappointment firmly sinking in.

 

"But you don't look happy. Why? What happened?"

 

His brother sank back into his own seat, waiting for an answer. Raehyun sighed, looking at the pasty white walls of the hospital room. He knew he wouldn't be able to speak about it.

 

"It's that boy, isn't it?" He was surprised, but refused to turn to his brother. Refused to acknowledge the truth. "He hurt you, didn't he? You don't have to hide anything from me. I've known for a while why you wanted to attend that school. I knew it was because of him."

 

He felt like whining and throwing a tantrum. It wasn't fair that his brother knew him too well.

 

"Come with me. Move to the states with me. They have doctors that can help you and I can enroll you in a good school."

 

He turned quickly, finally meeting his brother's eyes. He wasn't sure what to say. He was scared to leave, scared to lose everything he knew, but he was also scared to go back to school. He was scared to face all the questions and to face Kan again...

 

He remembered the words that Kan had thrown at him.

 

"I hate you. I hate that you follow me around. I hate that you look at me like that. Why don't you just leave? This school doesn't need someone to waste their talents by following someone like me. Go find someone else...I don't have time for you."

 

He felt the tears well up in his eyes, knowing that this choice would be better for him.

 

"Ok. I'll go with you."

 

It hadn't even been close to ten minutes later. Ten minutes after he had shouted at Raehyun that he regretted it. He knew exactly why he had such a bad attitude, and he knew that nothing could have prevented his outburst from happening. He stared out at the dark, gray sky that seemed to be crying as well.

 

He turned away from the window, set on finding Raehyun. He wasn't sure if Raehyun would even look at him, but he needed to do this. He wanted to walk through the dorm lobby, but was brought to a halt. It seemed like the entire school had frozen, staring at a single stretcher.

 

He narrowed his eyes, focusing on the stretcher. He felt like he was being choked as he saw the familiar body laying on the stretcher. He tried to break through the crowd, but one of the teachers quickly grabbed him from go any further. He could only stare, pale-faced, as Raehyun was pushed quickly towards an ambulance.

 

Only after the ambulance did everyone seem to come back to life and flee from the lobby. They all talked about Raehyun, rumors quickly spreading throughout the entire school.

 

He was surprised to find Daegun only a few feet away, a death glare set in his direction. He took a few quick steps closer, opening his mouth to demand answers. He never would have thought that the freshman would grab him.

 

"What did you do to him? WHAT DID YOU DO?"

 

He was speechless. Even as he felt the push against his chest, he couldn't react. Everything he had feared seemed to be coming true. To hurt the people around him. To hurt the people who cared most about him...he feared that the most.

 

That is why he hadn't been able to allow anyone close to him. For anyone to follow him the way Raehyun had. He knew that he actually appreciated Raehyun to an extent that he didn't wish for him to be hurt. Now, it seemed to be too late. It seemed whatever he did, he would hurt those around him.

 

"What's wrong? What is wrong with him?"

 

"He is dying. Murderer..." The words hit him, terrifying him to the very bone. He hadn't heard the familiar name-calling in quite a while. He stumbled backwards, never imagining that Daegun could be lying. Instead, he turned and fled from the dorm and raced all the way to the hospital.

 

He fell against the front desk, panting. He was sure he scared the secretary half to death, but he couldn't care anymore. He had to see for himself. Had to see what was wrong and what he could do.

 

"Kim Raehyun. Where is he?"

 

The secretary quickly looked up the name, before staring at him once more with wide and frightened eyes.

 

"Room 102."

 

He raced once again through the halls, slowing down only when he recognized a familiar boy walking his way. He stopped dead in his tracks once Raehyun saw him, the man beside him quickly stepping in front.

 

"Leave him alone." The man said, his eyes glaring towards him.

 

"I...I can't. I need to know...what is wrong."

 

"You don't need to know anything. Let's go."

 

Raehyun and the man took slow steps toward him, but he refused to let them pass.

 

"Please! I...I can't let you go knowing you could die."

 

"Don't say anything Raehyun. Remember you are going to America with me."

 

"America?" The single word shot through Kan's heart, suddenly feeling numb.

 

"I'm leaving school." Raehyun bowed his head, staring at the ground. Kan fell to his knees, catching the attention of Raehyun and the man beside him.

 

"Don't. Don't go."