A God-Given Talent

How Many Words Is A Picture Worth?

Heechul sometimes wondered, what would he be, if not for an idol? There were so many things he’d done before—this wasn’t always what he wanted, after all.

 

So, sometimes, he liked to experiment a bit. Do strange and crazy things that didn’t always involve being ‘The Beautiful Heechul’ that he knew everybody loved. And today, as his band members looked on with apprehension, Heechul had decided to try professional photography.

 

Of all things, professional photography.

 

Sungmin thought Heechul had finally lost it. Ryeowook was careful to make sure Heechul didn’t hurt anything in their dorm as he moved around taking pictures. Kyuhyun and Hyukjae watched on with amusement as Heechul struck strange poses—strangely, behind the camera.

 

“Hyung, what are you doing?” Sungmin finally asked from his perch on the windowsill.

 

“I see photographers making funny poses like this when they take pictures. And I think it works! It makes my pictures so pretty!”

 

Kyuhyun stifled a loud snort and ended up choking on air instead. Hyukjae hit Kyuhyun’s back, hard, as he tried not to laugh as well.

 

“Hyung, m-maybe you should take a break?” Ryeowook suggested, as he quickly straightened a vase that Heechul had near knocked over for the fifth time that day.

 

Heechul finally lowered his camera from his face, to Ryeowook’s great relief and Kyuhyun’s disappointment. “Well, let’s see the pictures!” Heechul sat down between Kyuhyun and Hyukjae, fiddling with buttons as he tried to get his pictures to display. Ryeowook and Sungmin curiously joined them on the couch, peering over Kyuhyun and Hyukjae’s shoulders—curiosity was natural, after all.

 

And then, they saw the pictures.

 

“…Hyung, what were you taking a picture of?”

 

“The flower vase!”

 

“And that’s…?”

 

“You!”

 

With poorly made excuses, all the members bowed out, giving Heechul bright(they hoped) compliments.

 

Heechul looked down at his camera, a small smirk dawning on his face. He was good, wasn’t he? A god-given talent.

 

The next day, as Heechul uploaded his pictures onto his computer, Sungmin gaped at the screen. “Hyung, when did you take more pictures? That looks amazing!”

 

Heechul glanced at the picture on the screen and gave a small scoff. “I didn’t take it. And it’s not that great.”

 

Sungmin looked at Heechul curiously. Who would he let touch his camera? More importantly, who was so skilled as to photograph such a beautiful picture? “Who, then?”

 

“My cat.”

 

Sungmin blinked at Heechul a few times before nodding and leaving the room. Back in his own room, he let his laughter tumble out like a waterfall. So Heechul’s cat had taken better pictures than Heechul?

 

That sounded about right.

 


438 words