On Hold

Fall

 

She closed her eyes as she felt the wind blow circles around her. Her mind tried to force all of the thoughts and memories away as she wanted to let the calm wash over her. Her feet were bare as the sand shifted under her feet from the waves trying to pull them away. The wind stung her feet left wet from the waves. Her dress whipped around her as she clung harder onto her jacket, hoping for some semblance of sanity to remain as she felt her heart fall apart.

When her eyes opened, she only saw black. It was supposed to be a full moon tonight but rainclouds shielded its rays from the impurities of the world. Glimpses of white foam would appear as the waves crashed onto shore but they would disappear all too quickly. Only sounds of the waves crashing onto the rocks vibrated in her ears until they too echoed into silence. She felt tears sting her eyes as she remembered watching her world fall apart around her. Loose tendrils of hair escaped her bun, momentarily wiping the stubborn tears that escaped.

Looking into the distance, she saw the clouds move, allowing small stars to fleetingly shine. Their light seemed to mock her with little rays of hope as a small flicker caught off her hand. Bringing her hand up, the silver band seemed almost too tight as emotions choked at her. The band was a token of their love, their dreams and a promise of forever. It was a band that now meant nothing.

Anger shook at her as she grabbed hold of the band before memories of smiles and laughter clawed at her heart, attacking her mind. Her eyes snapped shut, trying to push his voice away from her mind. "I'm sorry," she heard the wind carry his voice. Deep and gentle, it tugged at her tattered heart, drawing her into a belief that he's still here. But sanity pushed its way through as her right hand pulled the ring free, arm throwing the ring into the distance, pleading with the waves to take everything away.

Shallow breaths overtook her as her knees gave out, collapsing into the sand below. Hopeless cries shook her frame as she watched her vision blur with tears. She had been robbed of him: her future, her heart, her dreams. She could only sit there watching as he drew his last breath, unable to take the pain away from him even in that last second. Her hands were clenched in her lap, crescent moons engraved into her palm. As her hands slowly opened, she let out a despairing breath as she saw the clouds move away from the moon allowing its light to catch off the diamond. closed up knowing she wouldn't ever be able to let go. 

 

--

 

Inspiration: JJ Lin's Nonexistent 

character sketch: three