Faded

Fall

 

In this 21st century, what is marriage? A union between two people in love? What ever happened to till death do us part? If people go into marriages looking for forever and always, why are divorce rates at 50%? 

Marriage: the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.

Marriage:  any close or intimate association or union

No, let me define to you the real definition of marriage: a formal agreement between two companies or enterprises to combine operations, resources, etc., for mutual benefit 

Welcome to my life. Where the true meaning of love and marriage... has faded.

 

--

 

Even though it was winter, it was the most beautiful day yet of the season. The sun was shining brightly and its rays warmed the bustling world below. A light breeze blew, but it wasn’t cold enough to be bitter. The smell of freshly made bread filled the air and it seemed that nothing could bring down Seohyun’s mood.

“Seohyun, dear, umma doesn’t know how to tell you this but… you’re getting married.”

Nice cool breeze. There were some flowers- “Wait, what?” Seohyun nearly dropped the cup in her hand. Okay, she did drop the cup of hot chocolate in her hands. But it was onto the table and it didn’t spill as she had finished the content just mere seconds ago so all was good. Wait, no, it’s not. “I’m what?”

“You’re getting married, dear,” her mom merely sipped on her black coffee. Did she not see her daughter’s eyes threatening to fall out of their socket?

“Mom, I don’t even have a boyfriend. How am I supposed to get married? Plus, I just started college, marriage is the last thing on my mind.”

“You’re marrying Jung Yonghwa,” Mrs. Seo said simply.

“Who?” Jong…yung...ha? What kind of name is Jong Yung Ha? Poor guy.

“Jung Yonghwa. The only son of the CEO of Jung Inc.”

Seohyun nodded. “Again, who?”

Mrs. Seo sighed. “You’ve never met him.”

“Yes, exactly,” Seohyun finally smiled, “I have never met this Jung Yonghwa character. If you and dad haven’t noticed, we live in the 21st century. People don’t do arranged marriages anymore. Especially not when the two people involved have never known each other. I will not get married to someone I don’t know. I’m starting college in three months, umma. I’m not planning to get married until way later, say at least four to five years from now?”

“Joohyun, you have to get married.” Her face was solemn.

“Why?” Seohyun was afraid to ask. There must be another reason behind this. One that she wouldn’t like.

“Because if you don’t, your father’s business is going to fail.” 

 

--

 

My version of the arranged marriage story. 

 

I have some poems that I've written but have no idea whether to post them or not. What do you think?