Leaving, Left, Gone

How Many Words Is A Picture Worth?

The sky was a sweet, soft velvety blue – dark blue, sprinkled with small, glittering crystals, and a large, round diamond. People said you could see pictures outlined in the sky, and as she stared up at the sky, she thought she could, too. But what she saw, was a clear image of him.

 

They’d all told her things would be okay. Everything would work out, and she’d have a fairy tale ending. But as she stared at the face in the sky, she began to wonder if she’d ever feel the warmth of that love again.

 

She lay down on her back, her knees remaining unmoved in the crossed position they’d been in when she’d been sitting. She stared up at the sky some more, wondering, just wondering, as a crystal tear slid down the side of her face, whether everyone was right, and all she had to do was move on.

 

She turned her head to the side and, for a minute, watched the grass grow. The blades of grass as flowed in the gentle wind, picking up the end locks of her hair and the hem of her dress. All she saw were the blades of grass as her eyes began to blur from the pooling of salt water.

 

But then, she closed her eyes and reached out her hand, and there, where her hand reached, she felt the warmth of his skin beneath her hand, and saw the shadow of his face, smiling at her. And she smiled too, because there he was – her happy ending. And maybe she’d have to wait until her happy ending returned, but until then… he was still there, in Shin Hye's heart.

 

 


281 words