Chapter 1: Staying strong

War

 

KAMIN
 
A siren blared from a distance. I looked up from my praying. One. Two. Three. A siren that lasted for three seconds. Two children to get. One word. Help.
 
My heart palpitated as I ran out of my room. "Haneul! Ka Eul! Quick, quick." I screamed at the top of my lungs, struggling to have my voice heard above the blaring sound of the death call. 
 
"Eomma?" They ran out of their room, fear ostensible in their large orbs. Haneul was of a sensible age of 12.She was a sensible daughter who knew what to do in any circumstance. Her long ponytail swished violently as she ran out of the room, her normally calm Baekhyun-like eyes now filled with anxiety. 
 
Ka eul toddled behind Haneul, grasping her older sister's hand firmly. Though still at a young age of 6, her big brown eyes twinkled with a reasonable sense of maturity. Her short bob hair framed her round face, now flushed pink from nervousness. 
 
I grabbed their hands as I led the two children out of our apartment. "Stay here and don't move. I will be back soon." I quickly ran back into the house, grabbing a temporary backpack from the storeroom before bolting towards the kitchen for the paltry ration we had received earlier as well as some first aid stuff I had from a few months of experience as a part-time nurse. Frustration nibbled at my heart as I glanced at the few packets of biscuits in my hand. Throwing them in the bag pack, I filled a bottle with water and ran back out. We have to leave. Now. It would come soon. 
 
I touched the simple ring on my finger, the smooth surface of the ring as we rushed down the stairs. Pushing them forward, I scanned the surroundings. The once tranquil setting had now turned into a messy, shattered landscape with a nightmarish quality. Chaos had broken again. 
 
We were in the midst of a war, a war that gave us no sign of when or how it was going to come. It has been the sixth day of the war. Husbands and sons were already stationed at the frontline, waiting day and night to help defend their country. Who knows how much pressure they must have been subjected to. The enemies were like a snake, slithering slowly without one sound. We were like the rabbits, fearful but still hopping along steadily, alert and cautious. One move and we could get killed. 
 
People were surging forward, a roar of tongues shouting and screaming aimlessly. Aircrafts zoomed above our heads,giving rise to a worried murmur among the crowd. Just as everyone finally recovered from the shock, a bomb dropped down. The bombing starts now. 
 
The ear-splitting screams from the distance marked the loss of a family member. The whole congregation of people now dissipated, running into different directions. My mind was blank. Safe. Han neul. Ka eul. Those three words were the only thing I could think of. More bombs dropped down, one after another, at different locations. The earth trembled beneath our feet, a huge crack in the earth slowly heading its way towards us. Pushing them away, I fell to my knees as I lost balance. 
 
"Run, just go!" I pushed away the two pairs of frantic hands.
 
Haneul shook her head stubbornly as her tears fell. She pulled me up quickly and in turn, lead us through the crowd. Missiles spiraled overhead. Amidst the chaos, I could only think of him. Is he even safe now? Is he... I shook my head as I used a hand to wipe away the tears that had trickled rebelliously down my cheek. He told me to stay strong and I must. I must.