Sorry

A Song Calling For You

It’s Wednesday. She glanced at her watch. The number 11.50 appeared on her digital watch. In another 10 minutes her Audio Mixing class will commence. Copying the file she made for the tutorial exercise she planned to give later on in class, she grabbed her files and the attendance list, and went out of her room towards her class.

I am not going to let him bother me anymore. He can do whatever he wants in class. I am not going to be bothered,’ she made a mental note to herself when she thought about the one student she have in that particular class that really annoyed her.

Walking into her class, she smiled and greeted the students. Scanning around the class, she noticed at the far end of the room, a head was on the table, sleeping. She knew who it was, ‘Huh! Sleeping again! At least this time around he’s not late!

She took the attendance, skipping that particular student’s name; getting some confused looks from a few students but she ignored them and proceeded on with the tutorial example before asking the students to download the file she made before for their exercise of the day.

“From the file, try to separate the background sound and the noise. Eliminate that noise and topped that with your own digital song. It doesn’t need to be rhymed or in beat with the background sound. I am going to assess only on the noise elimination and your own digital song on top of the original sound. You only have until the end of the class to submit them to me by copying your file to my thumb drive. Is there any question?”

She looked around for any hands up but she saw none. That was when she realized the student she tried to ignore at the back of the class was staring straight at her. His expression was somewhat a mixture of surprise and confused. And she knew that the same expression was also now pasted on her face.

Why is he staring at me? What’s with that expression?

She quickly dismissed the question and looked away, making her way from one student to another, monitoring their work and helped out when she saw the student looking somewhat confounded on what they should do to complete the exercise given by her. Slowly, she took her time making her rounds, trying to make her last resort, his station dragged as late as she could. All the while, she could clearly felt the piercing eyes daggered straight at her. She hated the feeling being watched like that and tried really hard to suppress her anger and discomfort.

She managed to use up about 45 minutes on her rounds before coming to the last student. The one she loathed to be with but she knew it was her job to help all the students and not to discriminate any one of them no matter how she felt about them personally. When she came to him, the boy was looking at her but this time around, he had on a blank expression.

“Have you finished with the exercise, Kim Hyun Joong-sshi?”

The boy nodded his head a little. His eyes never left her. Ignoring him, she took out her thumb drive from her left side pocket of her cardigan, inserted it inside the USB slot.

“Copy your file to the thumb drive. Once you have completed, you may leave the class early. Unless you have anything else you wanted to do while waiting for the class to end.”

The boy opened his mouth a little, somewhat like he was trying to utter out something to her but closed them back after awhile, looking unsure. He then looked back at his computer and did as what she told him to do, copying the file to her thumb drive.

“It’s done,” she heard him said after ejecting the thumb drive and handed it back to her. She looked at him, nodded and took the device back before turning around to continue looking at the other student’s work.

“Mianhae.”

She heard the slow, almost inaudible words coming from behind her that made her stopped on her tracks and glanced back over her shoulder. From the corner of her eyes, she saw him sighed and packed his belongings. His gesture confuses her.

Is he apologizing to me? Wae? I’m confused. Aah…whatever,’ she made her decision to just brushed off the situation and continue her task as a tutor.

She made her stop 2 desk away from him and watched the work progress of the student when she noticed him walking by her, hesitating a bit when he was near her, as if he wanted to say something but again, he kept his silence and walked off.

15 minutes afterward, the class ended and she went to each computer to copy all the files before dismissing the students. Checking to see that all computers had been shut down and no one was left in the room, she took her stuff and exited the room, locking the room up. Walking back towards her room to leave her belongings before going out to the cafeteria for lunch, she was startled to see the least likely person waiting by her room, reading a manhwa while leaning on the wall next to the door.

She approached him, “Yes, Kim Hyun Joong-sshi. May I help you?”

Looking up at her from his manhwa, blinking his eyes, she heard him said, “Can I talk to you for a while?”

With him standing close to her and on the outside natural lighting, she couldn’t help to notice how flawless his skin was and how big his eyes were. Not to mention that he really was a head taller than her. “Okay. Come on in,” she said, trying to open the door to her room.

“No, it’s okay to just talk here. The other tutors are inside.”

She gave him a confused look, ‘Is this going to be some sort of a secret?

“The thing is that, I’m really sorry how I acted last week in your class.”

Well, this is a surprise. That means he was actually apologizing about this before in the class? But still, why can’t he just say it with other people around?

“Oh, okay. I accept your apology. Let’s us start afresh, okay?”

“Kamsa hamnida and I need to tell you that sometimes I would be like that when my battery worn out but the brain is still active to control the movement of the body. I don’t actually recalled what happen last week, but my classmate told me I fell asleep throughout your class. Mian hamnida,” he said and walked off, leaving her dumbfounded with what he just told her.

He’s sorry for something he doesn’t remember and warned me that he would do it again in the future? Battery worn out? What is he? A robot? That guy is weird.

She smirked and shook her head, disbelieved by his words. Yoon Jae turned around at the direction Kim Hyun Joong left and watched his back as he disappeared behind the wall. Her hand grabbed the door handle and turned them in order to open the door as she turned back to her previous direction.

“Annyeong…”

“Annyeong Yoon Jae. Done for today? Let’s head to the cafeteria. I’m famished. Oh, by the way, did you meet someone outside? He was looking for you. Very good looking. Your boyfriend?”

“Rika! He’s a student! Not any student…he is the student that I told you about!”

“Oh! The rude and brilliant one that got the scholarship. Yoon Jae ah…you’re so lucky to have a good looking guy in your class. A real eye candy. I wouldn’t mind if he is in my class.”

“You’re always looking after cute, good looking guys…if I could trade him with you, I would have. Come on…enough talk about him already. Let’s have lunch.”

Once she was done with lunch, she went back to her room alone since Rika had to go to the bank and she doesn’t felt like waiting around doing nothing while waiting for her. She opened her laptop and started to download all the exercise files from her thumb drive into her laptop. Then she opened the files to assess them.

Some of the work the students did was quite good but some were really messy that even the noise was still able to be heard even after the digital song had been added in. Going back to the folder where the files were grouped at, she noticed that the next file on the list was Kim Hyun Joong’s. She wondered how he would score since he was the first to submit his work. Clicking on the file to play it, she was surprised at the quality of the song. The noise was completely nonexistence and more than what she had expected, the new added song had a real catchy beat to it. But what most surprised her was his voice and the lyric he sang.

I'm sorry I'm bad, I'm sorry you're blue
I'm sorry about all the things I said and do
And I know, I can’t take it back.

It's never too late to make it right
Oh yeah

Sorry