Sister

A Song Calling For You

He merely managed to get into the number 1215 bus after his part-time work ended that night for his band practice. Catching his breath as he climbed up the stairs of the bus, he eyed around for a free seat. His eyes stopped on a familiar face at the second last seat beside the window. A pair of eyes and a warm smile set on him that made him smiled back as he walked towards the empty seat beside his band mate, Heo Yong Saeng.

“You just got back from work? Overtime?” he asked as he made himself comfortable on the seat, based on the office attire Yong Saeng wore.

Yong Saeng just nodded and smiled. Seeing his friend, it triggered something in his mind. He took his bag and laid them on his lap. ping the bag, he noticed the curious glance given to him by his band’s lead singer. A small, thin smile formed on his lips. Putting his hand in the bag, he took out a small black plastic bag and handed them to Yong Saeng.

“For you. Fried chicken in sesame sauce. I saw the stall on the way to the bus stand and it reminded me of you. It’s your favorite food.”

Yong Saeng smiled widely and his eyes sparkled. Hyun Joong chuckled at the reaction he got from his friend. He had known Yong Saeng from middle school. Though they lost contact as he changed high school, he never thought he’d be able to meet him back at Seoul, just from the streets. Probably that was fate. He was not sure but he was happy to be able to reconcile with an old friend when he was just new in the city. Their relationship would seem to be awkward and cold by others but from the rest of the band members, he was closest and at ease with Yong Saeng. They have their own way of communicating and they just understand each other.

He watched as Yong Saeng untied the plastic bag and peeked at the content. The sweet smell of the sauce filled their nostrils and he saw the excitement and hunger in Yong Saeng’s eyes. ‘His making his cute, child-like expression again, resembling a boy who just received a new toy. If we ever get the chance to debut, he would absolutely attract many female fans with his princely act during performance and they would absolutely fell for his out of guard expression like this’, Kim Hyun Joong thought to himself.

“Is it okay if I eat them now?” Yong Saeng asked, his face hopeful.

He chuckled. He knew exactly what was in Yong Saeng’s mind at that moment.

“You may eat later. That’s just for you. You don’t have to share them with the others. I bought another bag for them.”

Hearing his words, the face in front of him lit. He saw Yong Saeng grinned as he looked intently at the food and with a deep breath, Yong Saeng inhaled the scent before tying the bag again, holding tight to it as if it was the most treasured thing for him. They didn’t utter another word to each other afterwards and made their way to Jung Min’s shop in silence but he could see the eagerness in Yong Saeng’s eyes to be able to reach their destination as fast as possible just by the way Yong Saeng gripped at the plastic bag.

They made their way inside the shop as usual. Yong Saeng went in first, humming happily as he hugged the bag in his arms. Hyun Joong can’t help laughing at the childishness as he followed from behind. Closing the door behind him and turning around to lock the door, he heard the chaos sound from behind. Obviously the others are complaining and making a big fuss over the food as Yong Saeng would absolutely held onto the bag as if his life depended on it.

“Hyung! Don’t lock the door. I’m expecting someone.”

Hyun Joong turned around to the voice, a bit startled by the sudden exclamation. It was Jung Min. He nodded and returned back to his previous position, looking at the locked door. ‘He could at least tell me sooner. Who would he expect to come at this hour?’ he grumbled in his head while unlocking the shop’s main door again. Making his way to the back, he was approached by Hyung Jun.

“Hyung…Yong Saeng hyung won’t share.”

He looked over at the corner of the room and saw Yong Saeng sitting with his back facing them, enjoying his favorite food alone. Chortling, he faced Hyung Jun and messed up his hair. Taking out the other plastic bag from his bag, he handed it to him, “Don’t disturb him anymore. Let him eat his food. This is for the rest of you.”

“Yeay! Food!! Hyung, you’re always favoring Yong Saeng hyung. I’m the youngest! You’re supposed to spoil me!” pouted Hyung Jun, taking the bag from him.

Hearing the words, Hyun Joong sneered and kept hold on to the bag. “If you don’t want them, I’ll eat with the others.”

“No, no…Hyung is very kind to all of us. You’re my brother…”said Hyung Jun, smiling brightly, trying to cover his panic feeling over the fact he was about to lose the food. Seeing Hyung Jun’s expression, Hyun Joong let out a small laugh. He loved to tease the baby of the group. Letting go of the bag, he walked towards the end of the room where his guitar was placed and put down his bag near the casing of his guitar.

As he opened the casing and looked at his guitar, he heard the exchanged communication between Hyung Jun, Kyu Jong and Jung Min.

“So, who’s coming over?” asked Kyu Jong.

“My sister.”

“What? Nuna is coming over? Why didn’t you say so earlier? I would have worn something cooler.”

From the voice, he knew it was Kim Hyung Jun. Hyun Joong remembered how he came to know about Jung Min. Hyung Jun was the one asking him whether he would want to be in band. He told him about how he and his childhood friend wanted to form a group. Since Hyun Joong had told him that he played the guitar, he wanted him to be in. Hyun Joong was skeptical at first, but after the meet with Jung Min, he realized that they are quite good in music and decided to join. Kyu Jong came afterwards as they were making auditions for the drummer and lead singer. They didn’t find a good lead singer though so during rehearsals, Jung Min and Hyung Jun would sing. Not until a few weeks afterwards, Hyun Joong bumped into Yong Saeng on the streets of MyungDeong, on the way back from meeting a potential client.

He kept in touch with Yong Saeng afterwards and had a drink together, reminiscing the middle school memories. It was from there that he got to know that Yong Saeng was working at his uncle’s insurance company as a management trainee. Remembering how Yong Saeng was a good singer at school, he asked him to come to one of their practice nights. It was there that the rest of the band members decided to take in Yong Saeng as their lead vocal. And now, here they are together, 6 months and a half as a complete band.

“So, you had a crush on Jung Min’s sister all these while?”

Yong Saeng’s voice snapped him out of the flashbacks he was having. He took his guitar out of the casing and tuned it while his ears are still on the conversations. Hyun Joong liked to act as if he was uninterested but normally, he was really curious about everything that was going on in his band. He doesn’t know how he ended becoming the leader of the band but he was really into it. He cared a lot about his group and all the members. Though they have only know each other in less than a year, but the relationship between them are really close. They really care and support one another. So, for the first time knowing that Jung Min had a sister was making him really eager to know more.

“Hyung, ignore that guy. My sister never sees him more than his brother’s weird friend.”

“Why you?!! I’m weird? I’m weird because I am your friend for way too long.”

“So what? Who asked you to continue being my friend?”

Though he tried to ignore the two, he could really picture the two bickering over some lousy reason. ‘Tom & Jerry have started…

“Nuna…”

“Jung Min ah…I’m here.”

The new conversation alerted him. He stopped tuning his guitar and looked up. Turning around, he tried to catch a glimpse of the visitor. But the others are circling her that made it hard for him to see anything while sitting down on the floor. He put down his guitar back to its casing and stood up. He was afraid of strangers but he felt as the band’s leader he should at least greet the sister of his band mates. Walking slowly towards the crowd, he finally caught sight of her. And that made him froze in his steps.

‘It can’t be…