The Letter

The Letter

"Kai! Are you okay?" Chanyeol ran up to his friend.

Kai didn't speak; he just stood there, staring at his phone.

"What's wrong?" Chanyeol asked, worried. 

"I need to go. I need to..." Kai looked around him, pensive and frantic. He bit his lip. 

"Okay, slow down... what's up?"

"She's dead," Kai murmured.

Chanyeol was disturbed. He'd never seen his usually cool, preserved friend in this much of an emotional state.

Gone was the smirk that had trademarked Kai, and replacing it was a look of panic and worry that was new to the members of EXO.

"She? Who's....She?" Puzzled now, Chanyeol guided his friend up the steps into their dorms.

"Soo Jin,"

"Who's Soo Jin?"

"Someone I never should have let slip out of my life," his voice was one of bitterness and sorrow.

Chanyeol stared at his friend as he walked, slowly, up to his room.

"She meant a lot to you, didn't she?" he sighed.

 

 

Baekhyun knocked on Kai's door. When no one answered, he slipped the package under the door, wondering why Kai wasn't downstairs with the rest of them

like he ususally was on a Friday night.

"Kai?" he called, softly. "Are you okay?"

He waited for a moment, but no response came.

He sighed.

Chanyeol was right.

Something was wrong with Kai... and there was nothing any of them could do to help it.

 

Kai heard the retreating footsteps and held the package, his hands trembling.

Every fiber in his being hurt when he caught the familiar scent of Soo Jin's perfume as he opened the package; a deluge of memories came out of nowhere...

~FLASHBACK~
"What about this one?" Kai asked, holding a bottle of the perfume that read, Memory.
Soo Jin smiled and sniffed it. "I like it!"
"I'll buy it for you,"
"Really?! You don't have to, you know..." her voice trailed off and she looked at him, pouting.
"I want to, Soo Jin." He payed for it and handed her the little bag.
"Thanks," she whispered, gratitude obvious in her eyes. "When I wear it, I'll think of you,"
His heart leapt.

That had been one of the last times he had seen her... four years ago.

In his shaking hands, he now held a folded, faded piece of paper. The Letter was clearly written in Soo Jin's hand... he could recognize her handwriting

anywhere....but she had obviously been nervous or very, very weak when she wrote this. Taking a deep breath, he opened The Letter and began to read...


Dear Kai,  
I wanted to write you. I really did... about all that's been happening in these parts, but we seem so far away. I mean, even when you're talking to me I know you're not really... well, talking to me. I wanted to tell you everything, I swear I did. I just didn't know if you'd respond, or how you would feel.
Well... I guess you know now that I'm dying; or maybe by the time you read this I'll be dead. I'm sorry we couldn't have been friends closer to my end...
If only I could've written sooner, maybe you would've known. If I'm still alive, I would like for you to come see me. But if not... I know you're busy.
That's the thing, Kai. I guess I was scared to write because I wasn't sure if you would remember me... since becoming a big star you kind of became too busy for me. Do you understand now?
I wanted to write, Kai, so I finally did. I don't know if you can even write back... I just wanted to tell you that I never forgot you, and I forgive you for all those times you didn't call me when you said you would, or when you saw me in the street and walked away.
See, while I was here in the hospital, I realized I didn't want to die crying. So I wrote this letter. I know you probably are too busy to read the whole thing, but I really wanted you to know how I felt.
I don't think I'll be seeing you again. I'll probably be six feet under... or maybe deeper, considering my family. I hope you forgive me for not writing sooner...

Yours,
Soojin Yeo

Kai put his head in his hands and began to sob.