Distant

How Many Words Is A Picture Worth?

Yunho turned around from his seat to stretch his back. In turning around, he instantly caught her eye. He gave her a small smile, and she raised her eyebrows blankly before turning away. Yunho turned around as well and sighed -- with what? Frustation? Exasperation? Worry?

 

He always thought she was a bit interesting. Almost most especially, her eyes.

 

He could remember the day he met her. And the few days following those. Her eyes had been wide then, with curiosity, but also downcast, as if she had no desire to be where she was. 

 

She probably didn't.

 

As time went on, Yunho continued to catch her eyes, as if to learn more about her. 

 

She was cynical, and if she disagreed with someone, it would show in her eyes -- rarely ever . She was amused by the small things, because even when stopped smiling, her eyes continued. Her mind went off in thought often, as the cold, murderous look in her eyes simply meant she'd blanked out. 

 

It was only about a month into his knowing her, that the look in her eyes became brighter, and even though she still seemed the same, there was something within those brown eyes that told him she was happy.

 

Two more months, and half a week off of school. Her eyes were blank, and barely held any glimmer of light. And he could have sworn, once, he saw her strong, unseeing eyes leak salt water.  But she'd hurriedly brushed it away and her eyes returned to the blank look he had not yet grown used to.

 

Winter came, and they left school to spend time with their families and have holiday celebrations. When she came back, he noted, there was a small glimmer of light that had reappeared in her eyes -- but it was flickering, like a street lamp that couldn't decide to light up the darkness or simply die.

 

She didn't change -- or so he thought. When he looked again in a number of weeks, he wondered why her eyes were suddenly so bright. Brighter than he ever remembered them being -- they made her glow from the inside out. Hope and love danced in her eyes.

 

They were beautiful. 

 

And they stayed that way until summer came, and she said good-bye for the few months she wouldn't see him. The few months Yunho couldn't see those happy eyes.

 

He waited those months, and finally, it came. He would be seeing her again. Her eyes.

 

But all of his hope shattered in an instant.

 

If her eyes had been cold and distant before, they were now frozen and miles away. They were darker than they had ever been, and there was no light left that he could see. 

 

And that's how it remained. 

 

He felt strange, almost worried for the girl he didn't know well -- only knew her eyes. And yet, he found himself asking around for her number. 

 

 

 

"Smile.

-Yunho"

 

Even though she was at home when the message arrived, something in her reply made him feel reassured that there might be some hope left in her.

 

"Maybe."

 


525 words