The Only Star in Her Sky

The Letter

Kai heard the splash of something hitting the water as he turned the bend.

Expecting to see someone, or something, he was surprised to see quite the opposite.

But as he neared the banks, he noticed a pair of boots, and a rather familiar looking sweater.

Sia.

He looked around franticly. "Sia! Sia!" He yelled.

No answer.

Wait. The splash-

Without a second thought he ripped off his shoes and dove perfectly into the lake, his body immediatley tensing at the cold temperature of the water.

Please God let her be okay, He thought urgently.

Finally, spotting her a few feet below him, he swam and grabbed her wrist.

Her eyes were fluttering, bubbles escaping .

Gotta get her to the surface. Gotta get her to the surf- He gulped and took in a deep breath of air as they hit broke out of the lake.

He pulled himself up on the bank, carrying her bridal style, and laid her down on the sandy beach.

Relieved to find her breathing at least, he remembered what little he could about CPR. 

Placing his hands on her stomach, he pressed down in rythm, until she coughed suddenly.

"Sia?" He cried, relieved.

Her eyes fluttered opened, then seemed to refocus on him. "Kai...?"

"What were you doing, trying to kill yourself?" He demanded, harshly.

She closed her eyes, not answering.

His eyes widened. "Yah!" He said, taking her shoulders and shaking her. "Talk to me!"

"Mwoh?" She sat up, eyes big. "I wasn't trying to kill myself!"

"Then what the heck were you doing?!"

"The lake," She whispered.

He rolled his eyes.

"I know it's the lake as it's clearly not the ocean. What were you thinking, jumping into an ice cold lake like that? Here, put your shoes and sweater on," He chucked them at her.

"I... I wasn't really thinking I guess. I didn't know it was going to be that cold... I just... needed to think."

"And ended up losing conciousness," Kai huffed, under his breath.

She stayed silent as she slowly put her boots and sweater on, shivering in the wind.

"We need to get you home," Kai said, softer this time.

"No, wait," She begged, pulling his wrist. "Can we... just stay here? I can't face Jae, not right now."

Her heart was still sore after seeing him cry like that for Soo JIn.

Kai started to protest, then hesitated. Her voice was so small, so pleading, so desperate...

"Fine," He found himself saying."We'll stay."

~*~

Kai threw some sticks together on the beach and lit it with the little pocket lighter he carried around in his pocket (I know, convenient right?) and now had a fire roaring, big enough to dry the both of them  from the lake escapade.

"What were you doing out here?" He finally asked, breaking the silence.

Sia looked at him from across the fire and gave a sad smile.

"Screaming," She said, simply.

"I know the feeling," He sighed.

"It was because of Jae."

He looked up, curious, realizing this was a rather tender subject for her.

She swallowed, scooting closer to the fire.

"He... He misses her."

Kai nodded. Don't we all? He thought, miserably.

"More than both you and me combined, probably."

That statement threw him off guard, and he blinked in surprise.

"Do you mean...?" He was afraid to ask, afraid to hear the answer.

Sia nodded shortly. "But... she didn't feel that way about him."

All of the sudden everything made sense.

The way Jae had looked at him the day he came, how he barely spoke a word to Kai even though they slept in the same room...

Because he loved her.

"She didn't love him back?" Kai asked, surprised.

She laughed, but for some reason it wasn't the "I-Think-You're-Funny" laugh. It was more like a "I-Can't-Believe-It" laugh.

"You were the only star in her sky, Jongin," She said, measuring his face for a reaction.

He in his breath.

Jongin.

Only Soo Jin called him that... only Soo Jin knew him well enough to know that was his name. 

"It's kind of bittersweet, isn't it? The tale of unrequited love, until the very last breath she loved  you. And by her side sat Jae- every day and night, never leaving, while her prince charming was down the street from the hospital filming teasers for his group's comeback. Never once did you call, Kai, but she loved you."

She looked at him, wonderingly, at the tears that traced down his face.

"You love him." Kai stated, staring at her.

She looked down.

"And all that time, even now, he doesn't...?"

She shook her head, then bit her lip and made an effort to smile.

"Hey, it's okay, right? Forever Alone." She tried cracking a joke, gaining a weak but distracted chuckle from her rescuer.

What a confusing scheme- she's in love with him, but the only girl he can think about loved me.

~*~

Kai carried a sleeping Sia into the house bridal style, surprised to see Jae still waiting up.

"Where have you been?" Jae whispered, eyes narrowing into very tiny, angry slits.

Listening to her because you refuse to hear, Kai thought.

The only thing he said was: "The lake."

Jae's face gathered into an even tighter scowl. "Did you do anything to her?" He demanded, his voice threatening.

Kai wanted to hit him so bad. "Who do you think I am?!"

Jae shook his head. "Not what she said you'd be."

Kai glared at him one last time, then turned to set her down on his bed by the fire.

her hair out of his face, he lifted up a silent thought to Soo Jin.

I didn't deserve to be the only star in your sky, Soo Jin, but I'm not making that mistake again.