Ice Angel

How Many Words Is A Picture Worth?

Theme

If you want to feel what I was feeling when I wrote this, then I advise you to click on that link ↑

 


This is the story about two tragic lovers fated to head down the road of – well, tragedy.

 

Lee Ji Eun had never had much of a romantic interest in men. As cute, pretty, smart, and charming as she was, she saw life through lens of gray, finding even romance dull and simple.

 

She had been asked out by numerous men. She never said no to them – at least, not at first. She would simply smile and nod and let them think what they would while she thought things out, picking out their qualities and features and habits and thoughts. Then as they started to think she was theirs, she would bow her head with an angelic smile and depart with naught but a ghost of that glowing smile and a melodic rejection.

 

No man interested her. And she had never gotten any farther with a man besides her quick analyzing and rejecting.

 

That was, until Yoseob came along.

 

Now, Yoseob had done what already eight other boys had done. The standard red roses, a glittery card that shimmered the ground in dust, and the six words she had heard already too many times. Ji Eun bestowed him with a smile – her gorgeous smile – and walked away.

 

What made Yoseob different was that he didn’t accept her sugar coated rejection. He continued to pester her and hang around her; begging, pleading, wanting a chance to prove himself to be someone she would accept.

 

It was new and different; a whole other set of mind for the girl that had never had to think about things more than twice, if not once. And quite frankly, it sort of made her anxious. Never before had a boy gone through such lengths for her and although she would never admit it, it almost caught her interest.

 

Almost, because her interest and attention was too easily directed somewhere else.

 

Ji Eun had never seen him before, nor his type of person. And she had never expected him to be one to step in for her; a girl he had never before met.

 

When things with Yoseob started to get a little out of hand and he started to build a small scene on Ji Eun’s way home, for the first time, the girl felt trapped and unsure how to escape the situation. And as the scene grew and grew, she could only feel more anxious, until another person stepped in.

 

As was said before, Ji Eun had never met him before. So her attention was directed to the tall man that had just picked her up, right off her feet, and stepped off the subway a mere second before the doors closed behind them and swept away in a blur of gawking faces.

 

“Seunghyun.” The mysterious, black clad stranger said when she opened to ask him his name. She clamped shut and nodded slowly. “Don’t thank me.” He spoke again when the thought to thank him had just appeared in her mind. With a certain gentleness a man of his facial expression usually did not have, he set her down on her feet and smoothed out a few wrinkles in her shirt he himself had caused. “Be careful next time.”

 

“And how would I do that?” Ji Eun scoffed before Choi Seunghyun could say anything. He looked down at her, his dark eyes bearing into hers as she stared up at him with a calm ferociousness.

 

“Up to you.” He answered curtly. Looking away only for a moment to take in their surroundings, he straightened his collar so it covered a great deal of his neck, only adding to the darker appearance he gave off. His mouth opened to speak in that deep, resounding voice of his when her soft, sweet one stopped him. “Ji Eun.” Was her equally simple reply.

 

And that was the start of the two’s twisted fairytale.

 

Choi Seunghyun was everything Ji Eun hated. Cold, reclusive, temperamental, inconsistent, hypocritical, moody, and prejudiced.

 

Lee Ji Eun was everything Seunghyun hated. Quiet, analytical, curious, observant, easily distracted, and persistent.

 

With traits like that, how they got along was a mystery in itself. But they never questioned it, not a single step of the stairs leading to their demise. Everything went along rather smoothly, if not for the few little arguments they had for the simple heck of things.

 

Despite that all, they still fell in love.

 

The first man for Ji Eun; and the first woman for Seunghyun. It was something neither of them had wanted to admit at first; whether it was to other people, to each other, or to themselves. But their gray tinted lens had been fixed and they now saw the world in the color it was painted in.

 

As soft spoken as Ji Eun was, Seunghyun was the first to tell her what she had secretly longed to hear.

As rough as Seunghyun was, Ji Eun easily followed up with her own words, evening them out and screwing the clogs of destiny into place.

 

The entire world protested the unification of the unlikely couple, sending first small things to set them off. Friends, family, and other peers to tell them how horrible the other was. None of it worked and the two always came back to each other with a love they had cultivated just for the other.

 

Then things became worse, putting them under pressure and stress with matters even completely unrelated to each other. But again, none of that worked, and Ji Eun and Seunghyun pulled each other back up on their feet, ready to fight the world again with hands interlocked and lips passionately connected.

 

When nothing the world tried worked, there was but a simple resort left they knew would separate the pair.

 

And so Seunghyun left Ji Eun with naught but their possessions and horrible memories that stung at her heart. No ‘goodbye’s, no explanations, no words spared for the girl he’d said he’d loved.

 

Did the tall, brooding man know the pain he left the small, fragile girl?

 

He did, and he let himself condone for his actions.

 

Leaving only more pain for Ji Eun when she’d seen him for the very last time; in the last two minutes before he passed away in her arms.

 

If no force could separate them, then their own emotions could and would be used against them. After finding out just how ill he was, Seunghyun left Ji Eun in the fear that his prominent death would pain her more than if he simply disappeared from her life.

 

But after all its failed attempts, the world just couldn’t leave Ji Eun and Seunghyun with the simple pain of crushed hearts and separation.

 

Persistent, curious, and observant as Ji Eun was, she managed to track down her love.

 

All too late.

 

And as her tears finally fell, both of their faces became wet with salty water now only she could shed.

 

Despite the knowledge that Seunghyun was no longer in pain, and that he would be happier and better now that he’d moved on, the once ice angel molded back into her cold, gray perfection.

 

Ji Eun was selfish, and she knew it.

 

And she wanted Seunghyun once again by her side.

 

 


1, 205 words