Lunch Date

A Song Calling For You


Calculating and accumulating the carry marks for all the tutorial tasks she gave her students, she heard a knock on the door.


“Come in.”


The door creaked open but she did not look up, “Yes, who are you searching for?”


“Noona…”


The voice, the word, made her stop from what she was doing and looked up.  A smiling face at the door brightens up her mood and she mirrored back the same action at him. 


“Hyung Jun ah…what a pleasant surprise.”


“Noona…you are alone?  Where are the other tutors?”


“They are having class right now.  Come in…come in…So, what brings you here?” she asked, gesturing Hyung Jun to sit in front of her.


“Well, you keep pestering me about not visiting you, so, here I am.  Taking some time from my busy schedule just for you…see how important you are to me?” said Hyung Jun, making a cute face at her.


“Hahaha…arasso.  So, are you ready for your finals next week?”


Hyung Jun pouted and made a dissatisfy look, “Noona…I’m here to see you and you’re asking me about the finals…”


“Hahahaha…so, you haven’t prepared?  Want me to tutor you?”


Hyung Jun’s face brighten up, “Noona, will you?  Please?”


“I know you have something in mind when out of the blue you dropped by to visit me.  Well, we are of different course but I think I could teach you on the general subjects.  Come to my house tomorrow, okay?  You guys will hold the gigs until after the finals right?”


“Emm…hyung said that since 3 of us are students, we should give priority to our studies first but we should still practice on weekends, just to keep in shape.”


Yoon Jae nodded.  Actually she was the one demanded him to stop with their activities for the time being.  Even though he’s a good student and would obviously have no problem in acing his papers, he shouldn’t make the other two sacrifice theirs.  But she knew, even without her asking him to do so, he would have done the same.  He cares for his group members.


“So, noona…should we go now?”


“Huh?  Go?  Where?” she asked, startled by the question.


“Noona…you are daydreaming?  Aissh…you are just like our leader.  You two have so much in common that I feel the both of you should just go out together.”


Hearing those words, her heart jumped up and down.  In between the awkwardness she felt, she managed to fake out a laugh.  The truth was, after they agreed to be in a relationship, she made Hyun Joong promised her to keep it a secret until the semester was over and that she was no longer his tutor, and that includes her family and their friends.

And as the semester was nearing to the end, she was feeling excited and anxious to finally able to get the cat out of the bag. She hated being secretive especially to her one and only dearest brother.


“So, where exactly you want to take me?” she asked Hyung Jun as she didn’t listen to him a while ago.


“Lunch…you, buy me lunch,” said the grinning boy in front of her, “because you love me…right, my sister?”


She laughed at his antic aegyo act when he wanted something from her.   Looking at the papers in front of her that she needed to finish up, she made a request, “For me to treat you, you have to help me.  Can you please read the marks for me?  So that I could key them in the system faster?”


“For free lunch…anything noona.”


“Aisshhh…this kid,” she chuckled as she shoved him the papers in front of her to the edge of her table, “take that chair and get to work.”


She punched in the marks read by Hyung Jun, eager to finish the work fast since she had other work she had to focus on later like her own research.  In a month time, she had to present her findings to her supervisor and there are still a lot more she had to do.


“Wow!  Noona, hyung’s marks is really impressive.  He really is a genius,” exclaimed Hyung Jun as he read the marks of Kim Hyun Joong to her, “you must have helped him a lot.”


Hearing the statement, she stopped her task and turned to glare at Hyung Jun.


“I’m not bias.  I didn’t help him more than my other students.”


“Noona…that is not what I meant.  Why are you angry at me?” pouted Hyung Jun, unsatisfied by her tone.


That shocked Yoon Jae.  She didn’t realize she was that defensive when people said anything about Hyun Joong’s marks.  ‘This is why I didn’t want other people to know about my relationship with him.


“Hyung Jun, noona am sorry.  Let’s forget about this and just go for lunch?  Okay?” she said, trying to make up with Hyung Jun for her sudden snapping at him.  And lucky for her, it worked.  The younger boy nodded eagerly with his ear-to-ear smile pasted on his face.


She saved her work and closed down her laptop’s monitor.  Taking her bag from her first drawer, she got up and walked towards Hyung Jun who has already standing, waiting for her.  Busily smiling at him, she didn’t even notice the laptop’s battery charger wire entangled at her feet and tripped.  And as if tripping was not bad enough, she had to fall straight into Hyung Jun and made the both of them landed hard on the floor with her being on top of him.


“Noona…arrgghhh…heavy, heavy…kwaenchana?”


Her head was resting on Hyung Jun’s chest when she opened her eyes.  Lifting her head and realizing what had happened, she turned to her back to see the condition of her laptop.  She was glad the laptop was still on the table and that only the wire hooked out from it.  Feeling relieved that her work are still safe, she lay down her head back at his chest with a smile spread across her lips, still unaware of the situation she’s in. 


“DOOM!”


Startled by the sound, she looked up and moved her sight to the door where the sound came from.  No one was there.  Confused, she turned her gaze back to the front, facing the face of the boy she was on top off.


“Argghh…Hyung Jun!  What are you doing?”


“Noona, please... get up…heavy…hurt…can’t breathe.”


Laughing, she got up and punched his chest lightly.  “Yaa!  I am not heavy!” 


Standing up and put out her hand to Hyung Jun who was still lying on the floor, she apologized, “Sorry, Hyung Jun ah.”


Hyung Jun took her hand and slowly stood, “Kwaenchana?” he asked her.


She nodded her head, “Emm…you?”


“I think my ribs cracked…”


“Hyung Jun ah…”


“Hahaha….noona…just joking.  I’m okay.  But for this, you have to treat me kalbi (barbeque beef ribs).”


“Arasso…kaja.”


The both of them made their way out of the room and as she locked the door, Hyung Jun helped to crease her pants that were dirtied by the fell as she helped him with the back of his shirt and jeans when she was done with the door.  They laughed and walked off towards the direction of the car park as a pair of eyes watched them off from behind, hidden by the wall.