Light at the end of the tunnel

War

 

 
The war was officially over. Loud cheers and screams came from survivors while sad sobs and cries were heard upon the loss of a loved one. A young man and a young lady walked side by side, her arm around his shoulder for support, as they walked from a hidden hideout deep in the woods to the bomb shelter where the last of the survivors stayed. 
 
What if they aren't there? She whispered as trepidation came over her. What if her children had died and had long departed? What if...
 
It would be okay. He assured her as they approached the bomb shelter. He opened the door slowly, facing a sea of children. Hopeful eyes turned to them as they stood, momentarily dumbstruck. 
 
"Haneul? Ka eul? Are you there?" She shouted, her voice echoing all around the bomb shelter. There was silence before two familiar voices came responding back.
 
"Eomma! Appa!" Two children came bounding towards the couple, running into their open arms. Happy tears fell to the floor as they embraced, thankful for the family reunion. 
 
I told you they would be fine. He smiled, kissing his wife's lips gently as they walked out, heading for a brighter, better future. 
 
The war is over and there is light at the end of the tunnel.