Happy Birthday

How Many Words Is A Picture Worth?

I was awoken to the bright sunlight – a sharp ray of yellow light penetrating my eyelids, even after I’d pulled my blanket over my face. But the damage was done, I was already awake. I groaned, quite ready to hit whoever had caused the sudden breach of light on my room. A chuckle sounded next to me, and I felt the blanket being pried from my hands by a gentle touch.

 

A light sensation – like a butterfly’s kiss – brushed against my forehead, then my nose, then my lips. I smiled softly, unable to suppress the happiness I felt bubbling up inside me from the sweet counter to the bitter light. I slowly opened my eyes to find myself drowning in pools of warm chocolate. “Hyun Joong…” I muttered softly, reaching an arm out, longing to feel his soft skin under my hands and know that this fairytale wasn’t a dream.

 

“Good morning.” He replied as softly, leaning forward to kiss my forehead again. I instinctively closed my eyes, allowing his kiss to leave an echo on my body. And like many other mornings – all of which had been as perfect as this was starting out, I felt my breath stop in my throat, and my eyes sting. And, knowing me for this, Hyun Joong caressed my chin and tilted it up, a sign for me to open my eyes and face him. He smiled a genuine, sparkling smile that could have made any sensible woman swoon. “Crying, again?” When I could only nod, his smile grew into a large grin and he lifted me into a sitting position to hug me. I let my arms wrap him in an embrace, feeling the familiar contours of his body as he held me close. “It’s a good day. You shouldn’t be crying.”

 

When Hyun Joong pulled away, my tears of happiness had fallen and he calmly wiped them with his thumbs. “You’re such a dork…” The oh-so-familiar nickname made me smile, and made my eyes sting again. Never a day had passed where I didn’t appreciate having him beside me. There was never a day when I didn’t love him – and I suppose that was what made me cry so much. “But you’re an old dork now!”

 

When I gave him a completely befuddled expression, Hyun Joong put his hands on his hips and laughed at me. “Don’t tell me you forgot your own birthday!”

 

“I won’t tell you then.” I replied smartly, tilting my chin up in a defiant, and yet, teasing way. Hyun Joong could only continue laughing as he sat down next to me on the bed, his weight making me sink a little and fall, hip-to-hip, next to him; I was so close, I was nearly sitting on his lap. He smiled at that, and lifted me to sit in his lap. I squirmed, but only to make myself more comfortable as I nestled against his chest. “Maybe I did forget…” But when he gave me an amused look, I quickly waved my hand and swatted his chest. “I didn’t forget our anniversary, though! It’s our 161st month annivers—“ My words were cut off when he placed his lips against me, giving me a breath of a whisper, telling me how much I amused him.

 

When he pulled away, he pulled a small box out of his pocket and held it out to me. With a curious glance at him, I untied the eggshell-colored ribbon, and pulled off the lid. “Oh, Hyun Joong…”

 

He reached into the box and held up the headband, lifting it in front of us to catch the rays of light gleaming through the window to catch the jewels embedded in the small crown and cast glittering rainbows all around our room. “It’s gorgeous…” I couldn’t help but sigh; however, most of the beauty was inflicted by the idea that he had chosen the headband out for me – and a crown, nonetheless.

 

“Isn’t it?” He replied before turning to me and placing the headband in my hands. “It’s your birthday. And today, you are a princess. And you know what a princess gets?” I shook my head, although a small phrase tugged at the back of my head, pulling up a memory from 13 years past. “Breakfast. In bed.” Hyun Joong kissed me again, making me sigh, for his kiss was more filling than any breakfast. “I want to give my princess breakfast in bed.”

 

And with those words, seemingly out of nowhere, he pulled up a bed tray laden in plates of sweet creams and fruits, savory eggs, fluffy pancakes, crisp waffles, and shining syrups to accompany them. A white rose lay to the side of the spoon, perfect in its unfurled petals and tight lips. “Oh…”

 

“White rose. ‘I am worthy of you’.” Hyun Joong whispered in my ear as I picked it up and pressed it to my lips, giving the silky petals a gentle kiss. As my face flushed, I pressed the rose against Hyun Joong’s lips. “Thank you…”

 

“Happy birthday.” He placed the tray to the side and wrapped me in a kiss sweeter than any sugar on those ivory plates. I clutched onto the rose, but let the headband slip from the weak grip of my pinky, where it fell towards the floor, catching instead on a small spotted plant. The sun again caught the light of the jewels, cloaking the room in glittering rainbow as a rainbow of emotions soared through my mind.

 

“Happy birthday, princess. And happy 161st anniversary.”

 

 


924 words