Kitty Pillow

How Many Words Is A Picture Worth?

 

I had almost forgotten.

And I cursed myself for that. Over and over, cursing myself silently.

Cursing myself as I freshened up, cursing myself as I tied up my hair, cursing myself as I dressed in the first thing I found in my drawers, cursing myself as I grabbed my things and ran for the store.

How could I have forgotten? It was such a big day, a day I had been so ready for.

Except, you know, I almost forgot the biggest part of it.

 

Cursing myself as the sounds of a tinkling bell echoed through the shop.

“Good morning, Ji – “

Cursing myself as I bolted straight past the cashier.

Overall, it was a lot of cursing.

Time had been able to teach me just about enough words, with a few of his favorite choices mixed in with mine.

Speaking of his favorite choices, what was his favorite color again?

 

If I hadn’t tied up my hair that morning, it’d be puffed up like a bush; I was grasping my head that tight. And maybe I was getting a few weird looks from kids and their parents passing me, seeing as my curses weren’t entirely silent anymore.

“Jihyun, you’re scaring the shoppers.”

When I turned around, I know I must have looked rather wild, because my best friend started to laugh. She reached behind my head to pull my scrunchie out of my hair. She held it in front of my face, still laughing at me. “Blue hearts?”

I grumbled and lowered my head so she could tie my hair back up. “He gave it to me.”

“Oh yes, like he gave you that raggedy plaid shirt, jeans, and shoes – “

“I thought the scrunchie was kind of cute.”

“You hate blue hearts.”

“Besides that.”

She continued laughing and patted my head once she’d pulled my hair into a loose bun on top of my head. “So I’m guessing you woke up this morning and realized you didn’t get him his gift?”

More curses.

“You’re brilliant, Jihyun. You had it reserved, remember?”

And cue – guess what? – more curses. I hit my forehead with my hand, a facepalm in the general use of the word. “I didn’t remember…”

“You’re nervous, I suppose it’s natural.”

 

It took her about an hour to calm me down and force me into eating something, seeing as I had run here straight out of my bathroom. It took us another couple of minutes to find a box big enough to stuff that huge thing in, and another while to wrap the big box.

Even more time for me to run back home and get ready.

The things I did for him.

 

“What is it?”

“A big box.”

That granted me a rather painful hit on the head. And after all I had gone through that morning, I am gifted with a hit on the head.

“Thank you for pointing out the obvious.”

“You’re welcome!”

And another hit.

“Kyuhyun!” I whined.

“Jihyun!” Mocking my habits too, now. “Now really, what is it?”

I scoffed and crossed my arms, as well as my legs when I sat down on his bed. “There’s no surprise if I tell you.”

“Spoil the surprise.”

I growled and picked up one of Kyuhyun’s numerous pillows, slamming it over my face.

“I’m kidding. I’ll open it.”

I felt a weight next to me on the bed and turned my head, uncovering enough of my face to see the smirking Kyuhyun. He always did this. Piss me off and be sweet to make up for it.

While it was a totally cheating move, it was one of the reasons I had fallen in love with the crazy, evil genius called Kyuhyun.

I pulled the pillow into my lap and scooted back on his bed, nestling into the nest of assorted pillows that covered his blanket. Kyuhyun turned around to smirk at me. “Why don’t we skip the entrée,” he patted the top of the box that I had worked so hard to wrap, “and go straight for the dessert?” He nodded at me, that absolutely malicious smirk gracing his perfect face.

“Entrée’s are usually made to compliment the dessert.” I retorted, covering my cheeks to hide any possible blush creeping up on my face.

Oh yes, this was the girl that was cursing at pillows in front of a bunch of shoppers in a store after having just jumped out of bed.

Meet Kyuhyun, the devious brainiac that knew how to flip a person’s persona.

“Isn’t it the other way around?”

“Are you going to open it or not?”

Kyuhyun only laughed and turned back around to unwrap the box.

Which I had wrapped in paper twice.

In string three times.

In tape four times.

He laughed harshly when he had finally reached the cardboard of the box. “To make someone work so hard for their entrée… do you want them to starve?”

His eyes were scary.

But he continued with the unwrapping of his birthday gift.

I was going to have such a brutal night. I had covered his gift numerous times in more string and tissue paper. There was no way I would be let off easy for that.

“Maybe for once, you’re right.” Kyuhyun said, holding up the gigantic kitty pillow I had gotten him.

He always slept with a lot of pillows and I knew he liked cats, so I had gotten him a kitty pillow. “Trying to pass off a stunt double so you won’t be in trouble?”

And there was my first warning.

Kyuhyun tossed the pillow at me, hitting me squarely in the face so he had time to climb over me trap me under his body. “But… I guess I like it.”

“Guess?! Do you know how much time it took to – “ I stopped my lecture, feeling any sound escaping my mouth instead be swallowed up by his own mouth. I slowly slipped my arms around his neck and he tilted his head, deepening our kiss.

When he pulled back, he gasped slightly, looking down with one of the sweetest expressions I had ever seen on his face. It was these moments that I liked most about my evil genius.

“I know. You don’t have to say anything, I know. Thank you, Jihyun.”

I shrugged, a slightly haughty expression on my face. “I love you, Kyuhyun.”

“I love you, Jihyun.” I could just see the blush spreading over his cheeks as he said so, even though he had dimmed the lights while we were kissing.

“Happy birthday.”

A small thank you barely escaped his mouth before he captured my lips again with his own, soft, luscious ones. He used one hand to run through my hair and caress my cheek, the other moving down to hold my waist. Then Kyuhyun pulled back with a smirk. “But don’t think that the entrée filled me up that much, okay? I’m not going easy on you tonight.”

 

 

 


1,164 words