Chapter 2: Fighting for her

War

BAEKHYUN

 

"Go,go, go! To your positions now. " I shouted as explosions were heard. Jet aircrafts zoomed above us, seeming to mock us. The North Koreans had long been planning for this attack. We had predicted them to come attack us but I was personally taken aback as they started to plant bombs into South Korea. 
 
"Jongin, Jongdae. Get into the Sherman tank and standby."
 
"Take the whole lot of the Browning Automatic 5. Remember to take them all. They have only 5 bullets so use them wisely." I gave last reminders to the soldiers.
 
"The pilots are in their positions already and have already taken off. Hopefully, they can wipe out most of north korea's jets." Suho, the pilot commander's voice came on through the Walkie talkie.
 
 " Roger that."
 
Soldiers scurried past me as they scrambled to their positions, holding rifles by their sides. "Yah, byun," Minho, second-in-command whispered as he settled next to me by the bushes ,passing me a few Mk 2 grenades," stay alert. I know that you are worrying about them. Don't worry. They will be fine." His voice was lower than you, barely audible with the sounds of the enemy near.
 
I sighed, looking down at the golden ring on my ring finger. Kamin, where are you? Are you safe? My mind flashed back to the very night when I told her I had to leave for war. She had clung on to me, crying. It hurt to see her like this but I had to fulfill my duty to our home. As commander, I could not abandon my troop of soldiers. 
 
"But as a husband, can you abandon us?" she had asked tearfully,on the verge of breaking down.
 
I sighed, holding her small hands in mine. "Kamin, please. Don't make this so hard for me. You know I have to go. I am not only going to the frontline to defend the country, but I am going out there to brave whatever may come for you and this family. I will be defending not only Korea, but you and our two children." I kissed her fingers tenderly as I gazed into her eyes for the last time. I really wondered whether I would even be able to gaze into those pair of soulful eyes again. 
 
"Be strong, Kamin." Be strong. 
 
"Baekhyun, get down!" Minho hollered as he pushed me down onto the ground as missiles came spiraling towards us. We scrambled to the next point, our faces now covered with a layer of dust and mud. 
 
My heart thumped, my chest heaving up and down as I ran beside Minho. We ran side by side as more explosions were heard. The forest. He mouthed, gesturing to the clumps of trees by the side. I nodded and we headed towards different directions, where we promised to meet at the hidden cove behind the trees.
 
I bolted to the left as Minho disappeared among the trees, him camouflaged in green uniform just like everyone else. I ran light-footed, avoiding the protruding branches skillfully. Slowing down as I reached the heart of the forest, I paused to catch my breath. A rustle of leaves startled me. Advancing towards the source of the sound, I gripped the trigger of my RM1903 firmly as I went closer and closer to the branches of the trees.