Lights, Dinner, Movie!

How Many Words Is A Picture Worth?

 

With a sigh, Monji sat up on the couch on which she had been sleeping and stretched her arms. Who would call her at this ungodly hour of four in the afternoon? She’d been sleeping so soundly, a sleep completely without dreams – just peace and the sweet abyss of slumber. Then she’d been woken up by a loud, ear-shattering, vibrating scream belonging to none other than Jack Sparrow. Why she’d set his scream from the fourth movie as her ringtone, she had no idea. And now it was coming back to haunt her.

 

She reached over and picked up her phone, silencing Jack’s scream. “Hello?” She muttered.

 

“Monji! Sweetheart, I wanted to—Did you just wake up?”

 

Monji nodded, and as if the caller was psychic (which she sometimes thought he was), he chuckled. “I’m sorry. Good morning, Monji.” He cooed softly. “Sleep well?”

 

Well, if it was him, Monji didn’t really mind that she’d woken up. She smiled softly and lay back down, turning on her side so her phone lay on her ear and she didn’t have to hold it. “Very.” She replied with a happy sigh. “Now what are you calling for? I waited for your call for hours you know…”

 

“And you fell asleep. I know, and I’m so sorry… Can I make it up to you?”

 

She grabbed the phone and sat up, biting her lip in anticipation. It wasn’t like him to offer. She had a right to be suspicious, although all she was was tickled pink. “How?”

 

“You’re at Hyuna’s, right? Don’t come home until six. I’ll see you then! I love you! Bye bye!” Then he hung up.

 

Monji stared at the phone for a moment and continued to blink at it until it finally struck her that she couldn’t go home until six.

 

Well, she could go home early and simply… surprise him and such, but she probably shouldn’t.  It wasn’t like him to come up with something like that, anyway.

 

Two hours…

 

Once it was six o’clock, Monji pulled up in front of her house, promptly on time. Nothing seemed out of place, she thought. She wondered to herself what it was that her boyfriend could be planning…

 

“Sung Kyu?” She called out when she stepped into the house. “Sweetie?” The house greeted her with nothing but silence and she bit her lip, wondering if Sung Kyu had gone somewhere before she’d come home. She plopped down on their living room couch and pulled out her phone, ready to call Sung Kyu, when the doors to the garden slid open and Sung Kyu passed through.

 

“Oh! You’re here!” He said happily, stepping over to her and kneeling on the couch next to her. “You’re a bit early, but it’s okay.” He wrapped his arms around her and hugged her, making her drop her phone on the couch in surprise.

 

“What are you planning, Sung Kyu?”

 

He leaned in to peck her lips for a moment before pulling away and standing up. “Come on!” He helped her to her feet and instantly put his hands around her head, covering her eyes. “I’ll show you what I’ve been working on.”

 

Monji kept her hands on Sung Kyu’s, feeling safer to hold his hands than to try and feel anything around her. She let him lead her outside – the sound of the door opening and the curtain flapping at her face, as well as the slippers he helped her put on – and continued to walk through their expansive garden. Clever Sung Kyu had spun her in a light circle before continuing, and now she was dizzy and wasn’t sure where in her garden she was going.

 

Sung Kyu helped her sit down in a chair and once she was seated, he uncovered her eyes and wrapped his arms around her shoulders. She opened her eyes, and her jaw dropped. “S-Sung Kyu!” She was sitting at a table laden with food under a tree strung with lights and bright glowing lanterns. “Y-you did all this?”

 

“Who else?” Sung Kyu laughed, lightly kissing her cheek before sitting down in front of her. “You don’t think I forgot again, did you?”

 

“…”

 

Sung Kyu dropped his face in his hands. “You thought I forgot.”

 

Monji giggled and waved her hands. “W-well you said it this morning when I gave you your gift!”

 

“I was pretending.” Sung Kyu pouted, looking up at Monji with widened eyes – eyes widened as large as they could possibly get, anyway… “Well. Now that you know, let’s enjoy our anniversary. Together.” He held out his hand, and she took it. With a smile, she picked up her fork and began to eat.

 

“…Monji?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I’m not left-handed.”

 

“You can try.”

 

Once they were done eating, Sung Kyu revealed he had another gift for her. He lead her to another part of their garden, which had also been decorated in bright, hanging lights. A large screen stood in front of a projector, showing off a photo montage of the couple.

 

“Sweetie…”

 

“There’s more.” He pointed to the other side of the tree, where a mattress was propped up under the tree. On top of the mattress lay a blanket and numerous fluffy pillows. Monji looked up at him a split second before he lifted her off of her feet and sat down on the mattress, setting her on his lap. He kissed her forehead and let her lay down next to him and draped the blanket over her.

 

“Tonight, let’s just relax.” He told her softly. “I’ll carry you back into the house if you fall asleep.”

 

She fell asleep.

 

And so did he.

 

But they fell asleep together, in each other’s arms.

 

 


950 words