A Promise Never Kept

The Letter

Kai stumbled out of his part of the room and into the kitchen, giving Jae a bleary glare.

Jae, who was humming, only offered him a bright smile and a piece of toast. "Morning Sunshine,"

"Jae have you seen the-" Sia flew into the kitchen from outdoors, smacking straight into Kai's chest...

And causing him to drop his toast.

"Uh, sorry," She mumbled, bending down... at the exact same time Kai did, their heads meeting a painful collision.

She stumbled backwards, tripping on her own feet and falling flat on her back.

Kai frowned, rubbing his forehead. "Hey, are you okay?" He mumbled, reaching down to help her up.

"Yeah," She chirped, avoiding his gaze. "Fine!"

He gave her a confused glance, then bit into his toast and turned to Jae. "Uh, thanks."

With that, he scratched his head and went back to his bedding area to change.

Sia looked at Jae with wide eyes.

"OMG That was the most embarassing thing that's EVER happened to me," Sia whined, burying her head in Jae's chest.

"OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG MY HEAD HURTS!"

Jae smiled and patted her hair. "I'm sure you'll have MANY more moments that are WAY more embarassing than that was,"

~*~

Kai rubbed his aching forehead, which was pounding not only because of the head on collision with Sia earlier, (which he hardly remembered since he WAS half asleep at the time), but from the events of the day before.

His mind was still spinning.

Him.

Her angel.

They were laying on top of a hill, alone, side by side.

Her head rested on his shoulder, hand fitting perfectly inside of his.

She sighed.

"What?" He asked, turning to look at her.

She smiled up at the sky, a little sadly.

"You debut with EXO next week,"

He grinned, electricity shooting through his body at the thought of debuting.

"Yeah, and?"

"It's just... I never see you much and you're just a trainee. What's going to happen when you debut?" She turned her worried gaze to him.

"Soo Jin," He said her name softly, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear. "Even when I'm not here, I'll look after you... I'll be... I'll be your angel."

Tears brimmed up in her eyes. "Jongin."

He was confused. Soo Jin never cried, not like this.

"I'll miss you,"

"It's not going to be forever," He teased, trying to make the mood lighter.

She just looked at him, then closed her eyes, a single tear tracing down her cheeks.

"Thank you, for being my angel." She whispered, burying her face in his shoulder.

He looked down at her, feeling his heart break a little more at the thought of leaving her behind.

His head dropped into his hands.

"You knew, even then, didn't you?" He whispered out loud.

His stomach was twisted in knots as his head pounded.

 She had known.

Even then, she had known.

And yet... all she could say was thank you.

Thank you....

For a promise he never kept.