Ending

Fall

 

It was too easy a task to walk away from him. One step in front of the other without looking back. With the backdrop of an empty street with only the stars bearing them witness, she had walked away. No rugged breathing. No stinging tears. Hands not shaking and her heart fully intact. It had been made too easy, almost as though they were just strangers walking away from each other. Turned backs and steps ahead. No lingering attachments. Not even last goodbyes. There were no plans on meeting again. And even if they did, no words would be shared, no smiles of acknowledgements. A clean break, that's what it was.

She wondered how it was so easy to walk away. Didn't she love him? Had they not been happy?

Her heart didn't hurt. She felt no anger. No disappointment. No relief. It was exactly like walking away from a stranger. She paused in place. Took a deep breath and turned around. He was walking away, silhouette blending into the night. Strong and sure footsteps away from her. No hunched shoulders. Eyes staring straight ahead.

It was too easy walking away from him. He had never loved her. From the first moment she looked in his eyes, she had known. It didn't hurt. Not now. Not when she knew her heart for him was already dead.