Finding the Turtle

Aish! That Jung Daehyun!

 

"Now what do we do?" Zelo asked hopelessly, his eyes joined together in worry. He looked at Yongguk for help, hoping that he can answer Zelo's difficult question.

 

"Well, we have to find him, right?" Himchan answered, his tone determined and encouraging. I looked up at him, annoyed. 

 

"And where, Mr. I Know Everything, do you suppose we could find him?" I asked in a leveled tone, trying not to pick a fight. Himchan's determined demeanor collapsed, him falling beside Yongguk on the couch. 

 

Youngjae suddenly stood up, his eyes bright and his lips forming a full smile. I looked at him curiously.

 

What was up with him now?

 

"Daehyun probably ran to his parents’ grave! Like in the dramas, when the main characters' parents are dead, we usually find the protagonist crying over the grave!" Youngjae exclaimed, our jaws dropping.

 

This boy knows his dramas too well.

 

"So, what you're saying is, we're going to drive to Seoul Memorial Park and find Daehyun there?" Himchan asked dejectedly, probably bummed out that someone thought of an idea before him. 

 

I smiled a small smile as Youngjae nodded eagerly. Yongguk sighed and stood up from the couch.

 

"I guess we're visiting Seoul Memorial Park," he stated, smiling. He's obviously satisfied we have a solid goal now.

 

"Hyung! I want to get my shoes first!" Zelo shouted defiantly as he tried to outrun Jongup, trying to reach the shoe rack first. I chuckled at the behavior of those two,

standing up also from the couch and putting my shoes on.

 

"Noona, what if Dae hyung is not there?" Jongup asked in a worried tone, pouting slightly at the thought of his hyung, lost in Seoul.

 

I ruffled up his hair good-naturedly, trying my best to smile a real one.

 

"Then we'll continue looking for him. He knows his way back to the dorm, Jongup. So don't stress that much," I reassured, following Youngjae out of the door accompanied by an agitated Jongup.

 

"But noona, Daehyun's not familiar with Seoul."

 

My eyes widened and the second maknae. Daehyun not familiar with Seoul?! He has lived in this part of South Korea for around 10 months! 

 

"What do you mean he's not familiar with Seoul? He practically lived here his whole life - well, at least ten months of it." I bit my lip in worry, imagining Daehyun lost in Seoul.

 

"Well, he and Zelo are the ones who don't know the way around Seoul that much. We even filed a report because we lost Daehyun hyung once," Jongup explained calmly as we clambered in the van.

 

"To Seoul Memorial Park, ahjussi," Yongguk instructed the driver, who nodded and the van. Soon, we were speeding through the highway of Seoul.

 

"So, it's like finding a needle in a haystack?" I asked doubtfully, feeling a weight on my shoulders pressing me down. If we don't find Daehyun in the park, we'll have to search the whole of Seoul. 

 

"Harder. We're going to find a moving eyelash in a large haystack," Youngjae replied darkly, cursing quietly at Daehyun. I leaned back on my seat, a hundred thoughts going through my head.

 

Daehyun, you better be in that park unless you want your funeral to come nearer than you think. 

 

~

 

 

"DAEHYUN HYUNG! JUNG DAEHYUN!" Youngjae yelled as soon as he got off the van. I rolled my eyes at Jongup and Zelo who were asking a dog about the whereabouts of Daehyun.

 

"Answer the question!" Zelo demanded as the poor dog whimpered.

 

Leave it to them to scare animals rather than to comfort them.

 

"Namjoo, go check over there. I'll be over there when you need me," Youngjae instructed quickly, already jogging towards my left. I sighed and walked on the paved path, leading to a lot of graves. 

 

Honestly, the park was breathtaking. There were lots of cherry blossom trees, bushes of different flowers and the graves were neat and clean. There were a lot of families that surrounded each grave, one family was crying over a grave, the grandma patting the back of a middle-age looking lady who was sobbing.

 

Ugh, Daehyun, where are you?!

 

"Noona! Yongguk hyung! I found something!" Zelo's shout rang throughout the park. I whipped my head and ran towards the sound of Zelo's voice.

 

I got to him, panting. He could've just shouted what he found, instead of making us run all the way to where he was.

 

"What is it Zelo?" I asked, peeking behind Zelo. He moved aside, showing me. My blood run cold and I shivered despite the morning sun.

 

It was the grave of Daehyun's parents.

 

It read, "Jung So Ra and Jung Yong Woon. Died on 1995."

 

Daehyun was only three years old. Who took care of him then?

 

"Three years old, and he already experienced such a thing," Himchan whispered from behind me, his voice ragged. I turned my back on the grave, trying not to picture Daehyun's crying face, screaming for his rolls and appa to awake.

 

"No! Don't go! Think of Namjoo!" My mom screamed, her voice high pitched and sharp.

 

I started crying, hugging my knees to my chest. They were fighting again. But this time, apps has a suitcase. Where is apps going?

 

"I've had enough with you Naerin! Can't you understand that I don't like you anymore?! That I hate you?! Don't you dare come near me!" Jae Kyung, my father, screamed at my mom, whose hands were outstretched, trying to reach my dad.

 

Her hair was messed up, the mascara running down her face. 

 

"Please, don't go! This is our second anniversary! Please!" my mom begged, dropping down on her knees and clutching on my dads' feet as if her life depended on it. 

 

"Let go of me you bi-"

 

"Appa! Don't hurt her!" I yelled, my voice going hoarse. My dad turned to me, his eyes red with anger. He got the kitchen knife and went over to me, pinning me down on the floor.

 

My screams were useless as he pushed up my shirt and ran the knife down from my chest to my navel. My screams pierced my own ears as I saw stars, and then, black.

 

"Noona! Noona! Can you hear me?!" Jongup shook my shoulders frantically, hoping he would bring be back to the present. I shook my head once, trying to rid the memory. I blinked a couple of times, Jongup staring at me with worried eyes.

"Noona! Don't scare us like that!" Zelo exclaimed, Youngjae patting Zelo's back comfortingly. 

 

"Now that she's back from the dead, we have a problem. Daehyunnie's not here." 

 

I rolled my eyes at Himchan's statement. It all makes sense to me now. My theory is,

Daehyun still can't accept the fact that his parents died. That's why he's not here. He doesn't want to face the truth. But where could that turtle be?

 

"I'll be back," I muttered distractedly, pushing through Youngjae and Himchan, running away from them.

 

"Aish, if she gets lost, we're not finding her," Himchan blabbed in certainty. Yongguk rolled his eyes.

 

"I hope you're safe Daehyunnie. Namjoo will find you," Youngjae whispered to his self, following the others who were heading to the van.