Chapter 5: Dragged away

War

 

KAMIN
 
"Eomma? Eomma? Haneul, she is awake!" I arose to the blinding sunlight that filtered into the dusty room, showing little specks of dust dancing above our heads. 
 
I heard footsteps coming closer and upon her coming close, I found a tired looking Haneul staring at me with worried eyes. 
 
"Haneul... Where are we?" I barely managed to utter a few words through my dry lips. 
 
"Water, Ka eul," she held a small water bottle to my lips as I drank up, the cool water flowing down my dry throat. 
 
"Eomma," she held my hand as I sat up,"we are in the bomb shelter and..." 
 
She jumped as the door flung open to reveal a man with a bushy mustache, his voice booming," get down and shut your mouths or get killed." He a sharp blade with his big hands, slashing the air with a few quick flicks of his hand. We scrambled down, not daring to look up.  I stole a glance at the man's actions as he headed for the other direction.
 
He came closer, closer to a girl of probably only twenty years of age," what are you staring at? This baby of mine?"He chuckled, his low laughter echoing through the minuscule bomb shelter." want to give it a try?" He held the girl's chin up with a commanding finger, clearly deriving pleasure from her continuous trembling. 
 
"Please... Please spare me." she struggled as he moved the blade to . 
 
"Spare. You. This weakling?" he taunted as he pressed the knife closer to . She whimpered in pain as a small cut formed on her small throat, with tiny drops of blood forming," please. Please."
 
Her eyes closed as her tears started falling.  
 
"Stop! Stop it." My voice croaked, breaking the dead silence of the bomb shelter as I stumbled up, walking towards the man. He narrowed his eyes at me, his attention diverted. His bloodshot eyes now stared at me, as if penetrating through my soul. 
 
"Eomma, no..." Ka eul whispered, tugging at my hand. I stumbled towards the man, feeling the many pairs of eyes staring at me in admiration but in apprehension. The room hushed to a deadly silence as the man's eyes bore into mine. 
 
"Wanna play the hero, eh?" He chuckled, his knife glinting under the sunlight that filtered through the small shutters of the window. He brandished his knife as he walked towards me, a sly smile playing on his lips. 
 
"A pretty maiden like you shouldn't suffer death. What about I bring you to my captain and we could have a little fun?" A laugh escaped his lips as he grasped my wrist with his strong hands. Struggling to get out of his grip only provided further entertained him as he roared with laughter. 
 
"Get away from my MOMMY!" Haneul cried as she ran forward, only to be pushed away forcefully by the other burly-looking men standing by the side.
 
"Looks like there is too much distraction here," he gripped my hand as he advanced towards the door, which no longer acted as a door with its hinges broken off, dragging me behind him. I could only wince in pain as my wound scraped against the sandy floor.